The Art of Making Baby Food

Dra Aliza: As a new mom, you want nothing but the best for your baby -- and what better way to nurture your child than with homemade food prepared with lots of love?

baby eating

There are many reasons to prepare your own baby food. You can save money, monitor the ingredients and select fresh, organic foods to nourish your baby. If your baby is ready to start solid foods (4 to 6 months) and you are just beginning to learn to make homemade baby food, the main thing is to keep it simple.

At first, your baby may not like solid foods, but keep trying. Don't introduce more than one new type of food each week. Offer your baby the same new food for four tofive days to test for any allergic reactions. There is no need to sweeten, add salt or spice up foods for your baby. In fact, if you get them started on plain and simple foods, they will not develop a yearning for overly sweetened or salty foods later.

If you do decide to make your ownbaby food, remember that cleanliness and food safety are critical. Be sure to wash your hands before handling any food, and ensure that you're preparing food on a clean surface with clean utensils, pots and pans.

One thing you will need to buy is a food processor for grinding and puréeing. Alternately, you can use hand-held food grinders specially designed for preparing baby food. Wash and peel any food prior to preparing it. Cut into bite-size chunks. Steam the food when possible, since many nutrients are lost when boiling. Once the food is cooked, grind and purée with the food processor or hand-held food grinder.

It is advisable to make small batches of food at a time, since your baby's palate is getting used to many new foods, flavors and sensations; you don't want to be stuck with a batch of puréed chicken and squash if your baby didn't take to it too well. But when you find foods that your baby enjoys, you might consider storing a small batch to save on future cooking and prep time.

If you elect to freeze or can homemade food, be sure to prepare and store it carefully, since your baby's immune system is vulnerable and susceptible to illnesses. Store the extra food by spooning it into ice cube trays, freezing and, once frozen, placing it in a freezer bag. Be sure to label and date the bag. Keep in mind that fresh foods tend to spoil more quickly than processed foods, so be sure to use it or freeze it withinone to twodays of preparation.

A final thought before you set out on your baby-food-making adventure: Always consult with your physician before introducing any new foods into your baby's diet. He or she will have the best advice and guidelines on what foods to introduce to your baby's diet and when.

It is wonderful to give your baby a home-cooked meal, but don't worry if you are too busy. It is perfectly OK to buy healthy prepackaged foods. Just remember to check the nutrition labels first.Bon appétit!

next: Vicki Iovine: 'The World Needs a League of Girlfriends!'
Anonymous June 4, 2010, 5:50 PM

What is so wrong with store bought baby food?? If you ever read the ingredients it is just pureed veggies. Some of the fruit has a color stablizer in it, but otherwise it is just canned food, even the meats are just meat with water, no extras. For 37 cents a jar, it is well worth it to me to outsource my baby food.

Baby Food Wholesale June 5, 2010, 4:24 AM

You’ll then be taken to the shopping cart so you can finish buying your hr giger art prints on our secure server. Baby Food Wholesale

Anonymous June 7, 2010, 12:55 PM

You can buy a jar of baby food for 37 cents, thats what 2 ounces? I can buy an organic sweet potato for 50 cents and make about 8 ounces of baby food, you do the math. Making your own baby food is cheaper in the long run. Also, unless you are buying organic baby food a lot of the time there are additives, not just pureed veggies. If you are getting baby food that is just meat and water… do you know the quality of the meat? And if you make your own, instead of using water you can use breast milk (unless it was already frozen), which is definitely better for them than just water. The point this article is making is, yes it is okay to give them baby food from a jar; however, some mothers want to know exactly what their children are eating and this is a good way to start.

hypotheek August 8, 2010, 4:47 PM

Hypotheek informatie, hypotheek aanvragen of afsluiten? Hypotheekrentes bekijken. Hypotheek aanbieders vergelijken, hypotheek vormen, bijkomende kosten,

hypotheek August 8, 2010, 5:37 PM

Hypotheken? Heel veel hypotheek informatie: verschillende hypotheekvormen, hypotheekrentes, nationale hypotheek garantie, hoe een hypotheek te vergelijken.

Luba Wileman November 23, 2010, 5:30 AM

It absolutely looks to be so. Great post by the way!

Noe Jacko December 8, 2010, 9:12 AM

I keep listening to the news update talk about receiving free online grant applications so I have been looking around for the finest site to get one. Could you tell me please, where could i find some?

Eleanore Eliason December 12, 2010, 7:43 PM

Very efficiently written article. It will be valuable to anyone who employess it, including myself. Keep up the good work - i will definitely read more posts.

buy used jets December 13, 2010, 8:34 PM

Very efficiently written article. It will be beneficial to anyone who employess it, as well as yours truly :). Keep doing what you are doing - looking forward to more posts.

Here December 14, 2010, 9:16 AM

Thoroughly informative post!

make money at home December 14, 2010, 1:01 PM

Very well written article. It will be supportive to everyone who utilizes it, including myself. Keep doing what you are doing - for sure i will check out more posts.

Elmer Rosekrans December 14, 2010, 5:06 PM

You made some good points there. I did a search on the issue and found most guys will consent with your website.

Chuck Castillio December 14, 2010, 10:00 PM

I love this post a lot. I will definitely be back. Hope that I will be able to read more insightful posts then. Will be sharing your wisdom with all of my friends!

data entry jobs December 14, 2010, 11:23 PM

Very well written story. It will be helpful to anyone who utilizes it, as well as me. Keep doing what you are doing - can’r wait to read more posts.

Pamelia Foister December 15, 2010, 5:32 PM

Thank you for your wonderful article! It has been very helpful. I hope that you will continue sharing your wisdom with us.

sell online December 16, 2010, 3:47 AM

You completed a few nice points there. I did a search on the subject and found mainly people will go along with with your blog.

Body Tattoo December 16, 2010, 5:09 AM

Sources just like the one you mentioned here will be very useful to me! I’ll publish a hyperlink to this web page on my blog. I am certain my visitors will find that very useful.

used jets December 16, 2010, 4:23 PM

You made some nice points there. I did a search on the matter and found mainly people will go along with with your blog.

web design Philadelphia December 17, 2010, 8:10 AM

How did you make this blog look this awesome. Email me if you can and share your wisdom. I’d appreciate it.

air jordan 1 retro December 19, 2010, 10:06 AM

If you would go up high, then use your own legs ! Do not let yourselves carried aloft; do not seat yourselves on other people’s backs and heads. (F. W. Nietzsche, German Philosopher)