Another Pit Bull Attacks!

Guest blooger Angela: It seems like every week there's another story of a pit bull killing or mauling someone -- and it's usually a kid. Recently, I read about one pit eating off a baby's testicles, and another gnawing off a child's toes. I mean, can you imagine? Domesticated dogs aren't supposed to do this! Well, the list of pit bull-caused injuries has grown again -- and this time, it has hit closer to home.

Pitbull barks

My daughter's friend, Sam, 8, was just viciously attacked by her friend's pit bull. Apparently she was just standing there when this dog suddenly grabbed her, dragged her into the backyard, shook her like a rag doll and fractured her femur. Sam is a slight little girl, too -- teeny for her age. I'm sure the dog weighed more than she does. Honestly, I don't know how she made it out alive. If you could see her, you wouldn't think she'd be able to survive the wind blowing her down.

Anyway, she was taken to the hospital, but no charges were filed against the dog's owners because the two families are good friends. The animal is still there in the house, too. Unbelieveable. If that were my dog, I'd have had it put down immediately, no questions asked. And if it were my kid who'd been hurt, I'd demand it. If you own a pit bull, it's not a question of if it's going to attack, but of when. There are just too many cases to assume otherwise. (Go ahead and Google "pit bull attacks on children" and see how many hits you get.)

I already know what kind of comments this post will get: "It's not the dog, it's the owner"; "Not ALL pit bulls are bad"; "Any dog can attack a child ...." Blah, blah, blah, whatever. I don't recall the last time a LABRADOODLE ate off a baby's testicles, broke an 8-year-old girl's leg or killed someone. Get real! Pit-bull owners are fools if they think their dogs don't have it in them to kill. Even if you think yours is the most gentle and sweetest of pooches, you still cannot ignore the fact that these dogs are bred to be aggressive. It's in their nature to attack.

How many people have to get harmed (or killed) before it's illegal for these dogs to be around children?

next: Mel Gibson: A Racist, Misogynist and Anti-Semite!
PitHter July 23, 2010, 4:41 AM

Well I have owned one, so can talk from experience. They should be banned, determining who the so called bad owners are is impossible, Pitbulls can and do kill. A person who will defend a dog over a child is that bad owner we keep hearing about. Anyone who would claim such should be banned with the dog. People are stupid anymore, if it saved one child’s life they should be banned.

sam July 23, 2010, 12:23 PM

None of these pit lovers can justify what these pits have done to humans, and how many times. Yeah there are other breeds of dogs that attack sometimes, and yeah they don’t get as much press, but you really wanna know why you ignorant pit lovers? Because it doesn’t happen nearly as frequently as it does with pits, and because it’s not just that they attack, they kill. Screw the people with pits that say “oh they’re so loyal,” i say screw those people because yea, they are loyal to you as the owner, but Not to little children, other dogs, or the elderly. I can’t even go on with this post cause there’s too much to say, but the last thing i’ll say is that i know good pits, da** loyal pits that would do anything for their owner, including kill. And i was with one of the nicest pit’s i ever met, he was laying on my lap, i showed one ounce of fear, and that pit was growling and in my face ready to attack faster than i could ask the owner for help. The owner was a dog handler, a professional trainer, and even he says “Pit’s are great dogs, but every single one has the willingness to kill, and the ability.”

Pleaidian July 26, 2010, 8:36 AM

This is why pit bulls are so dangerous. Their owners are delusional. I have a German Shepherd, she appears to be a very gentle sweet dog towards people, but I would never do or say the crazy things some pit owners do. I never leave my child alone with the dog, and I never tell anyone she’s harmless. She’s not she’s a large powerful animal that could do damage if something sets them off. Don’t tell people your Pit Bull might “like someone to death”, I’ve never heard of that happening. What I have heard of is seeming loving pit bulls snap when given a chance. Get a clue, your animals are dangerous, act responsibly and we wouldn’t have these problems.

viva July 30, 2010, 8:37 PM

How many people will write ill-informed, highly biased articles before it’s ILLEGAL for IDIOTS to own a computer? I think it’s high time we take action against these people.

dawn August 1, 2010, 1:48 AM

ALL I CAN SAY IS I HAVE A PIT AN A AM BULLDOG IF SOMEONE TRIED TO TAKE THEM AWAY I WOULD FIGHT TO THE DEATH TO KEEP THEM IT IS MY CHOICE TO HAVE WHATEVER BREED OF DOG I WANT SO F=== OFF.

John C August 1, 2010, 9:03 PM

People should research the real reasons dogs attack instead of blaming breeds. 30,000 people a year have some form of surgery to treat dog bites. The press focuses on 75 attacks a year that are caused by Bull Terrier-type breeds.

Almost every dog attack is the result of dogs that are tethered 24/7, dogs that were tethered before they broke loose, or roaming packs, and its true for every breed.

Krystal August 25, 2010, 11:27 AM

You can not blame the breed of dog for attacks, where were the parents and why were they not watching their kids, It is the lowlife ganagbangers who train these dogs to fight and kill! So now because of these morons the whole breed gets a bad name, and do they ever mention the fact that these dogs dont just attack because they have a wild hair up their butt, they attack when they are being provoked, and if a DOG(notice no particular breed) is never handled by humans and left to a crate or tied up in a yard their natural instinct is to be aggressive to humans. The media just targets pitbulls.

vic September 4, 2010, 4:04 PM

People are becoming sick of these pitbull attacks—and can you blame them?? Pitbulls are way overbred by people who shouldn’t even own them let alone breed them!! In the past 2 weeks have seen one owner with his pitbull offleash walking 20 yards ahead of him down the sidewalk in front of the middle school. Grinning ear to ear, very pleased with himself, forcing his breed on everyone else. He would have absolutely no control over that dog if it attacked another dog or a person. What a douche bag!! A week earlier I saw a pitbull being tied to a bike rack outside of the grocery store while its owner went inside. Any person coming out of the store could have ran right into it. Or it could’ve slipped the collar, broken the leash, dragged the bike rack around, etc. Almost called the cops on these idiots—wish I would have!! These owners are on an ego trip—they like to “bully” other people and feel tough and superior. It’s like a loaded gun or a big stick, only disguised in a dog’s body. Why else would anyone own a breed that for a hundred years now has been bred to maim, gut alive, kill, or tear apart another living breathing dog?? Stop and THINK about it for one second—how can you own something that was bred to do this, yet say that you “love” dogs? These two concepts are at polar opposites of each other!! You either love dogs, or you own/support a breed whose sole purpose is to tear dogs apart alive—you can’t be on both sides of this fence. If pitbull owners do not want BSL, then extremely strict laws regarding who can breed them, who can own them, and how they are trained/housed/presented to the public would have to be written and enforced, with severe fines and jail time for any illegal ownership, illegal breeding, and dog fighting operations. And any dog who maimed/killed would have to be put down—no exceptions.

pittylove September 13, 2010, 7:04 PM

dalaipit is right with everything that was said. ive owned 4 dogs all four pits, not a one of them was mean. my 70 lb pit now is better with kids than adults, while no i wont leave a small child with him ALONE i know he wont harm the kid on purpose. pits pass the temperament test with better sores than all your “family” dogs… if you wont judge a book by the cover dont judge a dog by its breed!

Golf September 14, 2010, 10:40 AM

What’s the difference between a car and a golf ball? Tiger can drive a ball 400 yards.

Robin September 17, 2010, 4:48 PM

All you pitbull lovers conveniently ignore the fact that in every study that’s ever been conducted on dog-bite-related fatalities a majority of the deaths have been caused by pitbull-type dogs. These doge are simply more likely to kill than any other type of dog when they bite someone. And, yes, they are inherently viscious. They were originally bred to fight bull and bears in pits! (and don’t get caught up in APBT versus another “pitbull type”).

I also agree with you, however, that there are plenty of other medium and large sized dogs that inflict serious harm on children. IMO it is just plain stupid for any parent to have any type of dog around their young children, but especially a dog that weighs over—say—20 pounds. You are right, nearly any dog can seriously injure a small child.

Bottom line is that people need to put other people before dogs, but especially parents should put their vulnerable children’s safety above some neurotic devotion to a pet that “would never do anything bad.”

Mandy September 17, 2010, 5:15 PM

@Vic and Angela (poster). Here in CA we actually have a statewide law that prohibits localities from enacting dog laws based on breed. Apparently, animals can’t be discriminated against by type, even though certain types *are* more likely to kill than others! What a crock! People are more important that dogs for God’s sake. I mean, for comparison, I have a constitutionally protected right to bear arms (guns) but there are still certain types of guns I can’t own. Why should it be any different with dogs when they too can inflict death and/or serious bodily harm?

Golf Clubs September 21, 2010, 12:43 AM

In corresponding announcement, the Wayans brothers wish to cast Tiger woods in their subsequent film but they cannot determine if the title really should be White Chicks eleven or 12 ?

Pitbull Princess September 24, 2010, 1:09 PM

I dont like that the fact that the pitbull is the one that is being blamed for what happened if the pitbull were made to kill people then why didnt they get rid of the pit bull before a lot of people started getting real attached to the breed. If people think that they can just blame the whole breed for one dog, then people are just being mean. Like for example 4 years ago when i was 7 i got attacked by a dalmation and was saved by a pitbull, there was no bloody fight though, was it a mirlice that a pitbull did that? i dont know, was i sad when the dalmation attacked me yes, did i or do i hate him no, was i mad at him at the time yes, was i greatfull to my pitbull yes, do i love them the same till today yes, was i sad when my parents wanted to put down both of the dogs, of course, I dont blame the breed or kanne(dalmation) not even chomper (pitbull) to tell you the truth my mommy told me not to go outside and i do regret it yeah but the scars dont show as much.

Fashion Merchandising October 1, 2010, 4:50 AM

Hello from the fashion market, I truly value the work you’ve done in this report, it was a excellent read. I’ve usually been in really like with fashion all my life so I’ve developed a forum for market pros to come together and discuss all things fashion. You gave me some fantastic tips for my own web site.

Tom McCan October 7, 2010, 9:56 PM

I do not understand why people want these dogs.here is a good informational site about how to avoid pitbull attacks

pitbullattacks.net

Randi October 26, 2010, 5:06 PM

It’s incredibly insulting for you high and mighty, judgmental, ignorant people to assume that all pit bull terriers are evil killers. Honestly, it’s just stupid. People on here are looking up the statistics that they WANT to see, not the truth. The truth about the american pit bull terrier is that they are loyal, loving, very affectionate, and very smart dogs. They aren’t born evil puppies. They can be made to be mean, just like ANY dog. And most of the “pit bulls” that bite, aren’t even pit bulls!!!! They are often time mutts who resemble pit bulls, and again, stupid people just call them pit bulls. I get so tired of hearing all these people bad mouth a dog breed that is so sweet. I think it’s interesting how there is a picture of a snarling pit bull on here, but there are so many more pictures of their pretty smiling faces. Why don’t you pit bull haters watch The Dog Whisperer. Maybe Caesar Milan can teach you a thing or two. And you might be surprised to see that most of his cases with mean dogs that attack are many other breeds besides pit bulls. Seriously watch the Dog Whisperer and try really hard to educate yourselves.

Randi October 26, 2010, 5:11 PM

Hey Tom McCan how about YOU check out THIS website!! There are two sides to every story…the truth and a fabrication. You choose the fabrication. But here is some information for you and there are SO MANY MORE LIKE THIS!

Enjoy :)

Randi October 26, 2010, 5:23 PM

Robin you are stupid. “Pit bull type” dogs…so basically you are saying what?? That since they kind of LOOK like a pit bull, then that is what they are? And HOW DARE YOU imply that because a person likes pit bulls or may own one that they would put their child in harms way??? They are NOT BORN TO FIGHT!!! This is what I’m talking about with the people and the ignorance. Sitting up on your high horse. Anyways, Caesar Milan is an actual EXPERT, not just some ding dong sitting at a computer. Watch the show…it’ll make you feel like a moron :)