5 Reasons I Don't Want a Pot Dispensary in My 'Hood

Momlogic's Momstrosity: What are you likely to see on the streets if you visit Los Angeles? Celebrities? Yeah ... maybe. But there's a better chance that you'll see about a zillion marijuana dispensaries.

pot-plant.jpg

Today, about 400 unauthorized pot dispensaries were shut down -- and I swear most of them were in my neighborhood. Unfortunately, there's a chance that many might be able to open again. Don't get me wrong: Back in the day, I enjoyed myself a nice spliff now and then -- but that doesn't mean I want my street to be known as "Cannabis Lane." Here's why.

1) It's too sad watching all of those 20-somethings in so much pain.
It's SO weird: The only people I see waiting to get their scripts filled are young, vibrant men and women -- sometimes arriving by skateboard and plugged into their iPods. Not little old ladies with glaucoma, or cancer patients. I had no idea that being a hipster was so painful.

2) I don't want to have to deal with a stoned preschooler. When walking with my 4-year-old, I don't want her to get baked from the secondhand pot smoke that barrels out every time the door of the dispensary swings open. Ever seen a preschooler high? I haven't, either -- but I bet it would involve her tripping out on her Polly Pockets and eating twice her weight in graham crackers.

3) If I wanted to live in Amsterdam, I'd move there. When I was going over my list of must-haves before we bought our house, it didn't include eat-in kitchen, walk-in closets, good schools and a proximity to killer bud.

4) I like to window-shop without security guards. Dispensaries usually appear in locations with a fair amount of foot traffic. To protect their cash crop, owners of pot stores have to employ troops of rent-a-cops -- and these dudes usually look more menacing than the thieves they're attempting to deter. Nothing like picking up a quart of milk in a quasi-police state!

5) Because one day I'd like to hear this commercial tagline: "Pot, available EVERYWHERE!!" Rather than having clusters of pot palaces masquerading as pharmacies (for the convenience of people who REALLY DO NEED medical marijuana), howsabout we just legalize the stuff?

next: Cynthia McFadden's 11-Year-Old Son Has Been to 30 Countries
Anonymous June 9, 2010, 5:51 AM

AMEN!!! I find it so very funn that all those wanting pot to be legal for “medical” reasons are mostly 40 and below. It’s sad that they are in so “pain”. Give it a rest.

halo fan June 9, 2010, 5:53 AM

weed is fun. dont ruin it for your kids or the ones already doing it!!!!
no one calls it “pot”anymore.

Richard James June 9, 2010, 6:58 AM

I agree, we should just legalize it for adult consumption and be done with it. After all, it’s less addicting than coffee and far safer than alcohol.

The Tax and Regulate Cannabis initiative actually restricts sales and use by minors ( under 21) more than anything we have on the books today so don’t use “the children” as a prop for bigotry.

It’s time to put an end to marijuana prohibition and the failed policies that
drive money into the hands of criminals — and, yes, bullets into
people’s heads.

Do the right thing and vote YES in November.

Katie June 9, 2010, 7:52 AM

Legalize and get over yourself

Wheres the LOGIC June 9, 2010, 8:38 AM

Mom where is the logic? Obviously you don’t have none. If you had any since of logic you would do your homework meaning educate yourself and realize that who are you to judge if someone has an illness or not. The only reason that we have dispensaries in the first place is because the older generation(the ones who actually vote) who are the most stubborn are changing their opinions because they are the ones getting cancers and are realizing this can help. On second hand smoke thats completely stupid for one just because you can smell weed doesn’t mean their smoking it for two most places don’t allow onsite consumption. You are most certainly right about the legalization but you need to educate yourself to be able to fully use logic in a logic sense for its not suppose to opinionated because its logic.

Rob G June 9, 2010, 9:09 AM

@Wheres the LOGIC: Did you proofread that at all? You’re picking on this lady for not being educated yet your post is so full of poor spelling, grammatical errors, and faulty reasoning that I had to read it twice to understand what you were saying. As for her complaints about secondhand smoke, unless you’ve actually been to all the dispensaries in her area how would you know if they allow on site smoking or not? Secondly, she didn’t say she suspected they were smoking because she could smell it, she said there was smoke. You don’t get smoke from marijuana unless somebody is actually smoking it.

As for the rest of it, go ahead and legalize it if you want. I don’t personally care one way or another. But don’t be surprised if employers start drug testing on a more regular basis and firing people who smoke weed.

greg June 9, 2010, 12:40 PM

Pot rules, get over your self. Your 4 year old will be toking it up in a few years anyway

Ryan N June 9, 2010, 1:09 PM

Seriously this is an ignorant article for so many reasons.

1st. marijuana is very different than it was in the 60s. it is safer, better and grown locally so that keep money from going to mexican drug lords and keeps the money in the US. Less drug lords, less crime, less illegal immigration, etc.

2nd. Its already decriminalized/legal in 13 states, more than 1/4 of all the states in the US. in other states certain cities are decriminilized (Columbia and Joplin, MO for examples) so its already here and finally recognized as not a real ‘drug’. ooh scary.

3rd. It falls under no class of drugs. Drugs are A:Stimulants (cocaine, amphetamines, meth, PCP etc), B:CNS depressants (heroin, morphine, oxycontin, Valium and Xanyx.) or Hallucagens (Mushrooms, LSD or Acid). Marijuana actually raises the heart rate but not the Central nervous system (CNS) and you cant take more and increase the stimulant. it also doesnt kill brain cells, or CNS depressant because again you cant take more to increase/decrease the CNS and heartrate. SO NO OVERDOSE IS POSSIBLE LIKE ALL STIMULANTS AND DEPRESSANTS. And unless your stupid or your herb is laced, you wont hallucinate, and I wouldnt want to!

4th. More legal drugs are being abused and killing kids than legal drugs. Your little kid on ADHD? (who really is just high energy no ADD/ADHD is on Adderol, a amphetamine combination. ANY DR WILL TELL YOU THAT IS SYNTESIZED Meth, does the same thing and besides twakking your kid out on meth and coke, the kid can OD, become addicted and probably ends up selling the pills (a felony by the way) or crushing them up and snorting them. ITS METH YOU DUMB MOMS DO YOUR HOMEWORK!
Xanyx is like super valium and is the second most widely abused drug (second to oxycontin. And is responsible for ODs, deaths from car crashed, alcohol related deaths and more. An psychiatrists hand it out like candy the minute a girl walks in and says ‘panic attack, anxiety’. Great, dope em up more moms. An of course, last but not least Vicodin (hydrocodone)and oxycodone (Percocets, Oxycontin) are number one on the abuse and sell (also a felony -equivalent to possessing/selling cocaine) are dying left and right and Drs will tell you that these opiod based painkillers (made from heroin from poppys) are even more addictive and dangerous than heroin due to purity, avalability and potency. Now kids are getting something known as Fentanyl - A SUPER NARCOTIC that is 5x (thats right 5 times) as potent as pure heroin. Its sold black market as ‘Gods Tears’ and is far more dangerous than morphine.

5th - mariujana is not for cancer or pain really, but more of chemotherapy (appetite assistance/anti nausea) and for Gastro-Intestinal/esophagal problems. I have had several doctors tell me that they wish they could prescribe marijuana because they are forced to prescribe narcotic, overdoseable, addictive painkillers instead. While marijuana, it is imposible to overdose, non-narcotic, and has no ‘clearly-defined withdrawl symptoms’ - the World Health Organizations definition for addiction. (AKA its not addictive. I quite whenever I run out, dont feel like smoking, or just have a few good days with my stomach.)

6th. Lastly - If we could just educate our kids and do better than DARE did (I took DARE twice, and won DARE promising student award and read my paper for graduation). Basically you need to teach them that weed is not good for them, kinda fun maybe, anti-nausea and stomach problems-maybe but it really is nothng but a money drain and unhealthy habit for your lungs (though it is safer than ciggarrettes, chemically). But the real risk is that people who illegally deal with marijauna, often deal with bad people or have bad friends that can expose you to other, real dangerous drugs. COCAINE, PRESCRIPTIONS, for gosh sakes Tylenol and other drugs, even weed must be respected and used only as directed, less is better. But COCAINE and PRESCRIPTIONS, LSD and meth, oxycontin, and xanyx are the real threat, the real life ruiners and should be avoided at ALL COSTS. Marijuana is like alcohol, respect it and do it safely, probably dont even drive.

Dont demonize the wrong drugs. I heard on the news a 5th grader gave another student Adderol (GOSH DANG METH IN A PILL - get your kids off this!) and the other student was expelled for touching it! We dont need our kids on amphetamines and morphine, we need them to have fun recreationally, sober, and maybe responsibly on weekends. You will honestly do more harm than good if you DEMONIZE the wrong drugs and wrong risks. Please trust me.

chris June 9, 2010, 2:06 PM

Legal or not, I don’t want a pot ummm sorry weed dispensary in my hood either.

bill June 10, 2010, 4:36 AM

The truth is that one, yes just one Cannabis plant grown under perfect conditions can in one, yes one year produce enough buds for one, yes one person for their entire life time.

The average amount per plant is around a pound or so, but can be up to 20 pounds. Average users smoke 1 ounce a month or 3/4 of a pound a year or 3 pounds every four years.

So really we do not need shops, Hippies should be able to grow one plant a year, which will produce more buds then they can smoke. If this happens the cost will go away, the true use of Cannabis will show up, which is to power our vehicles, our world instead of dirty fossil fuel oil we could use Hemp seed oil and the bio-mass of the plant for ethonal.

Lin June 11, 2010, 4:45 AM

LOVE how all the addicts want it legalized and think it safer than alcohol. Tell that to my aunt who was killed in a car accident by a stoned driver 6 years ago.

Ryan June 11, 2010, 5:08 PM

@Rob G
If any employer did that, they’d have a hell of a court case on their hands. Weed stays in your system for up to a month. Wouldn’t really be fair to be fired for having smoked a legal drug at some point in the past 30 days.

jenny June 13, 2010, 6:58 AM

This article is classic american ignorance fueled by your government propaganda. I bet you are against universal health care too. Makes me glad to be raising my kids in Canada where we are not controled by a fear mongering media.

Kerri June 14, 2010, 1:45 PM

You are wrong about only 20 somethings going to these stores for weed. I’ve been to MANY a store and there is ALWAYS a mix of 20 somethings of all types, business suit 30 somethings, old pot heads, etc. It is NOT only 20 somethings, you just only notice the 20 somethings.

Jamie June 14, 2010, 3:41 PM

I am glad to see your last point was towards the full legalization. I have to say I would rather have a legal dispensary in my neighbor rather than shady drug dealers who don’t only sell pot and definitely don’t check ID. Would you rather have a dispensary or Joe Blow crack dealer trying to sell pot to your 4 year old?
Lin- When people say it is safer than alcohol they mean that pot, by itself is not harmful if used in a safe environment.Alcohol poisoning can kill a person even if they stay in the safety of their own home. The person who choose to drive under the influence killed your aunt, not pot.

stellablue June 16, 2010, 8:08 PM

Marijuana is illegal because the drug companies and big government want to make money. A lot a people who are ignorant about marijauna are also bible beaters. God made pot. Drug companies and politions figured out that they could derive things from the plant and put it into a pill and then say, “I’ve got the cure for what ails you, buy it from me. No, you may not grow it yourself for free. You must pay ME for it.” Then they put out all this fear propaganda and convince the sheep that it’s some demon thing.

Me June 18, 2010, 2:37 PM

I have a few comments here and I will address them to the points made by the author..

1) 20 Somethings in Dispensaries: When I was 20 I was diagnosed with Degenerative Disk Disease among other things, resulting in PERMANENT back pain. What this means is that I have cracks and fissures forming on the disks in my spine resulting in muscle spasms and constant pain. This in turn would make me eligible for Medical Marijuana. Are you going to tell me that I can’t have medicine that actually does help and does not have side effects (other perscribed meds caused diarhea, jaundiced, and nausea) because I am too young to be in real pain?

2. Dispensaries should not allow smoking on the premises as they are public buildings. If there is smoke coming from the store, call the fire department.

3. Just because you did not have a Dispensary on your list of must haves for you’re neighborhood, does that give you the right to limit the services? What if everyone else wanted one? Here in Canada when a new store is put up usually there is a meeting, if they are simply renting the space usually there is advertising and we can take it up with the city council. Have you tried any of this?

4. Private security should never be seen as a bad thing. In the case of the dispensaries, a lot of the security is in place to prevent non-prescription smokers from getting the weed. Next time you are out check out the local night life (night clubs) and tell me how many bouncers you see. They are there for a reason, and personally I am happy they are there.

5. Legalization/Decriminalization is not a bad idea if its done properly. On this note I am in complete agreement and it is not just because I choose to smoke weed myself.

Also for those talking about employers, I dunno about the US, but in Canada if Weed were legal and an employer fired you for smoking it, they would have a lawsuit on their hands on the grounds of discrimination.

Tyler June 24, 2010, 4:09 AM

I can not even get past your broad generalizations of young people that use medical marijuana being “hipsters in pain”. Did you ever think that it might be working for them and that is why they are happy. Don’t hate me because I am beautiful (and young and happy). I doubt you ever “enjoyed a spliff” back in the prehistoric ice age you grew up in either. faker.

TYC June 24, 2010, 1:03 PM

Don’t want cannabis legal? Then keep it illegal. Think about this: When you get that late night phone call from the cops saying that your kid was caught with a joint be prepared to shell out some very big bucks! You’ll have to put off that new roof or new car purchase for a long while. Don’t forget that the cops will come to your house with a warrant and tear the place apart. If you have one pain pill in your medicine cabinet from last year…felony charge for you. These drug laws have gone way too far.

Legalize the stuff already. We’re borrowing 40 cents on the dollar to keep the government running so we can lock up a 17 year old with a joint in their pocket…and that follows them around forever. The punishment doesn’t fit the ‘crime’.

systah June 24, 2010, 3:59 PM

The THC is not the issue, the legalization is not the real issue, it’s that people like me who DO NOT want pot in their systems are now fighting “legal” marijuana smokers in their own homes. There is no recourse for those of us living in an apartment with someone smoking pot beneath us. YES I could move but is that right? If I was there first? What about the family next door who is poor, can’t afford to move who has an asthmatic child? They have gone to the emergency room twice now because of pot smoke in their apartment has caused a reaction. There is nothing we can do about it. We can’t call the cops or management cannot evict them. Now ONE pot smoker is displacing multiple families so they can be high. We hear the young guys below who have their friends over partying and smoking pot all the time. NO DO NOT LEGALIZE MARIJUANA, it will get worse. The government needs to retract the legalization, reset it, and make it only legal to take THC pills or only use marijuana vaporizers for terminally ill and those with approved disorders. I live in California, it is very out of hand. My ex boyfriend who had a knee injury from last year, he rock-climbs now and mountain bikes. He went to a pot doc who gave him a prescription. He wasn’t even taking ibuprofen before. No one checked up on him. He now has a prescription for 1 year WTF????!!!

And the failed logic for the legalizers, are you kidding me?

I change my view, legalize it for everyone who wants to smoke it. Then, as they’re being dumbed-down and unable to drive anywhere (you won’t be able to drive anywhere on it remember EVEN if its legal), I will have my pick of available jobs, decent men who don’t need to rely on an external substance to feel like a man, and be healthier to out run everyone in case of some disaster. You’ll all be sitting around staring going “whooooooooow, look at that” (no exclamation point because you’ve all lost the drive to live life. For those who are terminally ill, go to vaporization, it’s better for you and it legitimizes your claim to being healthier. Smoking it, the smoke STILL contains carcinogens and burns the inside of your lungs. How is that healthier? Before anyone tells me to “do my research,” I have, with PEER REVIEWED documentation. So smoke some dope and chill out. I’ll be waiting over here for you to check out.