Bad News: I Was Just Diagnosed with an Incompetent Cervix

Jane from L.A.: I was just diagnosed with an incompetent cervix and admitted to Cedars-Sinai.

Jane Wiseman

I'm 19 weeks pregnant. (I'm one day shy of 20 weeks and my 20-week level II ultrasound.)

It will be touch and go for the next few days and then weeks. I don't know how long I'll be here. If everything goes OK tonight, they'll put a stitch in (called a "cerclage") tomorrow and will then watch for infection or preterm labor for 48 hours. If everything seems OK after that, they'll wait another week to see that everything is still OK. Then they'll let me go home and I'll be on bedrest.

It's truly a nightmare, and my husband, Joe, and I can't really comprehend what's going on. There's a chance I'll lose the pregnancy or get an infection or go into labor during those bad weeks (weeks 22 to 28, when a premature infant has a much lower chance of survival). And we can't go through that. So, we wait and see. I don't know when I'll see our 18-month-old daughter, Willa, again -- and that is killing me the most.

The positive news is that I'm not in labor and my cervix is still long.

My mom is coming tomorrow, so that's good.

More coming soon.

* "Notes from Bedrest" is a new column that features e-mails from a mom who recently experienced bedrest. We are posting her e-mails chronologically in the order she wrote them.

next: Make Dad Breakfast in Bed
anonymous June 16, 2010, 10:32 AM

I did bedrest and hated it. It’s much less fun that it sounds. Don’t be afraid to get help if you need it.

ss June 16, 2010, 1:15 PM

That’s got to be so rough to go through. Good luck to you!

Jackie June 16, 2010, 2:22 PM

They thought I had an incompetent cervix too but it turned out I didn’t. Wow — I can’t even imagine how scared you were. I look forward to your next update.

Melody June 16, 2010, 9:05 PM

I was also diagnosed with an incompetent cervix, unfortunately it was not until I was too far dialated to turn back. I truly feel for you an wish you all the best.

Anonymous June 28, 2010, 11:48 AM

I am pregnant with my second child after having had a 25 week preemie the first time around… and despite the stress that this baby will be born early too, I have total faith that everything will be ok because our first daughter is a true miracle and blessing… despite her prematurity and everything that they said was wrong with her, today (at 3 years old) she is very healthy and developmentally advanced… you just have to pray and have faith and give that baby as much love as possible when he/she comes!

Golf Clubs September 14, 2010, 10:40 AM

In related news, Tiger Woods is now a Cheetah.