Why I Feel Horrified for Kyron Horman's Stepmom

Attorney Robin Sax: Kyron Horman, age 7, is as adorable as can be. And he has completely disappeared with no leads after a school science fair. Kyron was last seen at Skyline Elementary School in Portland, Ore., last Friday, June 4, 2010. He had done a project on the red-eyed tree frog. Kyron seemed happy that morning at school.

Terri Moulton Horman

Sheriff's deputies, FBI patrols and the National Guard have all been searching for Kyron for eight days now. In addition to its Behavioral Analysis Unit, the FBI has dispatched its Child Abduction Rapid Deployment Team -- although that doesn't necessarily mean the authorities have determined that an abduction has taken place. Classmates and teachers have been questioned, as well as Kyron's stepmom, Terri Moulton Horman.

As a stepmother myself, I feel horrified that his stepmom (who apparently was the last person to be with him) has been softly implicated in some media reports. I can only imagine her heartbreak and heartache at his disappearance. It also must be hard for her to be questioned. But despite my sympathy, I can't help but wonder why the family didn't come out and address the public sooner. Why didn't they immediately reach out (beg, gravel, cajole) for help finding their son? A Facebook friend of mine from college reached out to me last weekend; shouldn't we expect the parents of this missing kid to do the same?

Until their first public appearance Friday afternoon, all four of Kyron's parents (two biological, two step) had been noticeably absent from the media. That might have been because they were in shock. I have dealt with hundreds of abduction cases, and I can tell you that the range of the parents' responses are as diverse as their kids -- and the crimes themselves. So my words shouldn't be taken to mean that I think Kyron's stepmom (or any of his other parents/guardians) are guilty in any way. In this media-crazed day and age, though, parents of missing kids must connect with intelligent, media-savvy professionals who can give them guidance and help them use the media to their best advantage in the search for their missing child.

Kyron was last seen wearing a black "CSI" shirt and dark cargo pants. If you have any information on Kyron's disappearance, please call the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office tip line at 503-261-2847.

next: Top 10 Posts Moms Are Talking About
Angie June 28, 2010, 11:48 AM

Other sites are talking about Harry Oakes starting a search for Kyron. He needs a scent article of Kyrons. Please, if the family or friends of the family read this site, please consider giving Mr Oakes a scent article. Rumor has it he will be starting today. So many people have adopted that little boy into their hearts …

Linda July 1, 2010, 4:44 PM

I would like to know where she left her baby while at school?

Ker July 4, 2010, 9:24 AM

I don’t care whether i was advised to eat healthy exercise and act as if things were normal. If my seven year old child turned up missing and NOT at the bus stop, I would be down at that school so fast, scouring the grounds calling his name.
Not on a computer, on facebook or message boards saying ” the cat is fine”.
I wouldn’t need to go to the gym, i ‘d be getting a lot of exercise walking and yelling KYRON! KYron where are you?
I know they say he’s a timid boy unlikely to have wandered off, but he’s a seven year old boy, they are curious and unpredictable. If he can walk, he can wander.
I just don’t understand it, in the early stages, i would have been out there until my feet were blistered. If the sheriff prohibited me from searching when it started to look like a crime had occurred, I would be at whatever functioned as a command post for the search awaiting news. And i would be addressing the public, begging people to find my baby, asking someone if they please took my baby to let him go.
Honestly, I was frantic when a stray dog i took in vanished from my gated yard after two weeks of keeping him. I searched high and low in the middle of the night in Brooklyn!
They would have to arrest me to keep me from searching for my child.

Carolyn July 4, 2010, 11:09 AM

So the plot gets thicker by the day and now we find out that Terri Horman tried to have her husband murdered. Do you still feel horrified for her, Ms. Sax?

crystal from chattanooga,tn July 6, 2010, 8:27 PM

our thoughts and prayers are with the family. We are all praying for Kyrons safe return.

rebecca July 13, 2010, 8:29 AM

I wonder how she is going to pay her lawyer’s retainers? or is her criminal lawyer going pro bono? And she’s going to need a divorce lawyer, how’s she going to come up with all this money? She doesn’t have a job does she?

Mercy July 20, 2010, 1:37 PM

Hey TerriFan, We also hear your smack about the bio mom. Get a Life!
Also we know Th son was taken out of the house early Sat AM. We also know of her dealings with the same sex, are you one of them? You are so incorrect about people, all they want is Kyron home!
More than anyone could say for you or Th.

Cindy August 13, 2010, 4:45 PM

I wish that someone in the area would encourage all the school personnel to look very closely at the list of sex offenders in Oregon and Washington and to try to remember if they have ever encountered one of them recently, or if they volunteered anywhere like a shelter or food pantry or church and misplaced their keys, and the abductor gained access to the school that way. I know its farfetched but there have been several instances on the east coast where children have been abducted due to offenders getting access to keys. Maybe a community member could try to jog the memory of those at the school.

Online Banking October 18, 2010, 11:53 AM

@Markus I get your drift on where you were going there. I often think of my past and use it as a means to analyze where I am and where I want to get to. Where I struggel is balancing it all out. How do you guys balance things out?

louis vuitton bags May 4, 2011, 5:32 PM

I notice you have not written one more weblog for a while?

louis vuitton Handbags May 9, 2011, 5:36 AM

I notice you have not written one more weblog for a while?