Supermom Stops Runaway School Bus

Last week, we brought you the story of an incredible mom who noticed an empty bus rolling toward her son's middle school -- and a group of kids standing on the sidewalk. Thinking quickly, she jumped in, slammed both feet on the brake and stopped the bus, surely preventing what could have been a catastrophic event.

woman with cape

The principal and the local community are calling this Methuen, Mass., mom of two a hero. So are we!

Momlogic sat down with Lorie Aliano (in between her part-time job as a nurse and her son's T-ball game) to hear her side of the story.

"When the bus was moving, I said to myself, 'I need to get on that bus and stop it somehow, before someone gets hurt,'" Aliano recalls. "My adrenaline was at a very high level at this point, and my main focus was to stop this bus and pray that it stopped."

The bus did indeed stop -- all thanks to her Herculean efforts!

But Aliano is modest about her new "hero" status. "I didn't do this to be called a hero," she says. "I thought if I didn't stop the bus, someone would get hurt. I never thought it was going to get this much attention."

Now that's one super mom!

next: 5 Reasons I Don't Want a Pot Dispensary in My 'Hood
halo fan June 9, 2010, 5:54 AM

who cares!!

Stacie June 9, 2010, 10:02 AM

This is great! Kudos to that mom. Why was the bus rolling along w/ no driver in the first place, tho?

Robin June 9, 2010, 10:16 AM

What’s with all of the trolls on here lately?

anonymous June 9, 2010, 12:38 PM

Hey, anyone think to ask…where was the bus driver or why was the bus rolling. The kids probably wouldve moved before a bus rolled at 5 mph into them so its probably not a SUPER MOM, but I still say kudos to her for her quick thinking and brave behavior. Good job mom.

lorie  June 10, 2010, 2:17 PM

well the bus driver was in the school…. I would like to see you do what I did… because I was shaking after it….

Rebecca June 11, 2010, 6:25 PM

Way to go !!! What quick thinking and acting.

duma June 11, 2010, 6:37 PM

this story is so fake

Dallas June 11, 2010, 6:56 PM

This story is totally believable, I know because I have done this myself…except it wasn’t a bus it was our van and the kids on the sidewalk was my neighbours plate glass window. I understand the adrenaline racing through your body and you don’t think so much you just act. When my daughter ran in and said that the car was rolling towards the house I just ran out, jumped in the open sliding door, one step into the driver’s seat and both feet on the brake, stopping about 2 metres from the neighbours window. It took me a minute to pry my hands from the steering wheel after my husband made sure the van was in gear. So to the person who said it was fake, you shouldn’t comment on stuff you don’t know about. And well done super mum!!

chris June 12, 2010, 7:01 AM

hey duma were u in site if so how come u didn’t jump and do it…
I give this woman all the credit….. like she stated she doesn’t consider herself a hero she was just glad knowone got hurt… read the story….. some people are just so negative …..