Mom Posts Pic of Her Baby with Bong on Facebook

A 19-year-old mother from Keystone Heights, Florida, posted a photo of her baby with a BONG on Facebook. Um, was she high?!

baby with a bong

"If u look at the picture u can see that there is no bowl in the TABACCO (sic) pipe. And i took a pic to show one (expletive) person and it was a mistake. I would never ever ever let him get high," she told Channel 4 via Facebook.

In another Facebook posting, she wrote, "Do you realize how serious this is? i can go to jail and he can be taken away from me. WHY would you do something so (expletive) stupid? i know what i did was stupid but i would NEVER put by baby in harm. im (sic) so nice to everyone idk (I don't know) why you would do this to me."

The Florida Department of Children and Families is investigating, and is now drug-testing both the mother and the baby.

Who thinks this mom should have her baby taken away? Harmless photo ... or serious endangerment?

next: Home Movies of Kyron Horman Released
sal williams July 1, 2010, 2:33 AM

I have said for a long time that marriage licenses should be abandoned; they are obsolete. Marriage is a contract, so why not use a lawyer to get it done properly. However, what is needed is a child-bearing/siring/parenting license which would require certain tests for maturity, addictions, basic intelligence, financial ability to provide for a child, etc. Parenting is so much more than food prep and child care; thought must be given to how a child’s mind is shaped by his environment and his parental guides. There are a lot of people out there who are not really prepared for parenthood. This poor girl, I think, may be one of them. This is not just a one-time mistake; her judgment is really, very faulty. Not because she got caught, but because the child is holding the bong at all! Much less that she finds it charming and wants a record of it! And then she posts the photo on Facebook for the world to see! That thought process is a trainwreck, not a little mistake. The system will not be generous when they have photographic proof like this. I’m not picking on her but she is an excellent example of a child rearing a child. Parenting classes would definitely help her.

MJ July 2, 2010, 5:50 AM

sal, i agree with your statements, except the license to parent thing is a slippery slope, but my main concern is not that she may smoke pot, etc , etc, but that she didn’t realize how stupid it was to post something like that, it shows a lack of common sense, which means the common sense may be lacking in more crucial areas also, such as ”it doesn’t hurt to have baby on lap in a car” or ”it’s ok to let baby watch tv all day long, every day” stuff like that. she really needs some parenting classes.

Alli B July 2, 2010, 6:33 AM

Being a mother of 2 infants I would have to say this is bizarre pic, most new moms want cute pics of baby’s first steps or in a bath tub etc. I think this is a sign of what knid of mother this girl is going to be!! Aside from the GLASS BONG look what else is in the pic, electrical wires and what looks like a HOT IRON laying on the floor beside the baby’s leg!! Pretty sure this mothers drug test will come back positive!!!!!!

Concerned parent July 2, 2010, 5:19 PM

Drug test the baby. 2nd hand mj smoke is clear negligence. Let CPS handle it. Maybe then she’ll grow up and be more responsible.

Liz July 2, 2010, 7:29 PM

Harmless photo, it’s not like she’s actually letting him smoke, and obviously nothing is in it, he has his finger in it, and just because he’s got his mouth on it like that doesn’t mean he’s seen people do it before, he’s a baby and doing what babies do putting his mouth and fingers on something they don’t belong on.

If yer gonna do something, don’t do anymore than give her some parenting classes. This isn’t worth her losing her baby.

MJ July 5, 2010, 4:02 AM

i do not see an iron in the pic. maybe i am blind, i only see a wire, which looks like a wire to a game console, we don’t even know if it is plugged in, i love how people are now trying to find other non existent things to get worked up over, lol

Michele July 5, 2010, 4:07 PM

Okay yes this was in very very poor taste. The fact that the bong was given to the child was not right. I mean I hear what everyone is saying both sides about posts of us as kids with dads beer and naked bath tub pictures…I am sure that most of the people that are in an uproar about the bong would be about the beer and nudity. I do not smoke marijuana however it is not any different than pics of alcohol cans and little kids. The child had no clue what it was and hopefully it was unused and hopefully the mother has learned a lesson from this but to take her child away in my opinion is not right. How about the children that really need taken away because of physical and mental abuse. How about children that should be removed and end up dead because they weren’t or they were given back. The mother is young and immature. I had a son at 19 and I was young and immature, no I wouldn’t have given my baby a bong for a toy but I am sure that without the support of my family and the parenting classes that I took I could have made an equally stupid mistake. ALL parents make mistakes on some level. Maybe a little understanding and support would be best to help this young mother make wiser choices in the future not trash talk and not humorous responses either. Again for the record I do not take illegal drugs however again for the record marijuana is NO different than alcohol and should be legalized to help get our economy out of debt or make alcohol illegal just be consistant.

Qpon Lady July 6, 2010, 8:52 AM

I think that to make a decision solely on this completely obvious STUPID mistake on behalf of the mother would be ill-advised.
No one knows the whole story here simply by looking at a photo. A 19 yr old mother is likely to be inexperienced and more prone to mistakes. I agree she has done something very stupid, and taking classes and increasing her knowledge base would be excellent routes to take. But to take her child away and hand him over to complete strangers? NO.

Mommy of two July 6, 2010, 7:12 PM

This girl should have her baby taken away!! If a 19 yr old girl is responsible enough to have kids then she definitely should know better than that! I know what it’s like to be a young mom, but I would have never acted so stupid! Itndoesnt matter that there was nothing in it, it shouldn’t b in the house or in his mouth! And for some of u..yes babies put things in their mouths but would u let ur baby eat cigarette butts or dog poop? NO! She neglected and abused this baby! She has priors ppl… Obviously not the first time CPS has been involved! Sad!!

mel July 6, 2010, 9:34 PM

i think that this girl deserves all she gets…whoever said that having a sip of daddys beer is the same thing must be drunk themselves…it is not that same thing at all…i dont think that letting a child have a sip of beer is right by any means either…but the two siuations are like day and night…..and regardless of whether or not she did it for a joke it should never have been put in FB…i dont even like posting pics of myself if im drunk at a party and i am a 30 year old woman who is allowed to do that…that is not how i want to be portrayed to the world on a website..its embarassing and degrading and for a baby to be living in a household wear drug parafinalia is an arms reach away, who knows what else that child could get there hands on…what if there had been actaul drugs in the bong?…clearly the child has seen it used before so who’s to say this is the first time it happened…and who’s to say the child wouldnt be able to actually consume the drugs??….its disturbing and disgusting and wrong and i hope that justice is served for that poor child

no name  July 11, 2010, 9:53 PM

i think she is young an dumb i mean people like her give yyoung mothers a bad name im 19 an u dnt see me condoning my 14 month old daughter to pretend to smoke out of a bong i think her child should be placed in a foster home so it can be brought up right that right there goes to show how she was brought up wow really now u should no right from wrong unless ur simple i feel bad for tht poor child if shes putting pics up like that i cnt imagin wht elsa he goes through that people dnt see behind the doors im sorry but as a young mother my self it just really lights the flame under my a**

K July 12, 2010, 2:25 PM

This child is in danger, what kind of mother would do this? if you have a bong you get high. You are unfit, and I hope this child is taken away from you, and also if you look at the pic, theres a lighter, and a cord on the floor, that is not safe. You have big issues, and need help. Take that baby away…..

Riss July 23, 2010, 10:50 AM

I dont think her baby should be taken away. Its just a stupid mistake a 19 year old mother made. I highly doubt she would let her child smoke pot. Yes the baby shouldn’t even have access to the bong and thats where she messed up. I think she’s leared her lession and wouldn’t do anything like this ever again.

Anonymous July 23, 2010, 10:18 PM

I am 19 and would never let my baby play with a bong pipe or any other sort of drug paraphenielia! I don’t own any and I wouldn’t let friends who did have it around my baby! She’s not just being young and stupid! She’s an adult not a child. She knew what she was doing was stupid!

Anonymous July 23, 2010, 10:22 PM

As for taking away her child? I agree with others. I think that would be a little harsh. I think some parenting classes are in much need and maybe some drug classes or something to. But why take away a child from its mother and make it have issues as a teen? Foster care causes a lot of issues for kids, especially once they are teens.

Laurel July 23, 2010, 10:37 PM

WOW! I am offended at some of the posts! I am 19 and am pregnant! Would I ever allow my child to be around that stuff? NO WAY! But just because I am young and unmarried doesn’t mean that my baby will be screwed up or that I am some dumb broad who SHOULD have my baby taken away so I can be free! I would never say anything like that to even my worst enemy! You people need to quit being so judgemental! But yes she was stupid and no she shouldn’t have her child taken away! Some parenting classes and maybe some couseling or drug classes and yes regular drug tests. But I just can’t believe how harsh some of you people are. Why don’t you try growing up in foster care moving from home to home! I’ve had friends who grew up like that and it really messes a kid up! And as for all you saying to lock her up and take away her child, let me ask you this, where are you children what are they doing right now and what kinda trouble will they get into as teens? Nobody’s perfect! She may not be perfect but make sure your own hands are clean before pointing fingers!

Becca July 25, 2010, 11:51 AM

In looking at this picture I see a child whom is simply doing what children do; which is put things in their mouths. However, just the simple fact that it was a, “bong” does make me ponder what it is that this teenage mom does with her time. She needs parenting classes for sure. I don’t even believe in smoking tobacco around small children or babies, let a lone anything else. This picture made my heart sink; not only for the baby, but for the mother as well.

Stefanie July 25, 2010, 8:53 PM

This breaks my heart to see this. I cant believe that some people chose to let things like this go on. Surely the mother has a realitive that would be a better parent than she is. Clearly at 19 she is not ready to be a mother, and the child is the one that will have to suffer. There is no reason why a child should have to be brought up in a home like that.

Jami July 27, 2010, 8:58 AM

I was 18 when I had my 1st child and I knew better then that its not a case of she’s a young mom she doesnt know better YES she did. It was stupid I think she needs to take some parenting classes regardless of the pic she does drugs or she wouldnt have that bong so shes not a fit mother anyway. In the pic the baby has a lot of Wires around him also which he could get around his neck It does not look like a safe enviroment.

Tayna July 27, 2010, 10:17 AM

I have seen it many times. Children that are exposed to this kind of situation will mimic what they have seen there parent/parents do. She must be using and he must have been around at some point to see what she was doing. Even if it wasn’t hers why is the “pipe” in her house and why does the baby have access to it? My husband and I quit smoking cigarettes because our children ages 2&4 started picking them up off of the ground and putting them in there mouth. No one means for it to happen, but it does. She needs parenting classes and routine drug testing until the classes are finished out even then she should be court ordered to continue with the drug testing for a set amount of time. This baby is helpless in this situation and joking or not she let him hold onto the “pipe” for a good amount of time if she was able to get a camera and take a picture.