Working Wives, Working Husbands, and Divorce

Diana Landen: Do we still have a double standard when it comes to marriage and work? When Jesse James cheated on Sandra Bullock, people were quick to blame her successful career. Why aren't we saying the same thing about Al and Tipper Gore?

Al and Tipper Gore
Remember the deadly "Curse of the Best-Actress Oscar"? We read about all the Oscar-winning actresses who have gotten divorced, along with the suggestion that men can't take a wife who is more successful than they are. And what about the "Sandra Bullock Trade"? That's what the New York Times called winning an Academy Award, but losing your husband. According to columnist David Brooks, Sandra Bullock got a rotten deal.

It gets worse.Writer Bonnie Fuller's male friends told her the cheating was Sandra Bullock's fault for working so hard. "Men need sex," said one. "You can't leave a horny guy like Jesse James alone for months at a time; he'll get up to no good." Said another, "[Sandra] was probably so engrossed in her career ... Jesse felt neglected." And one expert suggested that Jesse James "may have felt emasculated about [Sandra] being this super-famous, award-winning actress. [Cheating] was his unconscious way of hurting her because he's jealous of her."

What are people saying about Al and Tipper Gore's divorcing after 40 years? Mostly, we're just sad and bewildered. Ten years ago, Al Gore said he'd loved Tipper with his whole heart since his senior prom. What happened?We keep asking if Al cheated on his wife, as if we can't believe in any other explanation. Sally Quinn actually suggested that the split happened because Al Gore never got over his loss in the 2000 Presidential election.

Experts fall back on platitudes: People grow apart; they don't evolve together; they don't have shared interests after the children grow up. Columnists argue over whether or not it's possible for anyone to stay married.Oddly, Rush Limbaugh was one of the few pundits to suggest that there could have been something wrong in the marriage before the divorce. Of course, he goes on to some strange theory that Tipper Gore was just waiting for Al Gore to get rich before she divorced him.

What about Al Gore's career? There are a few suggestions that he was busy traveling all the time. (One commenter raised the question politely in an online discussion at the Washington Post.) But there is no deadly "Curse of the Nobel Peace Prize," no "Al Gore Trade." Nobody is suggesting that Tipper Gore felt neglected, sexually frustrated and jealous of her husband's success.

The crazy thing is, work probably had nothing to do with Sandra Bullock's divorce, but it might have had something to do with Al Gore's.Jesse James already had two divorces under his belt. He cheated on his former wives, and he is alleged to have had four mistresses while he was married to Sandra Bullock. Jesse James cheated because he was Jesse James. If Sandra Bullock had quit her job when she married him, she still would have ended up divorced, but she wouldn't have won an Oscar.

What about working husband Al Gore? According to the Washington Post, when Al was in Congress, Tipper didn't like being left in Washington every weekend while her husband went back to work in the district. Al hadn't consulted Tipper when he decided to run for Congress, and she was furious when he told her he was going to run for President back in 1987. Tipper joked that Al actually had more time for his family when he was Vice President. What about after he officially left politics? In the past ten years, Al Gore has worked hard, traveled away from home and won both an Academy Award and a Nobel Peace Prize.

We can't know why the Gores are separating, but why the double standard? Why do we blame a woman's career if her marriage falls apart, but not a man's? Why make women afraid to succeed? On the other hand, maybe it would be good for some men to hear that working too hard might mean losing the love of your life.

next: 10 Reasons to Watch 'Twist of Kate'
HeeHee June 4, 2010, 9:35 AM

she’s probably divorcing him because he’s ugly

Anonymous June 4, 2010, 9:56 AM

Agreed Hee Hee. Maybe she doesn’t believe in global warming and sick of hearing him talk about it!!!

Themes for Vista October 18, 2010, 1:41 PM

So not really on the same topic as your post, but I found this today and I just can’t resist sharing. Mrs. Agathe’s dishwasher quit working so she called a repairman. Since she had to go to work the next day, she told him, “I’ll leave the key under the mat. Fix the dishwasher, leave the bill on the counter, and I’ll mail you the check. Oh, and by the way…don’t worry about my Doberman. He won’t bother you. But, whatever you do, do NOT under ANY circumstances talk to my parrot!” When the repairman arrived at Mrs. Agathe’s apartment the next day, he discovered the biggest and meanest looking Doberman he had ever seen. But just as she had said, the dog simply laid there on the carpet, watching the repairman go about his business. However, the whole time the parrot drove him nuts with his incessant cursing, yelling and name-calling. Finally the repairman couldn’t contain himself any longer and yelled, “Shut up, you stupid ugly bird!” To which the parrot replied, “Get him, Spike!”

sniper games October 24, 2010, 7:57 PM

This site has got some very helpful information on it! Thank you for informing me!

Sarai Inacio October 24, 2010, 10:22 PM

There’s a thousand ways to talk on my angelic thoughts concerning.

Norris Watling October 25, 2010, 4:31 AM

My friend and I had been just talking over this specific issue, she’s constantly trying to prove me wrong! I am going to show her this particular blog post not to mention rub it in a little!

Delorse Man October 26, 2010, 5:27 PM

Just simply wished to say I genuinely respect your work on this blog site and the high-quality articles you make. These type of posting tend to be what keeps me going through the day time. I discovered this post right after a good friend of mine suggested it to me. I perform a little blogging and site-building personally and I am always thankful to check out others giving quality info towards online community. I will definitely be following and have bookmarked your webblog to my myspace account for others to visit.

Bari Skalicky October 27, 2010, 11:10 AM

I have been exploring on the web looking for some ideas on the way to get our website coded, your current design together with design are excellent. Did you code it yourself or did you hire a programmer to do it on your behalf?

Hassie Pelton October 27, 2010, 7:02 PM

You must get that without delay.

Helga Sirek October 28, 2010, 10:40 AM

There are no conjectures in this method of thinking.

Darius Diniz October 29, 2010, 1:56 PM

What a bummer! In this post, I’m going to talk about why is so pressing.

Kieth Briano October 30, 2010, 11:09 AM

You may presume that I don’t have a clue about what I’m talking about in respect to that.

Elva Branche October 31, 2010, 2:17 AM

This quote encourages me, Better die with honor than live with shame.

Cleveland Peterman October 31, 2010, 10:22 AM

It may surprise you to find out that is true for and This is a really tough decision for you to make.

Martina Lerra November 3, 2010, 8:29 AM

It is hard and my amigos as of now know this.

Adelaida Forson November 3, 2010, 1:17 PM

Honestly! You’re not alone in this.

get cash for surveys November 3, 2010, 4:23 PM

weblog. Also

Emanuel Dorion November 9, 2010, 11:24 AM

Here’s the thought: is quite basic actually.

Bradley Kurdyla November 10, 2010, 9:21 AM

This should have you eating out of the palms of my hands.

Earle Tinkey November 13, 2010, 11:24 AM

My partner and I really enjoyed reading this post, I was just itching to know do you trade featured articles or blog posts? I am always in search of somebody to make trades with and simply thought I might ask.