Did Murderer Mom Suffer from Postpartum Psychosis?

Dr. Michelle Golland: Stephanie Rochester, who was charged with the June 1 suffocation death of her 6-month-old son, Rylan (whom she feared was autistic), may have been suffering from postpartum psychosis. This is a horrible tragedy, whether or not she was psychotic at the time of her son's death.

Stephanie Rochester

I am sure Stephanie Rochester is going through an extensive battery of tests to find out if in fact she is experiencing postpartum depression or postpartum psychosis. We should leave it in the hands of the professionals to make that determination. But I must say, what appears to be a "delusional" belief about her child having autism does seem to point in that direction. Her emotional reaction after she discovered Rylan dead in his crib seems to point to it as well.

It appears that she was also experiencing suicidal thoughts, but didn't want to leave her husband with the "burden" of an autistic child. To some, this sounds callous, selfish and premeditated, which I can understand, but it also sounds like desperate and irrational thinking -- especially if it's out of character.

Postpartum psychosis is a stealthy illness, and it is possible that a new mom -- even one trained in mental health, as Stephanie Rochester is -- would not recognize her own confused thinking as "delusional." Neighbors have said that Stephanie told them she was experiencing postpartum depression and was not sleeping well.

The fact that her "delusional" thoughts were focused on issues of autism and the mental health of her child (if in fact that is the case) is not surprising, because often delusions can be rooted in things we know or are involved with in our daily lives. Stephanie Rochester was obtaining her master's in mental health and had worked with children with autism, which would prime her for that delusion. The delusions of Andrea Yates, the woman with postpartum psychosis who drowned her five children, focused on religion and the "souls" of her kids, because her life was centered on the church.

The severity of depression after childbirth varies widely. As many as 19 percent of women will experience some depression in the first three months after giving birth, while about 7 percent will suffer severe depression. Psychosis is rare, affecting just .2 percent of new mothers. These mental illnesses are caused by dramatic hormonal changes after childbirth. They are physical illnesses and are very treatable.

Although postpartum psychosis is extremely rare, it is a serious disorder. It is characterized by a loss of contact with reality and should be considered a medical emergency. Because of the extremely high risk for suicide or infanticide, hospitalization is usually required to keep the baby and mother safe.

Symptoms of postpartum psychosis include:

• Hallucinations (hearing voices or seeing things that aren't real)
  • Delusions (paranoid or irrational beliefs)
  • Extreme agitation and anxiety
  • Confusion and disorientation
  • Rapid mood swings
  • Bizarre behavior
  • Inability or refusal to sleep or eat
  • Suicidal thoughts
  • Thoughts of harming or killing the baby

Postpartum psychosis is treated with medication, psychotherapy and marriage counseling. If you think that someone you know may be experiencing any of the symptoms listed above, you should discuss your concerns with her and her partner, and contact her doctor immediately. Postpartum psychosis can be deadly for the mother, her baby -- or both.

Anonymous June 10, 2010, 10:28 PM

Sad that a poor diet probably contributed to such a tragic situation.

Equally sad is how many mothers of new children have no idea that their imbalance of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids can affect their brain function.

been there June 11, 2010, 6:27 AM

Wow super article! Finally, some reasoned thinking prevails. I had postpartum psychosis and know first hand how difficult it is to see your delusion as delusion. The delusions feel like they make perfect sense and just like the good doc. said they are often around things that are important/familiar with. Thanks doc. with your insight and understanding of the condition, your female patients should know they are in good hands!

Fashion October 1, 2010, 4:48 AM

Exceptional article, keep the good work. I’ve been born into the marketplace with my parents earning a living inside the fashion trade. I’ve realized the market is very disjointed so I’m presently operating using a website to deliver everybody with each other. I really appreciate your work.

Chase Online Banking October 18, 2010, 11:05 AM

I was just chatting with my coworker about this the other day at Outback steak house. Don’t know how in the world we landed on the subject actually , they brought it up. I do remember eating a amazing steak salad with ranch on it. I digress…

Macy Doemelt October 24, 2010, 4:10 PM

This is a subject that I never actually touched upon but I reckon it’s about time.

sniper games October 24, 2010, 7:57 PM

Have you thought about adding some differing opinions to your article? I think it might enhance my understanding.

Dagny Morabito October 25, 2010, 4:35 AM

I am always in search of someone to alternative posts together with, I am a student and possess a website here on our university web site. The topic of your respective blog and writting style would go great in a few of my category’s, inform me in case you are up for this.

Christina Hendricks October 25, 2010, 10:56 AM

As soon as I came over to this article I can only look at part of it, is this my internet web browser or the internet website? Should I reboot?

Matha Mcroyal October 25, 2010, 1:15 PM

Seeing several of your articles I actually found this one to be great. I have a web log as well and would like to repost a number of snips of your content on my personal blog site. Would it be ok if I use this so long I personal reference your web blog or build a one way link to your article I procured the snip from? Otherwise I recognize and could not do it with out your authorization . I have book marked the article to twitter and facebook account intended for reference. Regardless appreciate it either way!

Romeo Yablonski October 26, 2010, 5:17 PM

My partner and I enjoyed reading this post, I was just wanting to know do you ever trade featured articles? I am constantly in search of someone to make trades with and just thought I would ask.

Beatrice Schwaller October 27, 2010, 12:25 PM

Reading this post I am confident that i could possibly know through school, did happen to go to Texas Tech? If you did remember to blast me a message so we can get up to date it’s been quite a long time! Look forward to talking to you and hope all is well with you.

Van Quihuiz October 27, 2010, 7:42 PM

It is another consideration respecting to which I shall adduce.

Kaleigh Kolbusz October 28, 2010, 12:16 PM

Yes, I know I overdo it sometimes.

Ernesto Casanova October 29, 2010, 3:40 PM

That’s quite expensive as some of your ideas will be winners.

Lorita Feeley October 30, 2010, 12:21 PM

Perhaps that’s.

Jan Cruise October 30, 2010, 6:36 PM

It is not difficult folks.

Vernon Jasmin October 31, 2010, 9:59 AM

It is one of the easiest things I have found about.

Wilbert Coslow November 2, 2010, 11:22 PM

Result.hey mbah,, i agree with youthis is a serious post???Very nice blog! Keep up the sterling work ; ) You forgot comment Two XD

Judson Onukogu November 13, 2010, 4:08 PM

I enjoyed reading this blog post, I was just itching to know do you ever trade featured posts? I am constantly in need of someone to make trades with and just thought I might ask.

Bernardo Krystal November 18, 2010, 6:09 AM

General I suppose that is a little something to think about nevertheless it might possibly just be a bit of little bit of base. In my nation we will need to honer impressive freelance writers and I’m adoring your publish as I do suppose it is actually truly good.