Why Do Black Kids Drown More Often Than Whites?

Kate Tuttle: Among parental fears, losing a child to a thoughtless, preventable accident has got to be at the top of the list. Every year, hundreds of children under 14 die of drowning -- and several hundred more survive but are left permanently disabled. Although there are always a few cases in which children drown in deep water or treacherous riptides, the majority of these drownings occur in swimming pools.

Kid swimming

The summer swimming season is upon us, with pools open in most towns and children being shepherded to swim outings on a daily basis. Now, a new study (reported last week in the Wall Street Journal) hasexposed some sad connections between race, income and drowning. Black children between the ages of 5 and 14, the study says, drowned at a rate three times that of white children in the years studied.

Although all children are at risk of drowning when they lack adequate supervision or are unskilled at swimming, kids of color and poor kids in general are several times more likely to find themselves in dangerous situations. The WSJ article details several reasons for this, citing budget cuts that 1) remove lifeguards from public pools, 2) abolish the opportunity to take swim lessons and/or 3) keep pools out of poor neighborhoods altogether, thereby ensuring that children in those areas never learn to swim -- and putting them in grave danger when their youth group has a beach or lake day.

Sad as that is, it's at least somewhat intuitive (less access to pools means less swimming expertise means more danger. Got it). But the study, which was conducted by researchers at the University of Memphis, also pointed to less obvious sources of the drowning gap. It turns out that generations of not swimming (caused, in the case of black children, by decades of Jim Crow-style segregation and discrimination in public pools) has left many black parents -- and indeed, poor parents of all races -- wary of allowing their children to go swimming or take lessons. The tragic irony, of course, is that swimming lessons offer protection against drowning -- they don't cause it.

Highlighting the role of racial prejudice in keeping black kids from the pool is the study's most painful contribution -- yet, I'd argue, it's its most useful. For while a lot of folks probably think that segregation went out of style in the '50s and '60s, many public swimming pools had unwritten rules keeping black kids out well into the '70s and beyond (even as recently aslast year, a country club that had offered its pool facilities to a local youth group rescinded that offer after it turned out that the kids were black). It's this kind of story -- and the demonstrable, lingering aftereffects quantified by the University of Memphis study -- that draw a clear connection between racial discrimination and harm to innocent children. And that's a fact that ought to give us all pause as we pack our beach bags.

For more on drowning dangers and how to help protect your loved ones, read the CDC fact sheet on water-related injuries.

next: Divorce Dialogues: Experiences in Disunion
DoSomethingAboutIt August 15, 2010, 2:39 PM

People forget that just because you experienced something different than what the statistics say that doesn’t mean we should ignore the statistics.

Fear is the number one factor. And we should know by now how powerful fear is. No matter how irrational it is to believe that learning how to swim gives one better ability to fend off drowning, it is still a belief nonetheless. Get mad about the race being attached to the statistics, that doesn’t change the matter at hand.

DoSomethingAboutIt August 15, 2010, 2:42 PM

Oops I meant to say “No matter how irrational it is to believe that learning how to swim DOES NOT give one better ability to fend off drowning, it is still a belief nonetheless.

Online Banking Saftey October 18, 2010, 12:32 PM

Glad to see that this site works well on my Droid , everything I want to do is functional. Thanks for keeping it up to date with the latest.

diazepam December 1, 2010, 3:41 PM

I dont completely understand your view, but I get the point.

Wedding Sand Ceremony Kits December 15, 2010, 2:32 AM

Sometimes people are layered like that. There’s something totally different underneath than what’s on the surface. But sometimes, there’s a third, even deeper level, and that one is the same as the top surface one. Like with pie.

hairstyles 2012 in the philippines December 22, 2010, 4:26 AM

If at first you don’t succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

Michael Lewis December 29, 2010, 5:17 AM

Excellent work there. .

dieta personalizata January 4, 2011, 6:47 AM

I have been scouring the Web for this info and just wanted to say thanks to u for the post. BTW, just off topic, how can i find a copy of this theme? – Regards

Bsa Flag Retirement Ceremony Script January 6, 2011, 1:45 PM

Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

Breast enlargement without surgery January 9, 2011, 6:15 AM

This web page can be a stroll-by for all the data you wished about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse right here, and youi’ll definitely discover it.

Unlock iPhone January 14, 2011, 9:52 AM

Super-Duper site! I am loving it!! Will come back again. I am taking your feeds also

Belgrade January 14, 2011, 5:11 PM

I am constantly searching online for ideas that can assist me. Thanks!

cheap faux wood blinds January 25, 2011, 10:21 PM

Refreshing and I would like to thank you for the effort you have made in publishing this piece.very informative. I wish there were additional blogs like it. Nonetheless, I felt it was around time I thanked you.Im not that much of a reader to be frank however your sites pretty first-class, keep it up as I will bookmark ready for my next read.

Wilford Alfisi February 6, 2011, 7:07 AM

I am always looking online for ideas that can aid me. Thx!

frankenstein book 3 koontz torrent March 8, 2011, 1:15 AM

Very good written story. It will be supportive to anybody who utilizes it, as well as me. Keep up the good work - looking forward to more posts. %WEBSITE%

ślady kryminalistyczne April 9, 2011, 6:47 AM

Thanks very much for your great post. I have been searching for such information for a very long time. Not all your content is fully clear to me, even though it is definitely interesting and worth reading.