Babies Thrown into Water Save Themselves!

Water-survival safety is important, but how young is too young to start your child in swim school? Should kids swim before they can speak?! Watch this amazing video of a baby falling into the water and saving himself by back-floating. It's hard to watch, but has a happy ending (and a very handsome swimming instructor ...)!

So, when is the right time to start swimming lessons? We spoke with water-safety expert Lisa Cook to find out what's important for parents to know. Here's what she said:

• Babies can be taught to swim, but the commitment is huge and requires a lot of work.
  • For babies to learn a swim behavior, lessons must be repeated every day, over and over again.
  • If the routine is stopped, there is no guarantee that the baby will remember how to swim.
  • No baby can be deemed "water safe" -- water safety is a mindset and comes from maturity and knowing how to react in different water-related situations.
  • A child should start swim lessons when he or she shows interest.
  • Don't assume that any child is water safe before age 8, no matter the number of classes taken.

For more information about Lisa Cook and her water-safety methods, visit KidSwim.

next: Swimming Pool ... or Cesspool?
DaDa Rocks! July 20, 2010, 2:20 PM

Ok the video is super hard to watch and really really wrong - I’m ok with dressing your kid up as lady gaga and dance around but this kid could have been hurt!!!

Jessica July 20, 2010, 3:45 PM

I have a cousin that lives in California, and both of her toddler-aged boys have taken these classes. If they were to get out of the yard, and fall into a neighboring pool they would be able to kick to the surface, and float on their back. I think its a great idea, this video could have been harder to watch if the baby hadn’t known how to get to the surface!

Kristen July 20, 2010, 4:46 PM

I’ve checked these classes out in my local town and they are expensive….$700 expensive. On top of that the kids are miserable, I mean truly miserable, screaming, crying, fighting to get away. I would never put my child through that.

Kelly July 21, 2010, 1:34 PM

It’s hard to watch because it’s terrible. I cannot believe they would put a baby through this for a video, leaving him in the water crying for over 5 minutes, are you kidding me! What kind of trauma do those babies have to go through to learn how to do that, thinking they have to fight to live every day until they learn how not to drowned??

M.A.P July 22, 2010, 1:30 AM

I think that these classes are totally worth it. Yeah it is a little harsh maybe, and it might be a little frightening at first but you know what, I would rather my child go through this and be able to save themselves then have to bury a child. And for any mother to say no way to this must be out of their mind, seriously. Your child not worth saving? I know mine sure is.

Mo August 2, 2010, 1:26 PM

Wow, that video was very scary….but what is scarier….my child drowning because he/she is unable to save themselves. I will look into these classes in my area and will try to promote this type of safety. An alive scared child is better than a deceased child.

Me September 13, 2010, 11:43 AM

Or you could just not be an a*hole and have your kid go to regular swim class.

Ten Tees January 8, 2011, 9:33 PM

Interesting post! Nice and fun reading. I’ve just got a thing to offer about funny t-shirts.

tabletki na pryszcze April 3, 2011, 7:35 AM

Very interesting info, i’m waiting for more !!! Keep updating your website and you will have a lot o readers