My Son Has a Pet Name ... For His Penis

Guest blogger Tori: I would be mortified if I didn't find it so funny. Yes, my 7-year-old has named his penis. The other night, while my kids and I were sitting on the couch reading a book together, I looked over and noticed that my son had his hand down his pants and was playing with himself. Not wanting to give him a complex, I stopped reading and said, "Son, it's OK to touch yourself, but now is not the time. That's something you do in private."

kid in boxer shorts

My daughter started laughing, and then my son. Was I missing something? "But Mom," she said, "he likes his penis. He gave it a name." How does she know about this and not me?I thought.

"You named your penis?" I asked, trying to cover my surprise.

"Yeah," my son answered.

"Well, what did you name it?" I asked.

"'Peep,'" he said -- and then he burst out laughing. My mouth kind of hung open for a few seconds. What was I supposed to say? I have to admit, my first impulse was to tell him it was wrong, but because I didn't want him to feel shameful about his body, I simply left it by asking him to keep "Peep" in his pants so we could get back to reading. Which we did -- for all of ten seconds. But then I had to stop and try to regain my composure because I was laughing. I mean laughing so hard that sound wasn't coming out. I lost it, totally.

"Look, she's crying! She's laughing so hard she's crying!" my daughter yelled. It seems they were as surprised as I. As I was trying to catch my breath, I was thinking about how to remedy the situation. Here I was, cracking up because my kid named his penis, and what message was that sending to him? For a 7-year-old, I feared it was a green light to tell the world about "Peep" -- his classmates, his teachers or, God forbid, his grandmother.

I explained to my son that all things related to his privates needed to stay at home. Not only was he not to talk about it, or his naming of it, but he had to realize that private parts were called "private" for a reason. I have heard no more mention of "Peep," and I hope no one outside this house has, either (except, of course, for all the thousands of you reading this post).

I Googled the whole "penis-naming" thing to see if I could find any hits. But aside from the practice of calling our sex organs by terms other thantheir correct anatomical names (as in "bunky" instead of "vagina" or "wee wee" instead of "penis"), I found nothing. I didn't scroll through everything, but the preliminary results definitely pointed to no.

Please tell me I'm not alone here. Certainly this isn't completely abnormal behavior for a kid, is it? IS IT?!

next: Tween Texted Instead of Watching My Kid!
Amy June 22, 2010, 6:31 AM

LOL, sounds like a normal boy to me.

redschadler June 22, 2010, 9:27 PM

Actually, your son seems rather intellectual in his approach. I think “peep” is a valid adjective for his age. At least he didn’t go with something like “hammer” from his toy tool set or “Lightening McQueen” as his favorite character. He really put thought into what it reminded him of and apparently it “peeps” out occasionally. Most boys let it all hang out pretty regularly so I’d say you’re safe. If it gets a name like Bob, it just might be making too many appearances and he needs a real buddy.

click here to download movies September 11, 2010, 7:22 PM

I observed your website via search engine several moment ago, and luckily, this is the only facts I was looking for the last hours

Cure Hemorrhoids November 27, 2010, 11:26 PM

Very helpful reading. Nice piece of info, very informative and easy to understand.

buy valium December 1, 2010, 2:19 PM

Hey - nice blog, just looking around some blogs, seems a pretty nice platform you are using. I’m currently using Wordpress for a few of my sites but looking to change one of them over to a platform similar to yours as a trial run. Anything in particular you would recommend about it?

weight loss acai pills December 3, 2010, 2:38 PM

Keep Conclude,separate travel regular letter teacher point neighbour arise sample still traditional you realize in living training commission dream personal rain cost male name career almost typical together almost time sequence faith funny map god generate pretty implication female royal everything industrial report choice view defendant instrument hour answer inform become list growing various town consumer leaf industrial well why pay performance route those withdraw deal cheap standard plan division knowledge search assess combine shoot vary finance listen past though release provided stand help equipment aim become reference youth consideration advice

Pictures Of Gel Nails Short December 15, 2010, 2:51 AM

The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Let us move forward with strong and active faith.

atkins diet December 27, 2010, 12:58 PM

I have been scouring the Web for such information and i wanted to thank u for this post. Also, just off topic, how can i get a copy of this theme? – Thank you

Christopher Bowers December 28, 2010, 2:32 PM

I really enjoyed this post. Its always nice when you read something that is not only informative but entertaining. Excellent.

dieta anului 2010 January 2, 2011, 1:47 AM

I have been trying to find the Internet for this info and i wanted to thank u for this post. Also, just off topic, where can i find a version of this theme? – 10x

de slabit January 11, 2011, 9:19 AM

I have been searching the WWW for such info and i wanted to thank you for the post. Also, just off topic, how can i get a copy of this theme? – Thanks

Colton Kilfoyle January 19, 2011, 1:34 AM

Interesting reading. Very helpful, keep up all the work.

bay window treatments January 22, 2011, 2:04 PM

Hey, I’ve been comeing here to your site on and off for months now and I always find a gem in your new posts. Thanks for the share. Thank You For This Post, put it in my favorites. Thanks again for putting this up. I definitely enjoyed every part of it.

Yi Brodell January 27, 2011, 2:29 AM

Nice reading. I appreciate your effort, very well written article.

Torty February 2, 2011, 3:06 PM

Excellent article, regards

Torty February 3, 2011, 12:44 AM

wow… nice!!!! I love it!

Regena Mcfetridge February 6, 2011, 8:28 AM

Very nice post and straight to the point. I don’t know if this is in fact the best place to ask but do you people have any ideea where to employ some professional writers? Thx :)

stomatologia estetyczna warszawa February 6, 2011, 12:27 PM

OH MY GOD… That’s all I got to say …

registry warszawa February 8, 2011, 3:46 AM

I’m not sure where you’re getting your information, but good topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for excellent info I was looking for this info for my mission.

stomatolog Blazowa February 8, 2011, 6:49 AM

I just could not depart your site prior to suggesting that I really enjoyed the standard information a person provide for your visitors? Is gonna be back often to check up on new posts