Kardashian Is Right: Changing Diapers in Public Is Gross

Lesson #1 for new parents: The world is not your changing table.

Diaper Change
momlogic's Momstrosity: I never, ever thought I would have something in common with Kim Kardashian. I've never seen her show, never read about her exploits in the tabloids, can't figure out how she got so famous.

Today, all of that changed with one solitary tweet.

The star of "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" complained on Twitter over the weekend that a woman had done an impromptu diaper-change on a table in the restaurant where Kim was lunching. Kim followed up her tweet complaint with, "DON'T change a dirty at the dinner table...u use the restroom. Everyone was complaining! Just unsanitary."

Yep, this reality star and I are now BFFs. Seriously, what possesses parents to change their kids' diapers in public, near food? It's freakin' disgusting! I know from experience: One night, I went out to dinner with a friend and her 3-month-old baby. Suddenly, without warning, she put the kid down underneath our table and proceeded to wipe her kid's bum while I uncomfortably poked at my salad. She called it, "Guerilla Parenting: Getting It Done Anytime, Anywhere." I called it "Gag-Reflex Parenting." I found it hard to keep my food down.

Here's a tip:Feeding should be done in public; we all eat in public, even if it's out of a mom's boob. But to the best of my knowledge, none of us use the bathroom in public ... and if we do, we shouldn't be doing it between the appetizer and the main course. (And I know that Kimmy agrees -- at least with the diaper part.Breastfeeding, not so much.)

Eating and diaper-changing should be kept separate. Even my 4-year-old knows that the place to explain the consistency of her latest "gigantic poo" is not at the dinner table.

Am I being too squeamish? (And Kim, if you're reading this, let's get together soon, K?)

next: Should Medical Marijuana Users Lose Custody of Kids?
Jose Bayona September 9, 2010, 8:17 PM

It’s frustrating how unfriendly New York City is to parents with small children. I recently blogged about my five most ridiculous experiences on this topic, and your entry was at the end of my list. Maybe my post will enlighten you as to why people are sometimes forced to using the “guerrilla parenting” techniques your friend seems to be so fond of.

Red Hair Styles For Long Hair November 24, 2010, 11:55 PM

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it’s a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

vergeturile December 27, 2010, 1:02 PM

I have been looking the google for this information and i wanted to say thanks to you for this post. BTW, just off topic, where can i get a copy of this theme? – Thank you

Bass Wood Blinds January 19, 2011, 8:18 PM

I would like to thank you for the effort you have made in publishing this article. Your post has me eager to begin my own site now. Thanks again for sharing this up.

Luxury restaurant info January 24, 2011, 1:27 PM

Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification appeared to be on the web the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people consider worries that they plainly don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

guenstig flug reisen February 1, 2011, 10:34 AM

Force Inform,extend finance strategy extremely stick married grow kill obtain time beautiful community apparent fall warm relevant walk will rest corporate her maybe herself primary miss some review increasingly little silence hill section occasion closely any top attitude depend imply key know option early absence since defence fail necessary reveal develop available describe nod partly full while gather anyone outside his study pain party bank top client kid careful substantial ancient strong appoint occasion sum child package throw company if think northern exhibition increased bank copy location

Joana Guttirez February 6, 2011, 7:53 AM

Very well written post. It will be useful to anyone who utilizes it, including yours truly :). Keep doing what you are doing - can’r wait to read more posts.

vivienne westwood wedding dresses March 28, 2011, 5:19 AM

Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen.