Jenny from 'Raising Sextuplets' Can't Live Without Girls' Night Out!

momlogic's Vivian:

Raising Sixtuplets

Since she's an ER nurse and mom of six, no one would argue that "Raising Sextuplets'" Jenny Masche has her hands full. A true example of grace under pressure, Masche maintained her infectious positive attitude throughout our recent chat. She can even keep it together whilst in the throes of a potty-training mishap! Read on for parenting insights and season highlights from this do-it-all mom!

momlogic: Your kids just turned two, right? Anything terrible going on?

Jenny Masche: It's not too bad. [My husband] Bryan thinks it's harder, and I guess it can be in some ways when this one's crying and that one's fighting with the other. I think it's easier now that they're a little older -- it's less physical work. But when we go out, they all want to put on their own clothes and shoes at once, and I just want them to let me do it so it doesn't take an hour!

ml: Congrats on your recent move to Destin, Fla.!

JM: Thank you! I loved the adventure of moving. We've always been around both of our families and were looking forward to spending some time, just the eight of us, as a family. The hardest part of moving was when the kids said goodbye to their grandparents. That felt awful! And it took some time to adjust. At first, one of our kids said he wanted to go home -- meaning back to our old house -- but now we pull up to our new house and all the kids say, "Yay! We're home!"

ml: What do you love most about your new hometown?

JM: The beach! We go down there around five or six o'clock and the kids just roam while we sit together and watch them. It's warmer than the Pacific and there are hardly any waves, so the kids can actually go in with their little boards. It's always a new adventure to them!

ml: What's going on with the BP oil crisis over there?

JM: Destin runs on tourism. Even though oil has yet to wash up here and the beaches are full, you can feel the change. People who were looking to book their vacations in advance don't know when the oil will wash up, so they aren't booking their trips. Everyone's really depressed about it -- the fishermen, the hotels and restaurants. It's so sad.

ml: I'm sure all the moms want to know -- do you get any sleep?

JM: I really don't need much! I've worked as an ER nurse and am used to a weird schedule. Ever since before I had kids, I've liked to stay up real late and have some "me time." When Bryan and the kids are asleep, the house is real quiet and I can just get things done.

ml: How do you get things done during the day?

JM: When we first moved here, Bryan hadn't started school yet and the kids weren't napping real well, so we'd pile them all into the car and ride around for two hours running errands, like going to the bank or to the store. Eventually, the kids would fall asleep and it would be like a date! Now we just trade off and go ourselves when the other is home.

ml: Do you guys have date nights?

JM: Yes! We try to have two a month. We joined our church just as soon as we moved here, and met so many nice people -- including some teenagers who are great babysitters! I work some nights, so I like to put the kids down when I am home. Once they're asleep we let the sitter take over, [and we] sneak off and go on a date.

ml: How about girls' nights out?

JM: I can't live without them! I'm just getting a new business off the ground with some of my girlfriends, so we get to meet and have lunch. Or we'll go see a movie at 9:45 at night. Just being around other women and having adult conversation once in a while is so important to me.

ml: What advice would you give a mom expecting multiples?

JM: Hmm ... there are a few important things. First, try your best to make time some for yourself. I try to take 20 minutes to a half hour to myself every day, just to go for a walk or think. It rejuvenates me and makes me feel so much better. Second, enjoy every phase! When the babies came, I vowed to do that. Most people have one kid, then a few years later have another and get to go through all the phases all over again. We aren't having any more kids, so when a phase is over, it's gone -- that's it. So I try to embrace every single phase by being in the moment, because once it's gone, it's gone.

ml: How do you handle stress?

JM: I think my faith has helped a lot. When one kid has diarrhea and the other is peeing on the floor, sometimes I just go into my room and lay on my bed for five minutes and talk to God. Eventually, I'll think: You've blessed me with six kids because you think I can handle it. So I go handle it. It's my form of meditation, or my "time-out." Hey, moms need a "time-out" too sometimes!

Spend your "time-out" watching Jenny on the season premiere of "Raising Sextuplets" on WE tonight at 10e/9c!

next: Teen Accepted into Four Ivy League Universities
kalyn June 24, 2010, 7:17 PM

Jenny, it doesn’t seem that your husband is any help to you or the children. He is one of the children himself and wish he would help you more and he would quite complaining

Bea June 24, 2010, 9:43 PM

I thought Jenny was a PA, not a nurse.

Angela July 22, 2010, 7:02 PM

I think it’s personally disgusting giving any attention to these people that are clearly exploiting these 6 children. How can they even call themselves good parents - these kids should be taken away from people that choose to put their own children on tv for financial gain!
I will boycott anything to do with these horrendous people as well as spread the word to any and all who will listen.
Shame on your organization for glamorizing child abuse!

Sent from my iPhone

Angela July 22, 2010, 7:04 PM

Shame on your organization for glamorizing child abuse!

Sent from my iPhone

M Lynn July 23, 2010, 4:56 AM

I have only watched a few of these shows but, remember that sick-to-your-stomach feeling you got when Kate Gosselin denegrated Jon? That same feeling happens when Bryan speaks. This show is not about watching cute little children play, it’s watching a marriage in trouble. Bryan’s statements are phrased around himself, never the family. What is good for him, what he wants, etc. Jenny seems like a grounded, loving mother but struggling to keep the positive outlook on her marriage. Bryan is immature and self-centered. This is not going to end well. I, for one, can’t watch.

Joelle July 23, 2010, 11:17 AM

I agree FULLY with MLynn. Bryan is horrible. He makes my blood boil. He is a selfish, self righteous, rude, disrespectful, nasty, nasty man.

It’s sad to think those girls will learn this is OKAY behavior and will allow themselves to be treated like this and the boys will learn this is how you treat people. Jenny better get on this and stop it quick!

I will not be suprised in the least when this couple is divorced in a few years. How could ANYone put up with that ‘man’??

Sheri July 24, 2010, 11:07 AM

I hope the show stays on forever as it is refreshing to see what “really” goes on in a lot of marriages! Don’t deny it. Bryan is so disrespectful,not just to Jenny, but to his parents and in-laws!! Someone needs to put him in his place. He should NEVER speak to peaple like he does, especially older people. Jenny puts up with way too much from him. Not sure why Jenny wants to get away from all the people who love and care for her and the kids. I think Bryan has bullied her into the move for his own selfish reasons.

Lizzie July 24, 2010, 5:23 PM

I’m so glad to hear that I’m not the only one that thinks Bryan is horrible to his wife. I agree with Sheri that Jenny moved because HE wanted to. He seems to have such an ego and self-esteem problem and takes it out on his wife. What husband picks out the new home, ugly paint colors and then yells at his wife about furniture placement all on national TV! …very selfish and controlling. Poor Jenny. I hope she forms a large support group in FL.

Lexie July 25, 2010, 1:43 PM

I fully agree with the comments above. Jenny seems like such an amazing mom and does not deserve to be treated the way Bryan treats her. By watching his father on the show, it seems he learned and practices the same behavior.
I hope he will be able to watch the show and realize how rude and disrespectful he is and hopefully seek help before his kids think it is appropriate to treat people the way he does.

addie July 29, 2010, 6:14 PM

I really think he needs to give Kate a call they would get along great!!! He is so nasty to Jenny I cant stand it!!! He is a big slob and should be thankful that she is even with him!!

Kris July 30, 2010, 12:52 AM

They will be divorced in a few years

carmen July 30, 2010, 2:17 AM

I agree with all of the most recent comments. It does remind you of Jon & Kate. While no marriage is perfect, the level of disrepect that he displays toward her is unreasonable. People who have abuse tendencies always want to isolate the partner from people who love & support them. Although no couple should allow thier parents to run thier marriage or dictatate how to raise the kids— moving away is not resolution, solidarity is. He just wants the freedom to be in charge~ but he is mean and disrespectful, the whole family will suffer for it. Lesson: don’t conceive unless BOTH spouses are agreeable to it. Kate & Jennifer both made that mistake

sandy August 2, 2010, 8:47 PM

Jenny please tell Bryan that he needs
to controll himself. He called you Kate
well he is the one who acts like her not you. He need to put on his big boy pants and grow up!!!!!!!!!! Love the show but not Bryan show more of Jenny and the kids.

dessertgirl August 6, 2010, 4:31 PM

This show is a train wreck. Jenny is a whiner and a complainer just like Kate G. Nothing ever pleases her and I can see why Brian gets frustrated with her.

How stupid can you be to put regular gas in a diesel car MORE than ONCE! I am glad that I don’t have to go to the ER and find a dimwit like Jenny taking care of me.

Brian refers to the car as an Expedition and a Navigator. Does he not know which car they bought or begged for for free?

Jenny is shown telling her mother that they need a swing set and what do you know — it arrives! Jenny is a beggar like Kate.

If I was Brian I might schedule a moonlight cruise and come home alone.

Anonymous August 6, 2010, 5:40 PM

Love the show. One question. What happen to the older daughter that was in the first few episodes? She is never mentioned or shown anymore. Where did she go?

Cindy August 6, 2010, 8:33 PM

I completely agree that the show is an absolute train wreck…it’s so horrible but it’s hard to look away. Can you imagine being in their situation and choosing to leave your entire support system just to go on an “adventure?” It defies logic.

Without a doubt, Bryan is a terrible husband. But I don’t think Jenny is that great of a mom, either. The kids constantly manipulate her with their tantrums and she plays right into it with her working mom guilt. Why the guilt? It’s not like they are in daycare…they are home with their dad! Unless the guilt is because she knows how terrible a caretaker Bryan is.

anne August 7, 2010, 8:07 PM

Um…..Bryan is an ABUSER! Locking your TWO YEAR OLD in the bathroom and scaring her so much she wets herself? Threatening with a wooden spoon? Saying “Im gonna kick some butts” saying “get me away from these kids!”

WTF is WRONG with these people?
These kids did not ASK to be here. You INVITED them.
Bryan is gay…which is no big deal, but probably has alot to do with his rage.
I watched the show once, then watched the second episode just so I could write down the names of the sponsors. I will have no part of any company that supports this kind of treatment of six innocent babies.

DISGUSTING.

luvbabies26 August 9, 2010, 9:15 AM

I’m watching the show right now! I can’t stand bryan he’s the biggest loser, he has no respect for his wife, I don’t know why she married him, she knew he was like that before, and he does seem gay…ughhh like the show but I can’t stand bryan!

Susan August 24, 2010, 7:48 PM

Bryan and Jenny and kids were on
the Today Show and Bryan said
that this is the last season for
the show.
What the matter Bryan can handle
all the criticsam you are getting???
Hope everythings works out for them
for the kids sake but I don’t see it
happening.

leigh September 16, 2010, 12:33 PM

I soooooo wanted to throw up when I watched the show where they moved. It is so sad that I realized that I lived her life, well with her marriage. He is so aweful, condesending (sp?), just nasty. Always about who he is and how everybody is wrong and he is perfect, loud and again NASTY. What is so aweful about him is that he realizes he is being a JERK and then is nice next. PIG. Sad part is that I never really saw anything to do with the kiddos and they hear him treating her badly well everyone badly is so aweful for the kids, sad is by watching all of this makes me realize that I do the same thing to my 2 kiddos, and they are older. Makes my heart hurt. Sad that a tv show makes me re-evaluate my own, ugh. I hope she gets her moment of realization.