Reality TV, Kids and Dangerous Endeavors

Dr. Michelle Golland: The Sunderland family has found themselves in a firestorm -- or, more accurately, a big storm in the Indian Ocean that could have taken the life of their daughter, Abby. They have been criticized by many people for allowing and encouraging their 16-year-old daughter to try to break the record for being the youngest person to sail around the world.

Abby Sunderland

I believe that enabling a minor to voyage alone for months in hostile seas (especially considering the emotional impact of being isolated for that period of time) is simply neglectful parenting. My other concern is the question of whether or not the Sunderland parents were hoping to profit from putting their child in harm's way. (There have been rumors of a reality show ....)

Of course, we as parents make judgments all the time for our minor children. You must make judgments that seem reasonable given the skill sets of your child. In my opinion, given the possible pressure of financial gain, it is unreasonable to place your child's well-being at this level of risk. Fortunately, we are welcoming Abby home alive after her harrowing experience at sea -- and not looking for her body somewhere in the Indian Ocean.

The New York Post reported that Marianne and Laurence Sunderland had signed a contract with Magnetic Entertainment which is no longer in effect. They had been shopping a show about the Sunderland family. As we all know, the reality-TV genre is always looking for the latest, quirkiest and most compelling new families to build shows around. Some examples: "Jon and Kate Plus 8," "9 By Design," "19 Kids and Counting" and on and on.

What was the reality-show concept for the Sunderlands? How they as parents have created such ambitious kids. One family with two kids sailing around the world solo does seem compelling. Marianne said, "At the time, [a show] seemed like a good thing. Everyone we were working with was super friendly and seemed to have plans for a good show." Apparently, Magnetic Entertainment was unable to sell the show -- although there had been some filming prior to Abby's departure, and she does have a lot of footage she captured herself during her adventure.

At this time, the only one who plans to cash in on this dangerous endeavor is the one who was actually in harm's way: Abby herself. She is planning on writing a book about her experience at sea.

There is a fine line that many reality-TV parents seem to be skating, and that line is the emotional abuse of their children. The clearest case of this is Richard Henne and his "Balloon Boy" concoction (although many of us were horrified as we watched Jon and Kate's marriage disintegrate right before our eyes while sadly witnessing the damage being inflicted upon their eight small children).

Although the law varies from state to state, emotional abuse or maltreatment is defined as a pattern of behavior by parents or caregivers that can seriously interfere with a child's cognitive, emotional, psychological or social development. Emotional abuse includes severe and repetitive ignoring, rejecting, isolating, verbally assaulting, terrorizing and neglect of medical, psychological or educational services.

It also includes exploiting or corrupting a child, as happens when a child is taught or encouraged or forced to develop inappropriate or illegal behaviors. (The latter may involve self-destructive acts on the part of the parent, or the parent being involved in illegal activities.) It is this type of emotional abuse that I believe the Henne parents are guilty of.

The power of money can cloud parents' abilities to truly decide what is in their children's best interests. The fact that the Sunderlands were having financial troubles may have been on the minds of their children, too. The physical and psychological danger of taking on an extreme endeavor (such as sailing around the world alone at age 16) would need to be weighed carefully in the face of the parents' desire or promise of a show, a book or any media exposure that could create financial gain for them or their children.

next: Seventeen Magazine Became Teen's Bible for 30 Days
High School Senior Pictures Boys November 25, 2010, 1:02 AM

Pay no attention to what the critics say… Remember, a statue has never been set up in honor of a critic!

Jarrett Pitcher November 30, 2010, 2:24 AM

The considerable volume of yearly disappointments is not a problem.

Sterling Rocasah December 2, 2010, 12:42 AM

This is a package deal.

Tyrone Kolich December 3, 2010, 9:36 AM

I have been just going through this page it is extremely well crafted, What i’m exploring on the web looking for just how to start this blog site thing and your website happens to be quite high quality.

Leanne Ehleiter December 5, 2010, 3:34 PM

We will be talking about how outsiders who know how can do that.

Wire Management Car Audio Speaker Wire December 8, 2010, 5:30 PM

I love this blog layout ! How did you make it. It is so cool!

limousine service in maryland December 10, 2010, 2:00 PM

Perhaps you have had viewed as including a whole lot more movies for your weblog posts to maintain the readers a lot more entertained? I necessarily mean I just learn as a result of the whole document of yours and it was really beneficial but because I’m a whole lot more of a visible learner,I discovered that to become added useful very well let me understand how it turns out! I adore what you guys are continuously up also. These intelligent function and reporting! Hold up the awesome operates guys I’ve extra you guys to my blogroll. It is a beneficial document thanks for sharing this helpful particulars.. I’ll have a look at your weblog often for some newest submit.

Marine Fuel Tank Sending Unit Float December 12, 2010, 12:11 AM

Every great advance in natural knowledge has involved the absolute rejection of authority.

amalgamation process December 13, 2010, 8:50 PM

I believe one of your current advertisements initiated my web browser to resize, you may well want to set that on your blacklist.

Byron Iwashita December 16, 2010, 4:49 PM

gets a bum rap or it’s dead on.

Michelina Fukumoto December 16, 2010, 9:55 PM

My brother and I were just discussing your pretty topic, he’s always trying to prove me totally. Your view on this is amazing and precisely how I really. I just e mailed my brother this page to demonstrate him your current view. Correct looking over your internet log I saved and will probably be returning to read your updates!

popular fall hair colors 2013 December 22, 2010, 5:28 AM

I guess what I’m trying to say is, I don’t think you can measure life in terms of years. I think longevity doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with happiness. I mean happiness comes from facing challenges and going out on a limb and taking risks. If you’re not willing to take a risk for something you really care about, you might as well be dead.

Jimmy Schrick December 22, 2010, 4:32 PM

I suppose I’ll try a few options.

Nancie Yvon December 24, 2010, 10:10 PM

They let the chips fall where the cattle left them.

Jeni Yakow December 25, 2010, 1:54 PM

We need to have high achievement.

Mervin Kilgour December 26, 2010, 6:49 AM

I have to agree 99.

Christel Dinges January 10, 2011, 3:33 PM

I didn’t see a button anywhere but do you offer advertising? I have many blogs in relevant niche and I would wish to add my banner somwhere on your page.

animal print rugs January 12, 2011, 10:52 PM

I appreciate your wordpress template, where did you get a hold of it?

skyblog January 17, 2011, 11:49 PM

Many are still hanging onto mother’s apron strings when it relates to.

calyon recrutement January 19, 2011, 9:41 PM

palpable wilhelmi dobro davion helbert thumber flier Jean-Louis teese wormer tashio descombes veta Jurgen martians luchko