5 Reasons I Don't Want a Pot Dispensary in My 'Hood

Momlogic's Momstrosity: What are you likely to see on the streets if you visit Los Angeles? Celebrities? Yeah ... maybe. But there's a better chance that you'll see about a zillion marijuana dispensaries.

pot-plant.jpg

Today, about 400 unauthorized pot dispensaries were shut down -- and I swear most of them were in my neighborhood. Unfortunately, there's a chance that many might be able to open again. Don't get me wrong: Back in the day, I enjoyed myself a nice spliff now and then -- but that doesn't mean I want my street to be known as "Cannabis Lane." Here's why.

1) It's too sad watching all of those 20-somethings in so much pain.
It's SO weird: The only people I see waiting to get their scripts filled are young, vibrant men and women -- sometimes arriving by skateboard and plugged into their iPods. Not little old ladies with glaucoma, or cancer patients.I had no idea that being a hipster was so painful.

2) I don't want to have to deal with a stoned preschooler. When walking with my 4-year-old, I don't want her to get baked from the secondhand pot smoke that barrels out every time the door of the dispensary swings open.Ever seen a preschooler high? I haven't, either -- but I bet it would involve her tripping out on her Polly Pockets and eating twice her weight in graham crackers.

3) If I wanted to live in Amsterdam, I'd move there. When I was going over my list of must-haves before we bought our house, it didn't include eat-in kitchen, walk-in closets, good schools and a proximity to killer bud.

4) I like to window-shop without security guards. Dispensaries usually appear in locations with a fair amount of foot traffic. To protect their cash crop, owners of pot stores have to employ troops of rent-a-cops -- and these dudes usually look more menacing than the thieves they're attempting to deter. Nothing like picking up a quart of milk in a quasi-police state!

5) Because one day I'd like to hear this commercial tagline: "Pot, available EVERYWHERE!!" Rather than having clusters of pot palaces masquerading as pharmacies (for the convenience of people who REALLY DO NEED medical marijuana), howsabout we just legalize the stuff?

next: Cynthia McFadden's 11-Year-Old Son Has Been to 30 Countries
Michael Phelps June 25, 2010, 2:28 PM

@ systah

Where have you been since the 1950’s gym class drug films? You were actually awake during DARE class? Do you really believe what you wrote?

Take some swimming lessons with me. You won’t out swim me! Wait, let me take off these 14 Olympic Gold Medals. Let’s go! What? OK, OK, you can have a head start.

MJ June 27, 2010, 3:49 AM

why does everyone keep on talking about smoking and driving, how would it be any different from drinking, legalize marijuana, but don’t make it legal to drive while stoned, these examples are dumb.
that being said, all of the ”pot shops” where i live, were in non residential areas, that makes more sense, imo.
better yet, i agree with the person who says to just grow it yourself, when you get a license for medical marijuana in canada, they send you seeds, this seems immensely better.
to the lady complaining about thc ”contamination” from other apts, we should just make all bldgs non smoking, cigs also, i used to be a smoker, not the marijuana kind, lol, and i always smoked outside, made more sense, why should my neighbors have to suffer from my second hand smoke.

systah July 4, 2010, 3:03 PM

@Michael Phelps (if it is in fact you)…. whatevers, you have adhd on your side .. a bit of an unfair advantage, gump … and you don’t really have to use your brain to swim. get over yourself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Phelps#Early_life .. Oh and check the controversy section on wikipedia, very interesting. Can’t seem to find anything about your school grades? Show me those and I’ll step aside… I know A TON of people who smoke pot. Maybe out of the 30 or so people, 3 are going to college and getting good grades. Most of them dropped out have no drive and an inability to hold intelligent conversations other than about themselves or about what they’re going to do tomorrow (which of course never happens). Pot will dumb down this country if we let it. Like I said in my earlier post, fine by me.. it will leave me with more choices in jobs. Less competition is always good. Especially as I get older.

Nolan July 9, 2010, 10:40 AM

You are incredibly ignorant.

Primo July 13, 2010, 11:22 PM

Funny juxtaposition.
You support legalization,
but not dispensaries.
Remember it’s the law that
forced this situation on
your neighborhood, not
medical marijuana.

let’s talk more…
www.letstalkaboutpot.com

Me July 14, 2010, 10:49 PM

I have a few things to say. You don’t get high from second hand smoke comming from a building, dispensaries are a B.S. ripoff and last of all to the person who thinks that one plant gets pounds of weed you are insane and obviously have never grown. You must be getting you facts from the DEA. That’s what they want you to think. Indoor grow will get you tops 5 oz per plant if you’re lucky. And outdoors, if nobody steal it first you might get a pound.

Anonymous July 16, 2010, 9:26 PM

MomLogic’s reasoning is sound. Why are people getting so up in arms about it? It’s not like she’s saying ‘Pot is bad, it needs to stay criminalized!’ It’s like if she didn’t want to live in a neighborhood with a bunch of liquor stores or smoke shops.

Nada July 16, 2010, 9:30 PM

MomLogic’s reasoning is sound. Why are people getting so up in arms about it? It’s not like she’s saying ‘Pot is bad, it needs to stay criminalized!’ Two different arguments.

masterk00sh July 29, 2010, 2:51 AM

@systah
If you went to college especially in the engineering and science departments you’d be suprised by the amount of student and faculty that smoke pot. Probably the most famous of these “potheads” Carl Sagan.

alex August 3, 2010, 11:51 PM

Did our great grandparents call our grandparents alcoholics when the prohibition was going on in the 1930’s, when they had to go to speakeasies to ‘get inebriated’? Maybe, but do you call them drunks now?
People like with Bush and now Obama are to quick to judge. Trends are a clear indicator, “those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it” well we have, and we are. Prohibition fails, the majority vote wins. People honestly need to take a step back and consider that things are going to be anticlimactic. Mom’s watch to much tv, drams, soap operas and are brainwashed to feel that the doom is nearing. That somehow cannabis legalization is the end all. DO YOU NOT REALIZE how much easier things are to get if it is illegal, when (assuming) a dealer with no moral values will sell to little kids, I think you’re forgetting dealers are people too. But that isn’t to excuse them and moreover a stronger point is that in a legal market it would be age restricted. People understand that cannabis is spectacular but so is everything moderation, I don’t see myself, after its legalization, me running around screaming and whooping for joy. The only difference is, instead of paying ridiculous amounts of money to my dealer, I’ll be paying less and supporting my country. Which makes me feel proud and not like I am contributing to our economic strife.

p.s. on a side note, most prescripts are abused by mothers. tsk tsk.

Themes for Vista October 18, 2010, 10:07 AM

Strange this post is totaly unrelated to what I was searching google for, but it was listed on the first page. I guess your doing something right if Google likes you enough to put you on the first page of a non related search. :)

Hemorrhoid Cure November 27, 2010, 3:03 PM

Very helpful website. Very helpful, have a nice day!

valium December 1, 2010, 2:50 PM

Hi, I recently came to your blog and started reading along your articles. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading your blog. It is a realls nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often…

Turcja December 3, 2010, 8:49 AM

Heyy – I should say, I sure am happy with your website. I had no trouble navigating via all of the tabs and the information was really easy to gain access to. I discovered what I wanted in no time at all. Pretty awesome. Thank s alot!

Etykietowanie December 4, 2010, 6:36 AM

Thanks for sharing the link, but unfortunately it seems to be down… Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please answer to my post if you do!

wycieczki last minute December 5, 2010, 10:04 AM

What a great blog. I spend days on the internet reading blogs, about tons of different subjects. I have to first of all give kudos to whoever created your website and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an amazing post. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only a few posses and frankly you have it. The combination of informative and quality content is definitely extremely rare with the large amount of blogs on the internet.

balustrady December 8, 2010, 10:58 AM

I actually knew about most of this, but having said that, I still thought it was useful. Nice job!

Baseny ogrodowe December 9, 2010, 10:18 AM

it was very interesting to read. I want to quote your post in my blog. It can? And you have an account on Twitter?

Funny Jokes For Birthday Cards December 10, 2010, 10:56 PM

Sometimes people are layered like that. There’s something totally different underneath than what’s on the surface. But sometimes, there’s a third, even deeper level, and that one is the same as the top surface one. Like with pie.

gps December 11, 2010, 9:37 AM

Can I make a suggestion? I think youve got something good here. But what if you added a couple links to a page that backs up what youre saying? Or maybe you could give us something to look at, something that would connect what youre saying to something tangible? Just a suggestion.