Urban Outfitters Sells Pro-Anorexia T-Shirt?

momlogic's VivianI was cruising CocoPerez.com when lo and behold, I came across this post about how Urban Outfitters just came out with a simple, baggy gray T-shirt emblazoned with a loaded statement: "Eat Less."

Anorexic Tee

Please note that the model chosen to wear this tee has thighs that don't touch at all. And the product description reads: "Eat less or more or however much you'd like in this seriously soft knit tee cut long and topped with a V-neck."

Really?

Since the Urban Outfitters target demographic lurks somewhere in the teens/early twenties, having a shirt like this on their shelves could make a risky statement that promotes poor self-image. Then again, it's just a shirt, right?

But what else could it possibly mean? Help me, because I'm struggling.

Eat less ... air?
Eat less ... at Joe's?
Eat less ... saturated fat?
Eat less ... meat from endangered species?
Eat less ... what, exactly?

Seriously: WTH?!

What do you guys think? An evil device to promote self-consciousness ... or just a damn T-shirt? And what would you say/think if your daughter saw fit to cruise around town in that bad boy?

next: Parenting FAIL! Wasted Dad Fondles Kids on Class Trip!
Anonymous June 4, 2010, 2:23 PM

Not everything is about anorexia; we are a society of overeaters. We sit down at restaurants to pack away serving sizes that could easily feed two adults as our butts expand exponentially. It’s an open statement and how it is interpretted says more about the person then the shirt. I see it as a healthy message; you see it as a dangerous soul crushing one. Go figure.

black iris June 4, 2010, 2:47 PM

I am completely confused by the shirt. Why would you want to buy it? I don’t think there’s any political or social message. Could it be they think people will buy it as some kind of good luck charm? I’ll wear this and it will keep me on my diet?

Healthy Momma June 4, 2010, 6:08 PM

Only obese people should wear such a shirt.

Stacy Brice June 4, 2010, 8:46 PM

As someone who was morbidly obese, and now, having lost 100+ lbs, more of a normal weight again, I can say that I don’t think that’s a shirt deserving of being worn by anyone.

It’s just stupid.

And if my child wanted to buy that? Honestly, I’d do my best to choke down what I just shared and ask her why she wanted it, and what that meant to her. I’d really want to understand, *and* see if there was a deeper conversation we should be having.

I’d ask the folks at Urban Outfitters the same thing, but I’d give them the stink-eye as I asked.

It could be just a tee—but it’s a crappy one, if you ask me.

Juliet RObinson June 5, 2010, 2:43 AM

MAybe it’s just a publicity stunt? It also sends conscious message to the wearer, which if you are overweight is not a bad thing, surely?

Anonymous June 5, 2010, 5:23 PM

I want it! Imma gonna go buy it!

Brandon Jones June 6, 2010, 10:00 PM

Its saying that women don’t eat enough.
It’s sarcasm.

Anonymous June 6, 2010, 10:01 PM

The first ‘Anonymous’ has it right.

‘Momlogic’ continues to be a moniker indicating that your site is full of over reations, misinterpretations and being out of touch.

Chelsey June 6, 2010, 10:03 PM

Wow. Well, no matter the meaning, I agree with black iris. Why would ANYONE buy that shirt? It’s such a stupid thing to put on a t-shirt. God, just leave it blank and save money instead of putting something so absurd on a t-shirt.

Austen June 6, 2010, 10:05 PM

They probably made it so moms could fret about how evil and damaging it is.

twentysomethingdummy June 6, 2010, 10:05 PM

hi, I’m actually a twenty something guy that stumbled upon this, and in my opinion, could this shirt not be taken ironically, that was my initial reaction, as well as a satire of the ironic concept, I don’t know I may be way off course here.

Dan June 6, 2010, 10:19 PM

This shirt will be the cause of Anorexia the same way a shirt that says “Eat More” will be the cause of Obesity. The tiny number who fall into a destructive cycle of anorexia from this shirt will be a small price to pay for the millions who are affected and moved to cure their obesity.

(This is of course assuming a shirt has as much sway as you seem to think it does.)

dbear June 6, 2010, 10:24 PM

I’m 22 years old, and spent about 4 months at the Renfrew center when I was 16 for an eating disorder. I understand that issues of taste, morality, and appropriateness are subject to a wide range of interpretations. I just want to throw mine in for the sake of argument.

It’s a shirt.

We live in a society of messages coming at as everyday that transform the way we think. But don’t you think that in its simplicity and brevity that it’s more an ironic statement? I mean, hell. It’s sold at Urban Outfitters, a store for hipsters—a crowd that loves their humor dry, sarcastic, and ironic. I don’t mean that negatively. I wouldn’t purchase it for myself, but seeing it on the street wouldn’t push me into another episode of bad eating habits.

The more that people sensationalize things, the more they become an issue in the first place. It’s just a t-shirt. A t-shirt.

Celeste June 7, 2010, 9:08 PM

NOT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT ANOREXIA

I hate this hate against skinny girls i’m a petite girl and i have way more troubles finding clothes than bigger girls.

FAT is not healthy

Anne June 8, 2010, 2:25 PM

Its just a shirt, but the message on it is stupid. There’s no other way to take the message other than its telling you to eat less. Theres no….. Trailing dots to let you know that the message… continues. So with that in mind I have to say its going to support teens making fun of the fat kids, but thats how it normally is anyway. Movies, TV shows, magazines, and some shirts, im sure this isnt the only one, support that type of hatred, and if people want to wear it its their right. Just because their shirt says “I See Fat People” doesnt mean they shouldn’t be allowed to express that opinon, of course when someone at their school snaps and kills them along with a few others we cant really blame them either.

Lynda June 11, 2010, 2:00 AM

im 14, and have some pretty nasty eating disorders. they dont stem from t-shirts, or advertisement like this. im healthy, yes, i just rarely eat. you dont have to eat 500 big macs a month to be healthy. and i think this is what the shirt might be targeting?

it could be aimed as a health statement to the public in general. cause honestly, walking in to mcdonalds once a while, and seeing such morbidly obese people, yeah… it makes me detest eating because the fact that people let them selves go like that. honestly, id buy a ton of those shirts, and hang them around fast food restaurants.

but in the long run, its a shirt. if youre that worried about your daughter or whom ever, being influenced by such a shirt, then you havent done a good enough job raising them. by the time i was, what?, 5?! my mom had taught me that every one looks different just as sure as every one poops. and if your comfortable in your own skin, weather you be under,over, or at an average weight, then why try and look like some one else?

shannon June 27, 2010, 11:29 AM

As someone who has suffered from anorexia in the past, I can offer this: I don’t think anyone with anorexia, bulimia, compulsive overeating, or who is obese would want to wear this shirt because it would call attention to their disorder. MOST (of course not all) people with an eating disorder use all of their energy to ensure that they will not be “found out.”

However, it is possible that it could be worn by people with eating disorders that are seeking attention.

In my opinion, it’s just a shirt, but with a poorly thought out concept.

open to interpretation June 27, 2010, 4:25 PM

although I wouldn’t consider myself an authority on the subject, I would say the shirt could be satirical. Not sarcastic, as an above comment suggests: sarcasm is weak in comparison to the power of satire.

On a model the size of a toothpick, the shirt mocks media and even fashion that tells young girls to look a certain way. “Eat Less” is a statement that, hopefully, is easily interpreted as brutally wrong and outright idiotic; however it is just a more upfront and honest summary of what young women are told to do already.

I would absolutely buy that shirt if I was female.

Anonymous July 20, 2010, 2:09 PM

Maybe it says eat less because the shirts only come in smaller sizes? Besides it doesnt say,”Starve Yourself”.

thea September 2, 2010, 3:05 PM

Of course UO doesn’t think EDs are cool. But as one who suffers, and is in recovery from, an ED, it’s upsetting. There are always going to be things that remind ME of EDs, and how painful it is, but that’s just the way it is. Too bad, because I love Urban Outfitters.

But completely separate to my personal association to it I just don’t -get it-. If i saw someone wearing that I’d probably laugh at them. Oh well, to each his own.