Another Pit Bull Attacks!

Guest blooger Angela: It seems like every week there's another story of a pit bull killing or mauling someone -- and it's usually a kid. Recently, I read about one pit eating off a baby's testicles, and another gnawing off a child's toes. I mean, can you imagine? Domesticated dogs aren't supposed to do this! Well, the list of pit bull-caused injuries has grown again -- and this time, it has hit closer to home.

Pitbull barks

My daughter's friend, Sam, 8, was just viciously attacked by her friend's pit bull. Apparently she was just standing there when this dog suddenly grabbed her, dragged her into the backyard, shook her like a rag doll and fractured her femur. Sam is a slight little girl, too -- teeny for her age. I'm sure the dog weighed more than she does. Honestly, I don't know how she made it out alive. If you could see her, you wouldn't think she'd be able to survive the wind blowing her down.

Anyway, she was taken to the hospital, but no charges were filed against the dog's owners because the two families are good friends. The animal is still there in the house, too. Unbelieveable. If that were my dog, I'd have had it put down immediately, no questions asked. And if it were my kid who'd been hurt, I'd demand it. If you own a pit bull, it's not a question of if it's going to attack, but of when. There are just too many cases to assume otherwise. (Go ahead and Google "pit bull attacks on children" and see how many hits you get.)

I already know what kind of comments this post will get: "It's not the dog, it's the owner"; "Not ALL pit bulls are bad"; "Any dog can attack a child ...." Blah, blah, blah, whatever. I don't recall the last time a LABRADOODLE ate off a baby's testicles, broke an 8-year-old girl's leg or killed someone. Get real! Pit-bull owners are fools if they think their dogs don't have it in them to kill. Even if you think yours is the most gentle and sweetest of pooches, you still cannot ignore the fact that these dogs are bred to be aggressive. It's in their nature to attack.

How many people have to get harmed (or killed) before it's illegal for these dogs to be around children?

next: Mel Gibson: A Racist, Misogynist and Anti-Semite!
DalaiPit July 15, 2010, 6:00 AM

Fear mongering is so unbecoming.

Fact: According to the CDC (not a dog, let alone breed specific organization), there are more than 4.7 dog attacks ANNUALLY. More than 800,000 serious enough to require medical treatment.

Do you expect us to believe that every year ONLY Pit Bulls cause that many serious bites?

Last year, there were 33 dog bite related deaths. 16 different breeds/types of dogs were involved.

20 of the 33 deaths were children under the age 12. Most were under the age of 5, unsupervised and involved chained dogs (not family pets but yard dogs).

35% of today’s journalists say that newsworthy stories are actually shunned if they’ll hurt the financial interests of their news organizations.

In other words, they want ‘stories’ that makes readers/viewers tune in or pick up their paper. One ‘Pit Bull’ attack will appear in more than 150 media outlets (i.e. repeated reporting of the exact same story - with no fact checking involved. Each of these reprints will appear in your ‘google search’), however a lab owned by a childs grandmother that caused said child to require 100’s of sutures and surgeries is reported only once in two different LOCAL papers.

Each of the two stories you have cited involving chewed testicles and toes, also involved (chemically) altered parents. In fact, the infants whose toes were chewed off was in the SAME room with the mother, who SLEPT through the ‘puppys’ attack. Yes, it was a puppy, not a full grown dog. Yes, they were all 3 in the room TOGETHER. So, can I (or frankly any responsible person, parent or not)imagine? Absolutely not!

I cannot imagine blaming good dogs for what the media presents as a monster based on a few (in comparison to the number of pit bulls in this country) anymore than I can imagine being a parent that SLEEPS through a puppy chewing my infants toes off.

Gemma July 15, 2010, 6:38 AM

Well said, Angela. It is ridiculous and reckless to keep such large and potentially dangerous dogs as pets, particularly when there are children in the home.

Jilly July 15, 2010, 7:30 AM

DalaiPit, why are you so defensive of dogs over humans? I am a dog lover for sure…3 fabulous dogs reside here! However, it is a dog that we as humans cannot possible always understand or predict. I have a 15 pounder that I watch with caution when my 2 year old tries to hug him. She can be over zealous and he can be feisty when he wants to be left alone and sometimes is is totally into it. The point is, all dogs should be supervised around children and some should be supervised at all times and some should be put down. I do feel that the danger is a combo of human and dog, but also that it is related to the types of dogs(for the most part, i realize any dog can be viscious, but lets be real, who will do the most damage a dog under 20lb or a dog over 50lb? so, yes the large breeds are going to be targeted more often).
Anyway, what I am trying to say is, I do not beleive it is fear mongering, it is a warning…BE CAUTIOUS! Don’t get so defensive, love your dogs, but don’t defend them over humans!

Waterduv July 15, 2010, 7:33 AM

I agree with DalaiPit I’ve heard of Labradors, Goldens and Dalmations attacking children many times before. Yet the media only shows us pitbulls attacking children. Well the truth is any dog that hasn’t been trained properly will attack. It’s all about how they were bred and how they are treated by their owners. I bet alot of the pitbulls that attack children were either provoked or have always been chained up in the backyard and not ever taken for walks. I have owned a beautiful female pitbull and she was sweeter then the Prembroke Welsh Corgi we had around the time she was around. Pitbulls have always been given a bad name because of certain people breeding them to fight and attack. To me that is animal cruelty. I’ve also noticed people that have never been around the breed are the ones that make the news reportings and post stories all over the place. People should meet with the animal before giving false information about the breed. I grew up in Los Angeles CA and was always scared of pitbulls because of course around there they were bred for fighting. Once I moved to Idaho I settled in and met my husband. We got married moved in together and decided to adopt dogs. We adopted a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. I was out of state for a few days and came home to two dogs. My husband had gotten a dog while I was away. To my surprise it was a pitbull. I was so afraid of it. After a while I got to know her and she was so gentle and sweet I couldn’t believe it. So now you see I was changed by this and noticed how people need to experience the company of this breed before speaking bad of them.

Waterduv July 15, 2010, 7:44 AM

Jilly you are also correct. Here is a link to stories from the 2000s about different breed of dogs attacking even pomeranians need to be very well supervised specially around children. I have two lab puppies right now (well I wouldn’t really call them puppies since they’re almost 100lbs) and I never ever leave my 8 month old around them unsupervised. Even though they are gentle they wouldn’t know their own strenght and could accidentaly step on her or roll over her. Anything could happen with dogs around kids.

Amy July 15, 2010, 7:50 AM

All dogs can be dangerous. When I was a child, a friend’s collie bit me in the face. It was a tramatizing experience for me and I hated all dogs for a long time. Growing up, my mother owned a miniature poodle who was outrageously aggressive. It was always growling, filled with unnecessary anger, and was always nipping at mine and my sister’s feet. When I was in college, a boyfriend and I got a husky together. She was the worst behaved dog I have ever known. Always jumping on guests who came into the house and biting at their hands. One night when we were sleeping, she mercilessly tore apart my boyfriend’s couch and pulled up the carpet along the base of the walls. Now I own an American Pit Bull Terrier and he is the best dog I have ever had. He is well tempered with strangers and has good manners around the house. He is playful and loving, but protective when he needs to be. Every puppy that is born is a blank slate waiting for training. All dogs can become aggressive. Why don’t we just ban all dogs, Angela?

HMM July 15, 2010, 8:26 AM

@DalaiPit…blah, blah, blah

mutt July 15, 2010, 9:00 AM

Almost all of these dogs that KILLED their victims were family pets of “responsible” pit owners. One breed stands out above all the rest. Pit bulls have become a common news story because they are more HUMAN AGGRESSIVE than any other breed of dog. “Ban the Breed Because of its Deeds” makes more sense every day that goes by.
2010 USA DOG-RELATED FATALITIES
1. June 16, 2010———-Age: 30-PIT BULL/Boxer Mix (3) Rott.Mix (1), BullMastiff Mix (5)
2. June 3, 2010————-AGE: 9-PIT BULL.
3. May 20, 2010————AGE: 3- Sled Dog.
4. April 14, 2010———-AGE: 7 Days-PIT BULL.
5. March 08, 2010 ——AGE: 9 Months-Rottweiler (2).
6. March 04, 2010——-AGE: 65-PIT BULL.
7. February 28, 2010—AGE: 4-Rottweiler.
8. February 18, 2010—AGE: 10 Days-PIT BULL (attacked at 5 days old).
9. February 20, 2010—AGE: 3-American Bulldog.
10. February 20, 2010-AGE: 38-PIT BULLS (6).
11. February 18, 2010-AGE: 11 Days-Siberian Husky.
12. February 12, 2010-AGE: 5-PIT BULL.
13. February 07, 2010-AGE: 63-Rottweiler mix.
14. January 17, 2010—AGE: 56-PIT BULLS (4-6).
15. January 09, 2010—AGE: 3-PIT BULL.

BullyBob July 15, 2010, 9:16 AM

What is a pit bull?
The term “pit bull” does not always refer to the American Pit Bull Terrier, which is a breed of dog recognized by the United Kennel Club and the American Dog Breeders Association. More commonly, it is used informally to describe a type of dog that encompasses several similar breeds, including the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier and Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Those dogs share some physical characteristics, but they’re not the same.
There is a lot of confusion, even among dog experts, about what a pit bull is exactly. In general, pit bull-type dogs are medium-sized, around 35 to 55 pounds, with short coats and wedge-shaped heads. They are considered affectionate, loyal and strong. Taken as a group they are by some estimates the most common and popular dog in the history of the United States. American Pit Bull Terriers are slim,
athletic dogs, and according to the breed standard should never be muscle-bound, overly large or aggressive to people. Picture Petey from The Little Rascals.
And yet stories of pit bull maulings abound in the media. In many of those cases, the dogs turn out to be boxers, mastiffs, American bulldogs, or some other strong, big-headed breed. Often, they are mixed breeds of indeterminate lineage.
Studies using DNA analysis have shown that adoption agencies guessed a dog’s breed wrong 75 percent of the time. Owners, neighbors, bystanders, police and newspaper reporters likely fare no better.

Bullybob July 15, 2010, 9:25 AM

Considering the fact the breed pit bull does not exist and is basically a “mutt” I consider Mutt’s post full of not substantiated “bs”. All BSL does is make people think they are safe when in actuality the number of dog bites goes up. If I want a mean dog or a big dog I will just find a breed that is not banned.
It is up to people that have children to watch them and decide whether to get a dog.
A true fact the first face transplant was done in France. The result of a dog mauling. The dog was identified as a labrador. Oh dont forget about the doxie that chewed the toes of an infant.
Hey did you read about the pit bull type dog that just saved an entire family in Indiana when there trailor caught on fire . The dog woke the family up and actually had the babies basinet at the door ready to go.

jesse July 15, 2010, 12:27 PM

Angela, you are uneducated and discriminate. More people hurt and kill people than dogs, so why do they allow us to exist? So if one human is a criminal, we all are? Get a pitbull or a dog of the bully breed, and you tell me how horrible they are. Bet you’d fall in love and your attitude would change. For everyone else out there that wants to ban pitbulls, relize that most of these stories you read are media hype, and most of the dogs are not pitbulls at all.

Kim Bujalka July 15, 2010, 12:42 PM

It’s really sad this happened to this little girl very sad but where were the adults supervising? I have heard time and time again to never leave children alone with animals. It’s really not the breed. You can believe whatever you like we all have opinions. As an owner of a pit bull and a mother of two small children I wouldn’t trade my dog for anything. It is humans that turn these dogs aggressive, proper training is very important for any dog. Not every human should be allowed to be a dog owner. It’s really sad that the only stories we hear about are pit bulls and most the time they can’t identify the breed so it’s automatically a pit! Very unfair. I will continue to have pit bulls and I will fight for them until I die! This breed has so much to offer and we just need to make sure certain people don’t get their hands on them. Then hopefully we won’t hear about any dog attacks.

DalaiPit July 15, 2010, 2:23 PM

A dog tied in the backyard 24/7 does not make a ‘family pet’ MUTT. In addition to this, as was pointed out by BullyBob, the stories are not substantiated.

Why doesn’t the media print a picture of the accused dog everytime they print these stories? Just this week the media has printed (and reprinted) a story of police killing a 100 lb. pit bull.

A 100 POUND PIT BULL? Really? What kind of pit bull is that MUTT? But all that matters is the media got the words Pit Bull in the headline/story. Facts (such as the breed standard) doesn’t apply to the story.

Karen NZ July 15, 2010, 2:31 PM

All sorts of dogs kill and maim children for the usual standard, well-documented reasons.

If you want to learn don’t try to learn from the media. They have a vested interest in selling hype - not truth.

If you just want to be a hater go to colleen lynn’s infamous propaganda website dogsbite.org or if you just want to be an easily led ninny all your life quote Merrit Clifton’s “statistics” gleaned only from media reports.

You are still 5 times more likely to be struck by lightning than killed by any kind of dog so why all the fuss over something that is such a rare event?

Check out the agenda of PETA & HSUS and you’ll see who’s driving anti-pet legislation and why Pit Bulls have been scapegoated as they have.

nutmac July 15, 2010, 5:11 PM

I actually have to blame the parents of the girl. Don’t let your kid approach a dangerous breed of animal.

Jane July 15, 2010, 10:46 PM

How many of these attacks could have been avoided by attentive parents?

lindsey July 16, 2010, 7:25 AM

It’s true that the people who cry out against pit bulls (which encompass more than one breed) are the ones who have never owned or even been around a pit bull breed. Banning pit bulls would mean banning several breeds, which would do absolutely no good because the ones who use and breed them for fighting will still find ways to accomplish their goal. There would still be maulings by those bred for that purpose and those dogs within the breeds who are so loving, loyal, smart and sensitive will no longer be around. It’s unfortunate the media likes to sensationalize these tragedies, but the fact is that the percentage of attacks by pit bulls is so minuscule compared to the number of these dogs in the country that it is ridiculous to consider the breeds as a whole being vicious.

Just recently a 5 yr old girl in my home town was raped and killed by a 16 yr old boy. Instead of focusing your anger on a breed of dog, why not focus it on humans who have a choice to do right or wrong, parents who have a choice to protect their kids or not? Dogs don’t have a choice. They react to how they have been bred, raised and treated. Humans have a choice. Blame them, not the dogs.

kelsey July 17, 2010, 11:59 AM

pit bulls were bred to kill!,so it isnt there fault if yorkies were bred to be fighting dogs then you would have them killing people too so yes it is the humans fault if we start treating them right then eventually we’ll have them back to there calm nature like scientists say!!

PitOwner July 17, 2010, 1:31 PM

@HMM -
Well thought-out comment.
Actually made more sense than the article itself.

Anonymous July 21, 2010, 6:45 PM

lady sometimes bad things happen..
poodle’s have visciously killed an malled children. bottom line if your kids were as well trained as my dogs well lets face it that’ll never happen..bla bla blaa whatever your responsible for u n yours so deal with it if your scared then make sure you instill that same fear into your kids at the very least.. luck in life