Heidi Klum and Seal Want to Fix Your Marriage

Dr. Michelle Golland: It has been announced that Heidi Klum and her husband, Seal, are working on a new Lifetime show about love and marriage, called "Love's Divine." As a relationship expert who works with distressed couples who are near divorce, I think this is a great idea. We hear so much in the news about celebrity marriages falling apart. From Tiger to Tipper, we hear about couples who have fallen out of love -- or fallen into the arms of 20 other lovers in the course of their marriage. To hear a true Hollywood-marriage success story is a breath of fresh air.

seal-klum-1.jpg

Heidi and Seal are obviously doing something right in their marriage: They have been married since May 2005 and have three children together. They shared the following keys to a successful relationship during a recent interview. I couldn't agree more!

1) Find common ground.
2) Seize the moment.
3) Two words: commitment and respect.
4) Embrace both the big and small gestures.
5) Put each other first ... even before the kids.

Neither of them are therapists, but that doesn't mean they don't have valuable opinions (based on their own experience) to share with the public. My support for those who are willing to spread the word about ways to create connected and authentic relationships is unwavering. I know some people feel that Heidi and Seal giving relationship advice is ridiculous ... but I say, more power to them!

In working with couples, I have found that having positive role models who actually do this "healthy relationship" thing can be one key to a successful marriage. The more we see good, real, authentic marriages on TV, the better off we will all be. I believe this TV show could create the opportunity for people to get some real tools to help them weather the inevitable storms that occur in any marriage -- and some creative ways to stay connected, as well.

If people tune in to their show because they are celebrities ... great! My hope is that when the show is turned off, viewers will simply try the five steps laid out above. If more couples embraced just those five things, I promise you we would have fewer divorces and more happy marriages.

next: My Kid 'Played Doctor' with Her Cousin!
Anon June 7, 2010, 3:39 PM

Seal is a chocolate man with a scarred face. I don’t know what she ses in him.

Relationship Advice June 10, 2010, 12:21 PM

Love Seal and Heidi Klum!

Chase Online Banking October 18, 2010, 12:25 PM

So not really on the same topic as your post, but I found this today and I just can’t resist sharing. Mrs. Agathe’s dishwasher quit working so she called a repairman. Since she had to go to work the next day, she told him, “I’ll leave the key under the mat. Fix the dishwasher, leave the bill on the counter, and I’ll mail you the check. Oh, and by the way…don’t worry about my Doberman. He won’t bother you. But, whatever you do, do NOT under ANY circumstances talk to my parrot!” When the repairman arrived at Mrs. Agathe’s apartment the next day, he discovered the biggest and meanest looking Doberman he had ever seen. But just as she had said, the dog simply laid there on the carpet, watching the repairman go about his business. However, the whole time the parrot drove him nuts with his incessant cursing, yelling and name-calling. Finally the repairman couldn’t contain himself any longer and yelled, “Shut up, you stupid ugly bird!” To which the parrot replied, “Get him, Spike!”

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them.

Treatment for Hemorrhoid November 27, 2010, 10:20 PM

Fine website. Very helpful, I absolutely enjoy reading your post.

How To Clean Shower Tile Grout December 15, 2010, 1:11 AM

I guess what I’m trying to say is, I don’t think you can measure life in terms of years. I think longevity doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with happiness. I mean happiness comes from facing challenges and going out on a limb and taking risks. If you’re not willing to take a risk for something you really care about, you might as well be dead.

mens current hair trends 2013 December 22, 2010, 4:56 AM

Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen.

atkins diet December 27, 2010, 5:37 AM

I have been trying to find the google for such info and i wanted to say thanks to you for the post. By the way, just off topic, how can i download a copy of this theme? – Thank you

Jefferey Mormon January 27, 2011, 1:47 AM

Very useful reading. I appreciate your effort, great share.

senior quotes for 2011 funny March 8, 2011, 4:24 AM

Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

Billy I. Mitchell March 29, 2011, 5:23 PM

Thanks

Cheryl U. Lutz April 5, 2011, 6:59 AM

Hi all, - uncovered your current webpage inadvertently when drifting around the net this evening, and pleased that i did! I like the structure and tones, but I should point out that I’m having difficulty when it loads. I’m making use of Safari 3 web browser for mac, and the footer will not align properly. i am convinced I have used precisely the same design on a customer’s web site, but the menu seems alright on mine. I suspect the fault is with my outdated browser & I suppose it is time to upgrade!

Jennifer E. Bennett April 9, 2011, 7:07 PM