Seventy kids have drowned in the United States since Memorial Day ... and there have been 80 near-drownings. Every year, 300 children younger than 5 drown in pools and spas. Here's how to keep your kids safe, courtesy of "Today":
- Life rings and floats should always be nearby.
- Fence-off pools to keep kids out.
- Children should never be left unattended.
- Keep kids away from pool drains and pipes.
- Use floating alarms.
- In public pools, CPR-trained lifeguards should never lose focus. (Alarmingly, a CBS undercover investigation found lifeguards texting and reading magazines on duty.)