How to Lie to Your Kids Using Spelling

Momlogic's Momstrosity: As anyone who's seen the documentary "Spellbound" knows, the art of spelling is not without drama. When it comes to proper spelling, there's a sharp divide between those who can and those who cant ... er, can't.

Then there are the blamers, who point fingers at the English language and its convoluted rules and peccadilloes. A small faction of them appeared in front of New York's Grand Hyatt today -- site of the 2010 Scripps National Spelling Bee (televised tonight on ABC). They were dressed like bees and were cursing our native tongue.

spelling bee

"Our alphabet has 425-plus ways of putting words together [illogically]," said one particularly irate bee, who was representing the  "Society of Literacy." Organization members were spotted passing out pamphlets suggesting a variety of phonetic spelling changes (a la "fruit" to "froot" and "slow" to "slo").

I couldn't agree more. Spelling is rough -- I have to spell at least 20 words a day. I have a preschooler who hears and understands EVERYTHING. And if she doesn't understand, she's not shy about asking. So spell we must, or we'd be up all night fielding questions like, "What's 'murdered?'" and "Who got sh**tfaced?"

It's not just scary words and swear words that need to get spelled out now, either. Preschoolers have a whole list of words that are deemed offensive. If you want to tell someone to shut up, for example, you'd better spell it, or you'll have to deal with tiny feet marching over to you and a kid accusing you of saying a "bad word" -- then trying to drag you into a timeout. Words like "ugly" and "fat" should also not be uttered within earshot of young "word police."

Another reason we incessantly spell things out is, frankly, to trick her. It's like spelling out l-e-a-s-h in front of a walk-loving dog. Let's put it this way: If you visit my home and you MUST talk about chocolate in front of my kid, please have the courtesy to spell it. My child, like most kids her age, is a sweets junkie. If she knew how to shoot up a chocolate bar, she would. We spell ALL desserts in our house -- including the word "dessert." (Although, considering my lack of spelling skills, I've more likely been spelling "desert.")

When this kid learns to spell -- and if she's anything like her mama, that will be never (more often than not, the only suggestion I get from spellcheck is, "Are you effing kidding me!?") -- we're going to have to change our style of conversation. Until then, though, I will continue our neverending spelling bee.

I commend those brave spellers tonight, for enduring protesters and for being able spell beyond the call of duty. One day, when they're parents, they'll really get to put their skills to use.

How often do you spell things out in front of your kids?

next: Too Big to Lose Weight?!
chase internet banking October 18, 2010, 2:13 PM

@Markus I get your drift on where you were going there. I often think of my past and use it as a means to analyze where I am and where I want to get to. Where I struggel is balancing it all out. How do you guys balance things out?

sniper games October 24, 2010, 7:57 PM

Brilliant, cheers, I will visit again.

Pura Raasch October 25, 2010, 12:02 AM

My friend and I have been just discussing this specific article, she is always endeavouring to prove me incorrect! I will show her this particular post and rub it in a little!

Christina Hendricks Pictures October 25, 2010, 10:56 AM

When I came over to this blog post I can only look at part of it, is this my net browser or the internet website? Should I reboot?

Genevie Beisser October 25, 2010, 3:33 PM

Reading a number of your posts I must say i found this particular one to generally be really good. I’ve a blog site as well and wish to repost some snips of your content on my blog website. Should it be ok if I do that so long as I reference your site or generate a backlink towards the write-up I procured the snip from? Otherwise I realize and could not do it without having your acceptance . I have book marked this valuable write-up to twitter as well as zynga account intended for reference. Nevertheless many thanks either way!

Jaimee Panila October 26, 2010, 1:21 PM

For some reason, plenty of teens think that has to cost a lot.

Danielle Theiler October 26, 2010, 6:52 PM

My mother and I want to create a blog much like this for our web site, I stumbled across your blog looking for some ideas on the theme and layout. I am taking some html coding class in college and not certain that I would be able to create a site like this one just yet. Did you code this blog on your own or employ a professional?

Sasha Innarelli October 27, 2010, 10:32 AM

Seeing this page I’m positive that i may well recognize via college, probably did happen to visit Texas Tech? If you did please blast me a message so we can easily get caught up it has been a long time! Anticipate conversing with you and hope all will be good with you.

Jamison Hargrow October 27, 2010, 4:40 PM

That’s the moment to get in.

Louie Aspley October 28, 2010, 5:00 AM

However, doing has to have a lot of preparation.

Winona Leza October 29, 2010, 7:36 AM

I practically revoke my support for this confusing viewpoint.

Donn Frisco October 30, 2010, 7:04 AM

You might guess that I’m crazy.

Margarito Heichel October 30, 2010, 4:54 PM

If does real good job, it will make mere mortals happy.

Louie Vertrees October 31, 2010, 12:12 AM

Who are you to look into something that describes so poorly?

Tera Vasiloff October 31, 2010, 8:00 AM

There are plenty of bad tips out there.

Evia Pop November 2, 2010, 11:38 PM

Extremely galvanizing article. I have read that a large amount of folk were moved by your electrifying post. Thanks for sharing this.

Maximo Beames November 3, 2010, 11:17 AM

will be a major player.

Herschel Korczynski November 13, 2010, 12:34 PM

Looking at your post I am sure that i may well know from the university, probably did happen to visit Tx Technology? If you did please shoot me an email so we can get up to date it’s been a long time! Anticipate speaking with you and pray all is well with you.

Daryl Jing November 18, 2010, 6:38 AM

Total I think that that is anything to contemplate nevertheless it would possibly just be slightly little bit of base. In my nation we ought to honer fabulous people and I’m honoring your submit as I do believe it can be tremendously good.

Arnoldo Stickel November 29, 2010, 5:36 PM

Is there anywhere else gentlepersons recover the best webinars?