The Art of Making Baby Food

Dra Aliza: As a new mom, you want nothing but the best for your baby -- and what better way to nurture your child than with homemade food prepared with lots of love?

baby eating

There are many reasons to prepare your own baby food. You can save money, monitor the ingredients and select fresh, organic foods to nourish your baby. If your baby is ready to start solid foods (4 to 6 months) and you are just beginning to learn to make homemade baby food, the main thing is to keep it simple.

At first, your baby may not like solid foods, but keep trying. Don't introduce more than one new type of food each week. Offer your baby the same new food for four tofive days to test for any allergic reactions. There is no need to sweeten, add salt or spice up foods for your baby. In fact, if you get them started on plain and simple foods, they will not develop a yearning for overly sweetened or salty foods later.

If you do decide to make your ownbaby food, remember that cleanliness and food safety are critical. Be sure to wash your hands before handling any food, and ensure that you're preparing food on a clean surface with clean utensils, pots and pans.

One thing you will need to buy is a food processor for grinding and puréeing. Alternately, you can use hand-held food grinders specially designed for preparing baby food. Wash and peel any food prior to preparing it. Cut into bite-size chunks. Steam the food when possible, since many nutrients are lost when boiling. Once the food is cooked, grind and purée with the food processor or hand-held food grinder.

It is advisable to make small batches of food at a time, since your baby's palate is getting used to many new foods, flavors and sensations; you don't want to be stuck with a batch of puréed chicken and squash if your baby didn't take to it too well. But when you find foods that your baby enjoys, you might consider storing a small batch to save on future cooking and prep time.

If you elect to freeze or can homemade food, be sure to prepare and store it carefully, since your baby's immune system is vulnerable and susceptible to illnesses. Store the extra food by spooning it into ice cube trays, freezing and, once frozen, placing it in a freezer bag. Be sure to label and date the bag. Keep in mind that fresh foods tend to spoil more quickly than processed foods, so be sure to use it or freeze it withinone to twodays of preparation.

A final thought before you set out on your baby-food-making adventure: Always consult with your physician before introducing any new foods into your baby's diet. He or she will have the best advice and guidelines on what foods to introduce to your baby's diet and when.

It is wonderful to give your baby a home-cooked meal, but don't worry if you are too busy. It is perfectly OK to buy healthy prepackaged foods. Just remember to check the nutrition labels first.Bon appétit!

next: Vicki Iovine: 'The World Needs a League of Girlfriends!'
hiccup relief February 8, 2011, 6:51 PM

Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty article with me.

centra handlowe February 8, 2011, 7:55 PM

Hi, I can’t understand how to add your own web inside my rss reader. Is it possible to Accommodate me, gratify Your guitar seems like you’re making troubles manually by difficult with crack this kind of originate instead of appearing at why their is a snag included in the beginning of the process.

Spela Kasino February 8, 2011, 9:32 PM

Nice post! Really helpful to others, I guess you’re doing well! Good work mate!

apartment rentalt lisbon portugal February 9, 2011, 3:45 AM

Welcome to Portugal Rentals, we offer quality self-catering apartments for short and medium term stays in Portugal. We give you the opportunity to enjoy your vacation or business trip with the privacy and comfort of home.

linerider February 9, 2011, 5:55 AM

Super story it is surely. My teacher has been searching for this info.

Home Design Ideas February 9, 2011, 7:03 AM

As a Newbie, I am always searching online for articles that can help me. Thank you

Nan Savells February 9, 2011, 8:14 AM

Have You Got Your Mass Money Makers ?

fixed gear February 9, 2011, 9:31 AM

Would you be excited about exchanging hyperlinks?

Bireysel SEO February 9, 2011, 11:31 AM

Thank you very sharing.

Take Over Commission February 9, 2011, 4:35 PM

The very crux of your writing while sounding agreeable originally, did not really settle perfectly with me personally after some time. Someplace within the paragraphs you actually managed to make me a believer unfortunately just for a short while. I nevertheless have got a problem with your jumps in logic and one would do well to help fill in all those gaps. In the event you can accomplish that, I will undoubtedly be fascinated.

thanks for the fantastic post, advised in order to my buddies and also colleagues!

Lakiesha Prentiss February 9, 2011, 8:40 PM

Always valuable… no matter how many times read this!

Camfield February 9, 2011, 9:19 PM

Keep up the good work bro.Your article is really great and I truly enjoyed reading it.Waiting for some more great articles like this from you in the coming days.

motorcycle cup holder February 9, 2011, 10:51 PM

this post is very usefull thx!

Alejandro Junior February 10, 2011, 1:32 AM

goodness me this approach precisely what i needed may very well be.

clinic abortion February 10, 2011, 1:54 AM

Amazing article! I was looking for something entirely different when I came across your site. I thoroughly enjoyed the thought you put into this writting. i will bookmark to return later.

hepgel server tanıtımı February 10, 2011, 2:38 AM

Yess. Very nice topic.

green hosting reviews February 10, 2011, 3:39 AM

It’s appropriate time to make a few plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy. I have read this publish and if I may I desire to recommend you few interesting issues or advice. Perhaps you can write next articles regarding this article. I want to read even more issues approximately it!

green shared web hosting reviews February 10, 2011, 4:29 AM

Magnificent items from you, man. I’ve be aware your stuff previous to and you are just too fantastic. I really like what you’ve got right here, really like what you are saying and the way in which wherein you say it. You are making it entertaining and you continue to take care of to stay it wise. I can not wait to learn much more from you. This is actually a tremendous site.

Dorothy Thompson February 10, 2011, 4:35 AM

Good recommendations on dogs. I own an 8 yr old golden retriever and I love him to death. Will come back for sure! .