Kyron Horman: Why Haven't the Parents Spoken Out?

We can't stop thinking about missing second grader Kyron Horman. He's been missing for seven days. But why haven't his parents spoken out yet?

Kyron's parents have not gone on camera to make a public plea for their son. C. W. Jensen, a retired Portland, Ore., police detective, said that's not unheard of -- but it's not the norm, either. "Generally, parents in cases like this are incredibly distraught," he told KATU. "They're almost just dysfunctional."

Kyron's stepmom has gotten criticism for posting trivial messages on Facebook (such as, "Hitting the gym tomorrow") since her stepson has gone missing. She didn't change her profile pic to one of Kyron for six whole days -- even though her husband and countless friends and concerned strangers all did.

Jensen said that the stepmom's Facebook activity -- especially the stuff about "hitting the gym" -- is unusual. "What I know from being an investigator and dealing with parents in tragic situations like this -- homicides, kidnappings, stuff like that -- they just really couldn't much function other than to sit and wait for us to call," he told KATU.

What's wrong with this picture?

next: New Trend? Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen's Neon Hair
allie June 10, 2010, 7:52 PM

Unfortunately the investigators are keeping things quiet because this is a body recovery. Thats why they are not allowing the public to assist in the search. To preseve the evidence. They already know the step mom killed him. What they don’t know is where she disposed of the body. I would search any creeks, lakes, ponds, Rivers. She made herself an alibi by taking him to school in the morning and purposely making sure that his teacher saw him at school and she also went into another teachers classroom with him so another adult saw he was at school. She then takes a photograph of him in his classroom as evidence he was at school that morning. Then about 4 1/2 hours pass where she obviously suffocated him and did away with him. At 1:30 that day she conveniently goes home and uploads that science fair photo on to her faceboook, again as proof that she was at home at the computer, and so she is viewed as a proud parent. The police wont say it is her because they don’t have the body yet but believe me they know all they need to and her arrest will be made as soon as he is found. This will be a death penalty case because not only was it a murder on a child but very much premeditated. The investigators did not set up shop in the familys home for nothing. They are there to keep an eye on her and to collect as much evidence and odd behavior as they can. Such as Staying out of the media spot light, Facebooking the night he went missing, playing online computer games hours after reported missing, Daily Gym Workouts, She Did it. Ever heard of Interrogation investigators come on!

allie June 10, 2010, 8:05 PM

Casey Anthony, Misty Croslin, Susan Smith, Diane Downs, Andrea Yates, Ward Francis Weaver, Westley Allen Dodd, Christian Longo, and Terri Horman What do They All Have in Common??? CHILD KILLERS!!!!!!

Shannon June 10, 2010, 10:34 PM

Omg I just don’t know what to think except that I hope & pray that lil Kyron is okay!!!

guest June 11, 2010, 5:02 AM

Mobile phones can access facebook so it could be that she was at school before 8 and playing on her phone while Kyron was setting up.

1. Kryon could have gone outside to look for a frog in the woods and just got lost. Maybe he forgot something in the car and his step mom was gone and he tried to walk home. His Grandmother described him as dreamy.
2. Why does Kaine have custody over the biological mother. Check all of their relatives homes and close friends.
3. Does Intel offer Kidnapping insurance, maybe the picture was create to create an alibi
4. If he was abducted they only had a 15 minute window of opportunity between 8:45 and 9:00am

Redsg June 11, 2010, 7:10 AM

Unless all of the police are incredibly stupid, and I don’t believe they are, the indications from police are that this is an isolated incident, not a random abduction. And since most children are hurt or killed by a family member, and since the step mom was the last person with him, I hate to say it, but with her actions, she seems guilty. And to me, that is even more infuriating to think people are searching when she may well know where he is. I hope I am wrong, but at this point, it isn’t looking good no matter where Kyron is.

nomorelies June 11, 2010, 7:53 AM

The thing that bothers me the most is that the school didn’t contact the parents first thing when the kid wasn’t in class but his belongings were & his friends had seen him at the fair. My school would have a truant officer or Vice Principal or something on the phone “toot sweet”. The entire day was lost before his family knew anything was wrong.

Disgusted w/Step-Mom June 11, 2010, 9:48 AM

This story has really caught my attention. In the beginning, I read online about Kyron missing. I also read alot of negative/bashing comments directed towards Kyrons step-mom. I thought, ‘people are so cruel and iggnorant!” I felt disgusted. As, the week has gone on, I have a different opninon. I have many friends and I know that if they or I were ever god forbid in a situtation as this. They nor I would NEVER NEVER EVER put the statements on facebook. “going to the gym!!!!” Who does this??? As more time passes and still Dad and Stepmom have never spoke out to this child in hopes that if someone does have him, he may see it and know in his mind that people are frantically trying to find him! I don’t think step-mom is concerned at all bec. from everything I have read over this week, I think she knows where he is! All of these strangers, hunting for this boy in Sun, Rain and Cold. While the parents are “working out”. Its sick!!! I would be out of my mind and I think alot of others feel as I do!
She prob. wanted Kyron out of the picture bec. isnt her daughter the biological child of his Dad? If so, she prob. wanted him out of the picture. So many ppl changed their photo on FB to Kyrons BUT not Step-Mom!!! She for days had the time to screw around on the computer as if its any other day, yet she continued to leave the photo of her daughter up!!??!
I could go on and on…
I feel strongly she had everything to do with this!
I pray they find him.

Beth June 11, 2010, 9:59 AM

Going to the gym?!?! Are you kidding?

As the Mom of a missing adult son, who was found deceased 9 days later, I can tell you for certain, my whole days, moments, seconds, were filled up with being involved in searching for him; getting posters distributed; speaking to the media. It was an all-consuming time, where every second were thoughts of him, prayers, and fear for his safety. As stressed as I was, I sure as heck could not have considered going to the gym, let alone functioning on any other level than having my full focus on trying to find my child! And my child was not even the vulnerable age of 7!

Something is wrong with this picture. I love my step-children and step-grandchildren, and if any one of them were missing, my life would stop, just as it did when my son went missing. Every breath would be focused on finding out what happened to my loved one.

This woman’s behaviour does not spell concern, and is NOT a natural reaction to stress. I am sure the detectives have already picked up on that and are investigating.

Not speaking with them media is excusable, but “hitting the gym”. Something is not right with this situation. Barely functioning when your child is missing, is the appropriate and normal response.

Comment.. June 11, 2010, 10:02 AM

If the Stepmom is responsible for this, I can’t wait for her to be sentenced to prison forever. Picture perfect family of 3…not so perfect huh?

Kim Bennett June 11, 2010, 10:21 AM

I am sorry that some of you feel the stepmom is being vilified, however you have to understand that time and time again it is a family member involved. This plays a huge part in people being doubtful of family, ecspecially when she was the last known person to see this child and he simply vanished into thin air.I personally am not blaming anyone but I do feel uneasy and it is a very strange situation.

deanna June 11, 2010, 11:01 AM

i understand there was a talent show after the exhibit?why did the stepmother not stay for it? also was there a stalker in the school that day following them everywhere?i mean they said the school was crazy that day people in and out i just dont understand with people in and out all am no one saw this child with any one? they had to have gotten out of the school? i pray he is found safe.

j June 11, 2010, 11:05 AM

Seen alot of these types of cases over the years. The stepmom is definitely suspect. The police didn’t interview kids, etc. from the school until Sunday. It would be incredibly difficult for any person to remember seeing him at exactly 9:00, especially a kid, and it’s too close to the last time the stepmom says she saw him. This witness does not clear her from suspicion.

comment June 12, 2010, 12:01 AM

i think the boy is hidden in the school. my son goes to another portland public school and i spoke to his teacher. what the media is not telling the public is that two teachers saw kyron leave the school WITH the stepmother. the stepmom is a reading teacher who worked at skyline and knows the ins and outs. the building is very old and very big, lots of places to stash a dead child. but the search isn’t at the school it’s miles and miles away on sauvie’s island. this boy did not wander into the woods. i saw the news conference today. the stepmom put on a show for the cameras, crying and holding on to kyron’s biomom (not a good actress at all), but her eyes are cold and evil. nobody is trying to be mean. we just want answers. the only logical answer is that the stepmom did it and hid him in the school. even my son said “that boy is not alive anymore”. our family prays that kyron is at peace and that justice will be done. and what’s with the “vigil” they are planning for 6/27? who plans a vigil a month after a boy goes missing? by then it will really be the memorial. so sad. so very very sad.

Anonymous June 12, 2010, 2:38 AM

Where are these claims of planning a vigil later in the month? I have seen that mentioned on two different sites, but I don’t know where that information comes from.

Staff June 12, 2010, 7:38 AM

I guess I’m a bit bothered…
People saw Kyron at school that morning. His Best friend, Tanner, even briefly spoke to him.
My question is, why did it take the entire day for staff to realize he was missing??? Don’t you see that he isn’t at his desk? I imagine he had gym, music, art or library? Why didn’t they say, “hey, where’s Kyron?” I know that when children go to a function in the school during school hours, that head counts are to be done when you arrive and when you return. Was this done?
I think staff was perhaps to anxious to put the school year to a close. I don’t know how he vanished and no one saw it happen. From everything I read, it doesn’t sound like he would just wander away. What reason would he have to go outside? Not to mention, kids, staff and visitors… if someone grabbed this child, someone had to see something or see him being overpowered or yelling…something!!! Do still think its odd he had a CSI shirt on. I read somewhere online how stepmom could have set everything up. Has a pic. of him in front of his science project..that puts him there. Ppl saw her there, so thats taken care of. If there was a talent show, why didnt she attend this? When I saw her when the family spoke out, she was a poor actress. She didnt look right to me. Hugging the biomom..no tears…stepmom come on…

Something's wrong June 12, 2010, 11:01 AM

From the very start, I thought it was the step-mom. But it’s very bizarre that the dad has custody over the real mom, since moms are the primary caregiver and get the custody. It makes you think something is wrong with the real mom. Also this is an FBI case, and FBI cases are not usually for things like this (FBI is usually involved when someone takes him to another country — maybe a relative took him to protect him from harm). Also there was NO amber alert and people are calling this an Isolated case. It’s sad to say, but Kyron has 2 step-parents and a mom who he sees once every 2 weeks and lives with his dad, possibly he’s getting abused (sexually or emotional) at home. Maybe the step-mom knew he was being abused, tried to take him to safety. Maybe that’s why the step-mom doesn’t act so sad, is because she knows he’s safe and she knows where he is. I honestly think this is a family situation not a stranger/predator abduction. And I think the reason why they aren’t divulging info (the famliy/police) is because it’s a family matter and I don’t think it’s meant for public interest. This whole thing is weird, and I think it’s definitely a set up or at least it was planned. Is there anyone in Kyron’s family who was abused as a kid (mom, dad, step dad, step mom)? It’s weird that that the real mom hasn’t even spoken also, let alone the dad. The step mom’s attitude is definitely bizarre, but I do think she has to do with his disappearance possibly in a positive way.

Helenstreet June 12, 2010, 7:05 PM

I live in the Portland area, and I have been following this case closely. I am a mother with 4 children—one of them a boy, Kyron’s age—and I feel so badly for this little boy. I don’t feel at all that Kyron wandered off outside on his own. Although I have my strong suspicions, I am not in any position to point the finger at anybody, and I believe that the truth will eventually come out. It is highly unlikely that Kyron is still alive, and LE is probably doing a search and recovery at this point. Like others have stated—once they find Kyron an arrest will likely be made rather quickly.

Again, this is purely speculation, and i am not trying to incriminate anybody: If a member of Kyron’s family did have anything to do with his disappearance, I personally doubt if there was any premeditation involved at all. It could have been an abusive situation or an angry outburst that resulted in an unforgiveable and deadly accident. Once again, I am not pointing fingers at anybody; I do not have enough information, credentials, or expertise to do that.

Jane June 12, 2010, 7:34 PM

I noticed someone asked the stepmom to post Kyron’s missing poster to her Facebook, but she never did it. Thousands more fliers could have been put up if she’d put it on her Facebook page. I’m afraid this isn’t going to end well, but I do hope for the best.

Rob June 14, 2010, 8:37 AM

The Facebook behavior is VERY disturbing.

If my child was missing, I would not eat, sleep, or rest until I found him. I would not be in an emotional state to do anything regarding Facebook, physical exercise, or anything similar. I would be on the phone contacting search dog experts, hiring private investigators, driving all over the city, going door to door.

I know everybody second-guesses how people behave in the news, but in the new photos of the parents/step-parents, the mother/stepdad look devastated while the stepmom/dad seem much less distraught.

Tlilly June 14, 2010, 12:08 PM

I also agree with the fact that her FB posts do not make her a murderer. As a mother who had a stepmother….your relationship is not like that. You are held off as sort of an outsider when it comes to the “family” affairs. It is completely unfair to hold her to the standards of the bio-mother.

But, she was the last person to be seen with him. So obviously that does include her in a “list of suspects”.