Should Little Kids Be 'Working Out'?

Workouts for kids? With childhood obesity rates skyrocketing, this might be a trend that's here to stay.

Crossfit Kids
When the park just doesn't cut it anymore, try this on for size: CrossFit, one of the fastest growing movements in fitness, is now available for kids.

Deemed "the toughest workout ever" by Muscle and Fitness magazine, the same workout responsible for the buff, beautiful bods in the blockbuster hit "300" has been downsized into a power-packed, pint-sized workout for kids aged 3 to 12. The idea behind CrossFit Kids is simple: Keep kids moving and make exercise fun. And judging by the amount of tumbling, jumping, lunging and obstacle-course training that occurs in a typical class, your wee one is bound to come back for more.

Moms, what do you think? Are workouts for kids excessive ... or a good alternative to everyday play?

next: Let's Count the Ways We're Not Like Barbie
Danielle June 13, 2010, 10:48 AM

Fitness is great for kids. As long as it doesn’t involve weight training. You don’t want hard ripped muscles not that young for sure. Just healthy is just right.

Peggy Brister June 13, 2010, 11:05 AM

When I was in junior high and high school we had an hour of physical fitness every single day and it kept us from being fat, lazy little pudgers. Kids don’t have that in school anymore. And mine being homeschooled they rarely get an hour a day of exercise. I take mine to the YMCA to play racquetball and go swimming a few times a week. My kids aren’t over-weight but you really should get them use to doing regular fitness routines when they are young so they will continue it when they get older. The bad thing is, at our local Y where we have amembership, they won’t even let the kids into the work out room to do any exercises with the machines, like walking on the treadmill or doing the elyptical machine. They have to be 14 to be in the work out room. It’s just too hot in the summer to be outside doing exercise in 90+ degree weather. Some little work out video for kids would be a good idea I think. I would buy it if it weren’t too ridiculously hard.

Rae Pica June 14, 2010, 6:42 AM

To answer the question posed in your title: No, no, and NO!

As a children’s physical activity specialist, I can state unequivocally that this type of workout is developmentally inappropriate for children under the age of 8 and can do far more harm than good. Among other things, it can create a bad taste for physical activity — for ALL physical activity — that could stay with them for a lifetime.

michelle June 14, 2010, 9:23 AM

What a horrible idea! Why do people do everything possible to prevent children from just playing outside? Turn off the TV and go out to the park or ride bikes as a family or have kids over to play at an indoor space or the yard or WHATEVER. They will get plenty of exercise that way. Also, unstructured play has both physical and imaginative components. In other words, kids need to be able to explore even as they play. This is much more developmentally appropriate than some adult-driven workout routine that turns physical activity into a joyless chore.

Quinn Sears June 15, 2010, 2:23 PM

If only I had a penny for every time I came here.. Amazing post!

karen June 15, 2010, 2:49 PM

If they ENJOY it, why not? If you’re forcing it on the kids, then you’re just making them hate physical activity. Is a class worth a try, sure, but if they don’t like it what’s wrong with family walks and bike rides? @Peggy, I wonder if you can still find copies of Mousercise (the VHS [maybe DVD, but I doubt it], not the CD). I used to love it as a kid (back in my mom’s Jane Fonda days!)!

Sheldon Brandt June 15, 2010, 3:12 PM

You have done it once more! Incredible writing.

mommy dearest June 16, 2010, 7:09 AM

Oh no,
Kids can’t do Crossfit!
Dot drills are essentially hopscotch, skipping rope, playing on the monkey bars, pushups…give me a break, I did all of this as a child of the 70’s, early eighties.
I have no problem with the gymnastics, cardio and endurance aspect to Crossfit, I am positive they will leave out Olympic lifting if they are gearing the workout to kids.
If your kids are getting the right amount of exercise this is a non-issue but if not, why are we judging parents who want to get their kids fitness levels up?

Radio21 Andrei October 13, 2010, 3:06 PM

We could either worry sick about when the world will end, or we can start to take care of it today and live our lives to the fullest.

Online Banking Guide October 18, 2010, 6:57 PM

@Markus I get your drift on where you were going there. I often think of my past and use it as a means to analyze where I am and where I want to get to. Where I struggel is balancing it all out. How do you guys balance things out?

sniper games October 24, 2010, 7:57 PM

This blog site has a lot of really helpful information on it! Cheers for sharing it with me.

Joannie Kwit October 25, 2010, 9:28 AM

I am invariably looking for somebody to alternative posts together with, I am a scholar student and have a blog site right here on our university internet site. The subject of this web log and writting style would likely go great in a few of my category’s, inform me if you are up for this.

Carmelo Mcclenic October 25, 2010, 9:02 PM

I am constantly trying to find somebody to trade posts with, I am a scholar student and also have a web log here on our university internet site. The subject of your respective web log and writting style would likely go great in a few of my category’s, let me know if you are up for this.

naklejki na sciane October 27, 2010, 12:09 AM

naklejki ścienne to wspaniałe dekoracje do mieszkania naklejki na ściany ornamenty architektura naklejki scienne

Ruthie Rauls October 27, 2010, 12:30 AM

Reading a number your articles or blog posts I actually found this particular one to be top notch. I’ve got a web log also and wish to repost a number of snips of your respective content in my personal blog site. Should it be okay if I do this so long I reference your blog post or create a one way link to the write-up I took the snip from? Otherwise I realize and would not do it without your approval . I have book marked the article to twitter as well as zynga account for reference. Regardless appreciate it either way!

Leandra Burtenshaw October 27, 2010, 2:44 PM

My partner and I enjoyed reading this post, I was just itching to know do you trade featured posts? I’m continuously looking for somebody to make trades with and just thought I might ask.

linux dedicated servers November 6, 2010, 2:38 AM

Very creative, one of the nicer sites I have seen today. Keep up the great work

Dentists in Surrey November 6, 2010, 7:45 PM

Salut!, This page is high-quality and so is how the subject was written about. I like some of the comments also even though I would suggest we all stay on the suject to add value to the message. It will be also encouraging to the one who penned it down if we all could make mention of it (for some of us who use bookmarking services such as a reddit, twitter,..). Thanks again.

Biker November 12, 2010, 12:46 AM

greetings there, i just stumbled your site on google, and i must tell that you express awesomely well on your website. i am very motivated by the mode that you compose, and the subject is outstanding. in any event, i would also love to know whether you would love to exchange links with my site? i will be more than happy to reciprocate and put your link off in the link exchange area. waiting for your response, i give my sincere thanks and gooday!

Jeramy Klevjer November 13, 2010, 4:20 PM

I’ve been exploring on the net trying to find some ideas on the way to get my personal blog site coded, your current design and style and theme are wonderful. Did you code it yourself or did you hire a programmer to get it done on your behalf?