Is Divorce Contagious?

Dr. Wendy Walsh: Just one week after former Vice President Al Gore and his wife, Tipper, announced their divorce after forty years of marriage, their 36-year-old daughter is reported to be divorcing as well.

Al and Tipper Gore and Karenna Gore Schiff

Karenna Gore Schiff, the oldest daughter of former Vice President Al Gore and Tipper Gore, has separated from her husband, Dr. Andrew Schiff. Gore Schiff is a graduate of Harvard University and Columbia Law School. She married Andrew Schiff in 1997, and they have three children.

This news got me thinking. Can divorce be caught like a virus, just as a good mood or bad manners can spread through peer groups? The answer is yes. All social behavior is shaped by group affiliation. Swearing, church-going, drug use and good driving habits are all examples of social behavior that tends to run through clusters of social groups. Now a new study has found that divorce can also be affected by peer pressure.

James H. Fowler, a professor of political science at the University of California, San Diego, has found that divorce can spread from one couple to their friends and family -- and even affect couples who are a couple degrees of separation away. Yikes!

One thing his study found is that if your siblings divorce, you're 22 percent more likely to divorce yourself. The divorced-friend factor is even more influential: People who had a divorced friend were 147 percent (!) more likely to be divorced than people whose friends' marriages were intact, the study said. Yikes!

Of course, this study was only based on 5,000 couples, so it's hard to generalize about the whole population ....

Do YOU think divorce is contagious?

next: Summer Airline-Travel Strategy: Divide and Conquer
Golf Clubs September 21, 2010, 12:43 AM

In correlated information, 1 from the females who had sex with Tiger Woods stated he by no means talked about golf throughout intercourse. Although, he did preserve his head down and his left arm straight.

Fashion Merchandising October 1, 2010, 4:50 AM

I really like this guide, I’ve passed this alongside to my coworkers within the fashion business. I am a recent graduate of the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York and am now currently operating using a forum to convey all market professionals with each other. I enjoy this website and will be coming back once again.

Windows Vista Themes October 18, 2010, 10:04 AM

So not really on the same topic as your post, but I found this today and I just can’t resist sharing. Mrs. Agathe’s dishwasher quit working so she called a repairman. Since she had to go to work the next day, she told him, “I’ll leave the key under the mat. Fix the dishwasher, leave the bill on the counter, and I’ll mail you the check. Oh, and by the way…don’t worry about my Doberman. He won’t bother you. But, whatever you do, do NOT under ANY circumstances talk to my parrot!” When the repairman arrived at Mrs. Agathe’s apartment the next day, he discovered the biggest and meanest looking Doberman he had ever seen. But just as she had said, the dog simply laid there on the carpet, watching the repairman go about his business. However, the whole time the parrot drove him nuts with his incessant cursing, yelling and name-calling. Finally the repairman couldn’t contain himself any longer and yelled, “Shut up, you stupid ugly bird!” To which the parrot replied, “Get him, Spike!”

sniper games October 24, 2010, 7:57 PM

Just discovered this site through Yahoo, what a pleasant surprise!

Kena Nadell October 25, 2010, 5:21 AM

I’ve been looking around on the web looking for ideas on how to get my personal blog coded, your present design and style and style are fantastic. Did you code it yourself or did you get a coder to get it done for you personally?

Bobby Machowski October 25, 2010, 3:49 PM

My brother and I were just discussing this particular very topic, he is usually looking to prove me completely wrong. Your current view on this is perfect and exactly how I truly feel. I just e-mailed my brother this site to show him your perspective. After looking over your web site I added and will be returning to read your posts!

Phebe Verhoff October 26, 2010, 2:59 PM

is a tool to complement.

Lorna Oltman October 26, 2010, 3:51 PM

My mum and I want to develop a blog site much like this for our website, I stumbled across your internet site looking to get some ideas on the theme as well as layout. I am taking some html coding class while attending college and not confident that I would be capable of produce a site such as this one at this time. Did you code this blog all by yourself or employ a qualified?

Arielle Mayorga October 27, 2010, 3:30 PM

I was just studying this post it’s very well crafted, I am exploring on the net looking for exactly how to start this blog site thing and your website is simply very impressive.

Andria Swasey October 27, 2010, 8:56 PM

It’s special.

Edwardo Mckibbens October 28, 2010, 2:58 PM

I would imagine that I may not be in a daze in relation to it.

Gayle Murril October 29, 2010, 6:26 PM

A deeper analysis of reveals just how eager gals are.

Ethan Wingerd October 30, 2010, 2:13 PM

But, how does that help you to do this?

Demarcus Gaucher October 30, 2010, 5:00 PM

That applies if I were promoting for because that’s even better if you get my drift.

Margaretta Glaspie October 31, 2010, 12:19 AM

You don’t need to play around with in that situation.

Beau Landgraf October 31, 2010, 8:08 AM

I ought to find some more cash.

Nancy Garala November 3, 2010, 10:17 AM

I sensethat there is a reason to speak upon anything that provides so much news regarding.

Hubert Faddis November 3, 2010, 3:03 PM

It is very clear that I cannot do the same old things relevant to that head on.

free wii games November 3, 2010, 4:28 PM

Hi there

Lashawn Hatzell November 9, 2010, 10:02 AM

One item we need to remember is that it takes time when using.