Just a Mom STILL Addicted to 'Twilight'

Christina Montoya Fiedler: I avoided it for so long. I heard my friends talking about it, but never joined in. I'd seen all the trailers, the author interviews -- you can't miss them if you turn on the TV. So, as with all pop-culture phenomenons, it was hard not to get sucked in.

Twilight

I went (reluctantly) to see the first movie with my mother-in-law. I saw the second movie, "New Moon," pretty much of my own volition, yet I hid all my excitement deep down. It didn't help that everywhere I looked, it stared me in the face -- "Twilight" this, "Twilight" that. It's time I let it out: My name is Christina Montoya Fiedler, and I am a "Twilight" addict.

There, I said it. Granted, when I read the first book, I got hundreds of pages in just in one evening, and that was enough to set the addiction in motion. I had my head stuck in the books every free chance I got -- and all four books are still sitting on my nightstand, just waiting to be reread. These were borrowed from a friend who warned me what would happen if I started reading, that I would be hooked. And now I am -- like some lovesick teenager.

Pathetic? Maybe. But I find it to be peaceful. Aside from the dramatic love story between Bella and Edward, the saga offers a fantastic escape from my hectic days as a mom -- a chance to drift into a dreamland where vampires roam, true love lives and chivalry is expected. I can let my mind go blank and feel the stress melt. It's like a vacation. I don't have to think. I don't have to be "on." I just read and let my mind take me to Forks. (On a side note, I never even knew that a place called Forks, Washington, existed. I had to go Google that to find out.)

The whole experience reminded me of where books can take you, and the validity of a good read. Something must be said for the emotion that written prose evokes. And reading a good book is truly an adult activity, which again brings me down to earth and back into my own skin as a person. I can choose where I want to go, what I want to do and with whom I spend my time, just through reading.

So have I joined the ranks of "Twilight"-obsessed fans? Maybe I'm not that far gone, but you can be sure to find me in a movie theater on June 30 for the theatrical release of "Eclipse." Here's hoping that the director stays true to the pages of Stephenie Meyer's action-packed, blood-sucking, vampire-lusting books.

Moms: Are there any of you out there who have the same "Twilight" obsession? Help me feel a little more normal!

next: Girl Drowns on Class Field Trip -- Who's to Blame?
Anonymous June 24, 2010, 5:54 AM

This may or may not be true, I’m not sure. But I will say that the majority of my friends in their thirties and forties in love with Twilight have some sort of trouble in their relationship (whether small or large is irrelevant). My friends with the most stable, loving relationships are not the Twilight obsessed ones. Maybe this obsession with Twilight is a longing for those same obsessive love tendencies that may not be the same as they first were in a relationship? Not saying this as fact, just a thought to consider.

eLLe June 24, 2010, 9:29 AM

Well, speaking for myself..I love the Twilight series and dare I say that I too am obsessed. I’m in my early thirties and quite happy with my marriage thank you very much. Although, while reading the books I think my husband was a tad miffed that I was ignoring him, but really it’s not much different than when he gets a new video game.
I enjoy reading. I enjoy the escape from reality. I could say the same about a lot of books. The Twilight series is just really well written. They accomplished what the author wanted. To pull you in and make you feel like you were living the story. That’s the mark of a truly good book not of a relationship with problems (small or large).
Like you, Christina, I tried to avoid the hype. One night I was bored and decided to watch the first Twilight movie. This led me to borrow my friend’s books which led to a week of my nose stuck in book after book until I was done. I was in such a hurry to find out what happened next but I admit I was a little sad when I was done. Now the movies are a great excuse to go out with the girls and leave my kids at home with my husband. He’s just thankful I don’t try and drag him along.

Christina  June 24, 2010, 11:28 AM

It has nothing to do with your relationship with your husband. I am more than happily married. It’s just about a good read. Thanks eLLe for the support!

Rita June 24, 2010, 12:59 PM

Sorry, but I scoffed when I read the first comment. I’m a happily married mommy of 2 and I can’t get enough of Twilight.

I started the first book exactly one year ago and became hooked. It’s a great story .

jenni June 25, 2010, 12:07 AM

My name is Jenni, I am happily married and a mother of one beautiful son and I am addicted to the Twilight Saga! lol I bought the first the first book in paperback and the other 3 in hardcover (paperback wasn’t released yet) and I have read the first book so many times it’s falling apart! I had to go and buy the hardcover lol I agree that it is a nice get away where anything is possible. My husband actually enjoys the movie, but is most looking forward to Eclipse because i told him about the book :)

Des June 25, 2010, 7:40 PM

I thank Stephanie Meyer almost everyday for giving me a delicious escape from the hectic days of being a career woman, wife, and mother. I’m finally over the giddiness of first love of the Twilight series, but I certainly enjoy falling in love with it from time to time.

Kat June 28, 2010, 10:47 PM

And then one’s daughter engages in a controlling, manipulative relationship because it’s “true love” and who are you to tell her she’s wrong?
Twilight might be a nice romance for adults who know better, but they are giving young girls very wrong ideas about what is okay in a relationship. No man should dominate and control his partner like Edward does to Bella

alwaysf lking to download September 11, 2010, 8:03 PM

Usually I don’t write-up on blogs, but I need to say that this article incredibly forced me to perform so! Thanks, very nice article.