Kyron Horman: Why Haven't the Parents Spoken Out?

We can't stop thinking about missing second grader Kyron Horman. He's been missing for seven days. But why haven't his parents spoken out yet?

Kyron's parents have not gone on camera to make a public plea for their son. C. W. Jensen, a retired Portland, Ore., police detective, said that's not unheard of -- but it's not the norm, either. "Generally, parents in cases like this are incredibly distraught," he told KATU. "They're almost just dysfunctional."

Kyron's stepmom has gotten criticism for posting trivial messages on Facebook (such as, "Hitting the gym tomorrow") since her stepson has gone missing. She didn't change her profile pic to one of Kyron for six whole days -- even though her husband and countless friends and concerned strangers all did.

Jensen said that the stepmom's Facebook activity -- especially the stuff about "hitting the gym" -- is unusual. "What I know from being an investigator and dealing with parents in tragic situations like this -- homicides, kidnappings, stuff like that -- they just really couldn't much function other than to sit and wait for us to call," he told KATU.

What's wrong with this picture?

next: New Trend? Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen's Neon Hair
RedSG June 10, 2010, 2:44 PM

If these statements are facts, that she was on facebook and going to the gym, then something is wrong. But more important than that is that police are not calling it an abduction or criminal case at this point and are referring to it as an isolated incident. The only person we know that Kyron was with that morning was his step mom - and I personally think the reason we don’t hear more about that mysterious witness that saw him at 9 am is because that person saw him with the step mom. Police don’t tell us everything for very good reasons and I think they are waiting for the mom to “break”.

The Mom Venture Blog June 10, 2010, 3:08 PM

Just to a correction. She actually was not playing a game after he was reported missing. She was playing it at around 1pm. If you live in a different time zone than it would look like she was playing it after that, but I’ve been to her facebook page and I live in Oregon and it showed it at around 1pm. Sounds a little odd with “hitting the gym”, but I did read that that could have meant that she was going there to put up flyers or just her way of blowing off steam.
It still seems strange to me that she didn’t change her facebook picture untill just the other day though, and made her page private. I would have already had my page private!
But, who knows.
The whole thing seems so odd.

Kammi June 10, 2010, 3:09 PM

According to the facebook page, she was actually playing Treasure Island at 4:34 pm Central time which would have been 2:34 pm Pacific time —— 1 HOUR before she found out he was missing. Please get your facts straight. I’m not sure if the retired detective looked at her page or if he is taking someone else’s comment. Facebook shows all times relative to each person’s time zones… not the time zone of the person whose page you are looking at. If you read the articles out there, the sighting after 8:45 was from someone at the school.. not Terri.

jeff June 10, 2010, 3:10 PM

Even without the Stepmothers behavior, I still find this situation suspicious. Skyview is a relatively rural school. It is hard for me to imagine that someone would abduct a random kid in an elementary during school hours, especially if the school is so far removed. Unfortunately, I can’t deny my suspicions that if there were an abductor he/she knew Kyron. The other possible scenario is that he wandered off- I guess they are looking at that possibility, but from what I’ve read he isn’t likely to just wander off.

I really hope he is OK.

PDXmomoftwo June 10, 2010, 3:16 PM

I’m a parent of two in Portland Public Schools and have been watching this case since around 6:30 or so on Friday evening when I received an automated message call about a PPS child who hadn’t returned home from school.

I visited her Facebook page several times before she privatized it and saw for myself her “hitting the gym” post, as well as posts about looking forward to sleeping in clean sheets, what movie she was watching, and then she systematically went through people’s well-wishes posts and “liked” them.

The games she plays on Facebook may post to her profile even when she isn’t actively playing; some of the posts at odd times were of other players “finding” something she’d hidden in the game “Treasure Island”. I don’t play any games on Facebook, but have been told that the timestamp on the posts from the game can be because of other players’ actions - each post identifies the person doing the action.

The gym post, though, was a bit much. Who can go do a workout when their child is missing?

Mercy June 10, 2010, 3:23 PM

I have looked at so many articles concerning Kyron and my prayers are with him. An article I read said hid best friend was the last to see him. The friend was sitting by the door and Kyron told him, he was going to see an electrical project and kyron never went into the classroom. Also when roll was called and Kyron was not their,some of the children pointed out to the teacher that Kyron’s bag and jacket were in the classroom. I do not have the links, “sorry”, I was reading them last night.

Mercy June 10, 2010, 3:31 PM

Also the fact that the parents have not publically televised anything, just thinking, maybe they were contacted and told not to. Also this story has kept a very low profile in many states. I am in Florida and there is nothing in the news or forums. And that is very odd concerning a missing child anywhere in the U.S.

Sandy June 10, 2010, 3:34 PM

While I’ll admit that a few things she’s done are kind of weird, I don’t see how not showing up on tv makes her look guilty. There’s a long list of parents crying on tv who were later arrested, so I don’t think showing up on camera should have any bearing on whether or not someone thinks she’s guilty.

As far as the facebook posts, I think the time stamp can be different than the time she was posting. If she posts at 1 pm Pacific Daylight Time and someone on the East Coast looks at her page, I think that it will look like she was posting at 4 pm.

As far as the gym … I can imagine anyone in her situation would have a lot of pent-up stress and anger to deal with and a workout would help with coping. From what I heard the father has been going to the gym, too. I’ll admit she could have sounded less flip about it.

I’m not saying she’s not guilty - no one knows. But I do think that the reasons people are giving for thinking that she is guilty are dumb - and not logical.

Mommy Dee June 10, 2010, 3:36 PM

I too found her post weird… look who has time to “like” peoples comments when your baby is missing. She kept posting comments that included a lot of “I’s” instead of “we are greatful” it was “I am grateful” I,I,I. Going to the gym adding a ton of friends. It almost seems like was enjoying it. Even if she has nothing to do with his dissaperance. I think she is a cold person. who can go about their life like that?

Anonymous June 10, 2010, 3:37 PM

I thought the mom’s behavior was odd too, until I started to think that maybe the police are directing her in some way. Maybe there is some crazy person out there who has been communicating with her on the computer, and that person is who took Kyron.

I just can’t imagine a mom harming her children or step-children.

HM June 10, 2010, 3:41 PM

I truly hope that I am wrong in my suspicions, but I also saw the step-mother’s facebook page with the “hitting the gym” comment and all the smiley faces after posts, and I just don’t get it. If any one of my family members was abducted I would be a mental wreck doing everything I could to find them or breaking down in a corner somewhere. It’s also just weird in my opinion that everything on the page revolves around the little girl and even after little Kyron went missing that didn’t change (except for the photo from the science fair). even if the parents have no involvement (and I really hope thats the case) it’s still so sad that there seems to be obvious favoritism in the family.

Ann June 10, 2010, 3:42 PM

It is just weird behavior. Not sure what to make of it. It is possible that Kyron was abducted by a stranger but that still doesn’t explain the lack of sensitivity and attention Kyron’s case is receiving on the step-mom’s end. I’m not sure if people remember Robert Manwill’s case because the step mom’s absence in that case is similar to Kyron’s step-mom’s presence (or lack there of) in Kyron’s case. Robert Manwill was a boy from Boise, Idaho, who died slowly and painfully. Robert was tortured and beat for weeks by his mom’s boyfriend as his mom watched and did nothing. Robert Manwill’s body was missing for days and the mom was NEVER seen on camera or at any of the police’s press conferences. Not a good sign, people.

Traci June 10, 2010, 3:46 PM

Are you people kidding me? You are all lambasting the stepmom as though she was this kid’s only parent. What about biomom? What about biodad? Why are you all lashing the stepmom, as though she is the only person in his life? Look, I know nothing about the case— which I guess is why I find all this out of context messages so horrible.

My point is: All of you are besmirching her character, expecting her to respond in some manner that meets what standard? Yours? The biomoms? The biodads? Who is she supposed to please here? And why is she the only one you’re attacking?

Here’s a big shock from the stepmom world: We’re not the moms. Biomoms generally make that abundantly clear. We’re treated like interlopers. You expect us to act like saints while simultaneously reviling us and compartmentalizing us into some “wicked” stereotype.

Maybe she’s not wicked at all. Maybe she is just getting by, trying to attempt some semblance of normalcy, like many folks do when faced with horrible circumstances.

I have no idea whether she is guilty, but in and of itself, updating one’s Facebook status does not a killer make.

Knock It Off June 10, 2010, 3:48 PM

Why would you purposely post false information like this? Or do you just not have ANY concept of what time zones are? It was determined many days ago that the alleged FB postings were reported by people in a different time zone who, like you, don’t seem to be able to convert Eastern Time to Pacific Time.

You sound like someone who is so anxious to judge and vilify the step-mother that you’ll latch onto any rumor to support your arrogant and misguided opinions. You are doing the missing child no favors by spreading false rumors about his step-mother, who by the way, was the primary female caregiver to him since infancy.

You DO NOT know what she is going through or how she feels. Law enforcement has told everyone they’ve interviewed not to talk to the media. You are just making assumptions that are very vile and unproductive.

And what is your real motivation for singling out the step-mother? The father and biological mother have not stepped in front of a camera for your benefit, so why aren’t you spreading false rumors about them? If you’re going to smear people based on lies, why not go all out?

To this point, you mentioned her going to the gym. Why didn’t you also include that both the father and step-mother went to a gym? And why did you omit the information that this gym is ALSO a drop-off point for donations and a distribution point of fliers? The gym has been serving as a place to reach out to the community and raise awareness. Yet, you chose not mention ANY of that information. You chose only to paint the step-mother in the least positive light for your own purposes.

It sickens me that you would post false and misleading information like this about a missing child case. Do your research. Actually LISTEN to the press briefings. It is beyond irresponsible of you to post rumors and false information and then try to drum up a lynch mob.

KRIS June 10, 2010, 3:56 PM

Thought from the first minute the step-mom did something! Just a feeling is all!

ConcernedMom June 10, 2010, 4:12 PM

The whole thing seems odd because it IS odd. However, unlike many people I’m not going to be so quick to judge the stepmom, let alone suspect her in any foul play. I understand why she is the first person many people would look at considering all of the horrible news stories in the past where the parent WAS responsible. In my gut (and it could be wrong) I don’t believe this is the case here. I also am under the suspicion that whoever DID take Kyron knew him and I feel Kyron left voluntarily with that person. As far as his stepmom’s facebook activities and the family’s reluctancy to issue a statement through the media, whose to say what is “normal” in this situation? It is easy to sit around talking about “if this were my child I’d…” but it isn’t one of our children is it?? So what if she wants to go to the gym and blow off steam? I actually think that is rather healthy…It’s better than her being out partying at some bar, pretending nothing is wrong. Imagine what everyone would be saying then! Also please remember that she has a 1 1/2 yr old to care for in addition to agonizing over her missing 7 yr old and dealing with public scrutiny. I also live in OR and can back up the fact that she was NOT on fb playing treasure island AFTER realizing Kyron had gone missing. As Kammi stated, please get your facts straight. I don’t know about everyone else, but if my child went missing I can honestly say that I don’t know what I would do or how I would be behaving…I’m sure I would be a mess and would probably be exhibiting behaviors that other people perceive as “strange”. When she is ready, I’m sure she will make a public appearance- although I really don’t see how that is going to help. Even IF Kyron happens to be watching the 6 pm news, I don’t see how that is going to bring him home. I just really hope that they find him soon, and unharmed.

Anonymous June 10, 2010, 4:23 PM

My friend’s daughter was abducted and killed last year. After about a week of no facebook at all, she suddenly returned. Her posts were awfully sad, mostly needing support kind of posts. No flippant “gym” types of posts at all. All her photos were of her daughter. Even now, six months later, her posts are rarely joyful and her facebook friends still give her messages of hope.

ConcernedMom June 10, 2010, 4:36 PM

Traci and Knock-it-Off, well said! I’m glad I’m not the only one getting ticked off reading these posts. And since everyone (including myself) were feeling voyeuristic enough to log on and read through step-mom’s fb posts, let’s at least be real. To say she was being “flip” about her posts is pretty ridiculous…did anyone else notice that her gym comment was in response to someone else’s comment to her? Get a clue people! You are unfairly judging this woman…Have any of you tried to raise awareness about Kyron or tried to volunteer in the search efforts (for OR residents)? It’s a lot easier to waste time stalking stepmom’s fb posts and make radical judgements isn’t it?? No wonder she privatized it

Anonymous June 10, 2010, 4:47 PM

I’ve been following up on this story since it first came about, and I immediate felt sorry for the step mom, and concerned that the word step put her in a bad light, then I saw that she has basically raised kyron from an infant, so step is just a term in my book, I also got on her face book, the dads was private to begin with, and I have to admit, Im sorry to those of you that are getting really defensive at the negative posts but I to noticed the “I am so lucky” and “I am grateful” comments she was leaving, the smiles, and the flip “hitting the gym”, you ask why everyone is making this about her, well she is making it about her, I truly want to believe she has nothing to do with this, and I am not sure she does, but I am also am not sure she cares what did happen. Again my apologies to those defending the way she is doing things, my heart went out to the family, unfortunately the video of them coming out of the gym after there workout was enough for me to say, something is just wrong here,

Ann June 10, 2010, 5:31 PM

Yeah…. I guess it would be easier to defend the step mom had she not been seen coming out of the gym. I’d wait till the facts are in but until then it is safe to say that the step mom is possibly guilty of not caring - to say the least.