Lap Children on Planes: Unsafe!

You know how airlines say that babies under age 2 can fly for free if they sit in your lap? Well, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) is now advising paprents to plunk down the cash to get Baby his or her own seat.

Woman using laptop with daughter on airplane

Deborah Hersman, chairman of the NTSB, told CBS, "Saying it's OK to have a lap-held child sends the wrong message to parents. It's not OK to have a lap-held child in an aircraft. The laws of physics don't change for babies. They need to be restrained, too."

The Association of Flight Attendants issued the following statement: "AFA does not believe that allowing a child under 2 to be held on the lap affords the child the same protections as the other passengers. For that reason, AFA has advocated for the use of child restraints during takeoff, landing and turbulence for 15 years. After all, per the Federal Aviation Regulations, everything on board an airplane must be secured or properly stowed for takeoff, landing, and often during flight -- except children under 2 years old."

Moms: Do you travel with your babies on your lap?

next: Warning: BlackBerrys and Children Don't Mix
Vista Themes October 18, 2010, 10:41 AM

@chels I know what you mean, its hard to find good help these days. People now days just don’t have the work ethic they used to have. I mean consider whoever wrote this post, they must have been working hard to write that good and it took a good bit of their time I am sure. I work with people who couldn’t write like this if they tried, and getting them to try is hard enough as it is.

Take Your Own Senior Pictures November 25, 2010, 12:24 AM

There are only two ways of telling the complete truth—anonymously and posthumously.

Sample Small Business Organizational Chart December 15, 2010, 12:22 AM

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it’s a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Our Little Pumpkin Baby Shower Ideas December 15, 2010, 12:47 AM

Creative 21St Birthday Party Ideas January 6, 2011, 1:13 PM

Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen.

2011 bathroom colors January 31, 2011, 8:59 AM

Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

Ann February 7, 2011, 11:06 PM

I have one thing to say. If you walked on board, and they showed you to your seat, and there was no seat belt, would you notify the flight attendant and expect to be reseated? Absolutely! And why? Because you deserve a seat belt. Guess what, so does your baby. Be a voice for your babies when they cannot speak for themselves. The FAA is direct and harsh about securing a cabin for critical phases of flight. They want everything tied dow, including empty coffee pots, except for your baby. How does that make you feel that the FAA has decided your baby is a part of a calculated risk and is less important than an empty coffee pot? It makes me mad. I am a mother, and I am within the industry, and I have seen things happen. Nothing will change without educating people on the realities of the choice you are making for your kids. You would not head out on the freeway while breastfeeding your baby, why on earth would you consider doing it onboard an aircraft? Truly folks, none of the reasons behind why you are traveling matter. Can you really afford to not secure your baby properly? I don’t know about you, but I really would prefer that my babies not be a part of a calculated risk scenario. And by the way, there are incidents of babies who have survived horrific aircraft accidents solely because they were in their car seat. Unfortunately, there are many examples of babies that didn’t make it because they weren’t. And the argument that they cry when you put them in the seat… Does that mean you get them out on the freeway? My 20 month old son likes forks, he cries when I take them away. Do I let him stab himself because it seems to keep him occupied? I didn’t think so.

teacup pigs for sale johannesburg February 8, 2011, 1:54 PM

Pay no attention to what the critics say… Remember, a statue has never been set up in honor of a critic!

best chrome paint review February 21, 2011, 3:18 AM

Coming home from very lonely places, all of us go a little mad: whether from great personal success, or just an all-night drive, we are the sole survivors of a world no one else has ever seen.

pet wolves for sale February 28, 2011, 9:46 AM

I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crises. The great point is to bring them the real facts.

red short halter dresses March 7, 2011, 11:49 PM

Every great advance in natural knowledge has involved the absolute rejection of authority.

senior yearbook quotes parents March 8, 2011, 1:37 AM

I’m astounded by people who want to ‘know’ the universe when it’s hard enough to find your way around Chinatown.