No Joke: Mom Brings 4-Year-Old to Hot Yoga Class

When I attend Bikram yoga (a.k.a. "hot yoga") class, my body goes into survival mode. Twenty-six postures in a 104-degree room for 90 minutes is an intense -- make thatextreme-- workout. So you can imagine my shock this weekend when a mommy yogi brought her 4-year-old into the studio. Really?!Was this a good idea?

hotyoga-bikram.jpg

Hot-yoga creator Bikram Choudhury calls these 104-degree studios "torture chambers" for a reason. It's the kind of workout where, during the practice, instructors repeatedly say that it's natural to feel nauseous, dizzy and even (depending on the amount of sleep you've had and the crap you've put into your body) black out. I say this only to set the scene, not to scare anyone who hasn't tried it: It's an amazing workout, and I am 100 percent addicted! No matter your physical health, Bikram yoga is a mental workout, too, and it requires extreme focus and meditation to reap the benefits. None of these characteristics do I normally associate with children -- especially 4-year-old children.

So when a mom brought her 4-year-old into my hot-yoga class this weekend, I was quite taken aback. I noticed that some of my fellow students looked questioningly at each other, but the instructor welcomed the child. At the beginning of the class, this little yogi was trying each of the moves, naturally having trouble holding any pose. By 15 minutes into the class, the poor thing was playing with her water bottle, spraying herself and rolling around on her towel.

I am in my mid-30s, and I can barely stay focused for the hour and a half. So I totally understood how this little one was bored out of her mind. As the class continued, she got up and down and tried more moves. Of course her mom kept trying to correct her, but the instructor insisted that she let her daughter learn on her own. Meanwhile, I was hot as hell and wondering, Is this healthy for the child?

So of course, back at work, I just had to get an expert opinion. Pediatrician and momlogic expert Dr. Alanna Levine said the following:

"I do not recommend that young children participate in Bikram yoga. Children handle high temperatures differently than adults. They have a higher surface-area-to-mass ratio, which means they absorb heat more than adults do. They also have a smaller blood volume, which makes it harder for them to dissipate the heat. Lastly, they have a slower rate of sweat production than adults, and sweating is a mechanism to cool us off. Children are not 'mini adults' -- and should not be treated as such."

I thought it was only fair to call up the Bikram Yoga College of India and talk to someone there. Jessica, 32, has been a Bikram instructor since 2008. Here's how our chat went:

ml: Does Bikram have a minimum age requirement?

Jessica: There are no strict rules, as long as the child is quiet and well-behaved. There's a youth category for the annual Bikram competition. Bikram, the founder, has three children, and they all started doing "hot yoga" at a very early age.

ml: How old was your youngest student ever?

J: I haven't have any younger than 9 or 10.Sometimes younger students wait outside during the standing series and come in for the floor series.

ml: How would you respond to our doctor's claims that Bikram is unhealthy for kids?

J: With any physical practice, you should have a doctor's recommendation. A decision to do Bikram should be taken person by person. It's case by case.

What do you think? Do kids as young as 4 belong in a hot-yoga class? Have you ever brought your child to yoga? What types of yoga are acceptable?

next: Dina Lohan Should Send Judge Marsha Revel a Thank-You Note!
india insurance December 17, 2010, 1:12 PM

My boy friend recomended me this post thanks!

diete forum December 27, 2010, 5:56 AM

I have beeing after the google for this information and i wanted to thank u for this post. BTW, just off topic, where can i download a copy of this theme? – Thanks

phen375 review January 6, 2011, 4:21 PM

Females in general usually are not looking to shed enormous numbers of weight for the most part. The majority of the men and women using phen375 are only looking to drop 5 to 25 pounds on average and usually its abdominal fat. The majority are wholesome, navigate to the gym kind people. They simply have not been capable of shed the fat on their tummy or have reached any Plato. Stomach fat problems typically start to take place for ladies around the time associated with or even after child birth as well as afterwards inside grow older before menopause. It appears going to females whilst there hormonal changes are changing; it’s a standard means of existence or is that? My goal is to show you that the real body fat kept in the actual stomach or even stomach location differs as well as the more you have of it the whores your junk imbalance can be.

Stuart Weinzierl February 15, 2011, 6:15 PM

I just want to tell you that I’m newbie to blogging and absolutely savored this page. Likely I’m going to bookmark your site . You really come with amazing article content. Thanks a lot for sharing with us your web page.

black hair color pics February 17, 2011, 9:38 AM

There are only two ways of telling the complete truth—anonymously and posthumously.

pet monkeys for sale in 33573 February 21, 2011, 12:08 AM

The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Let us move forward with strong and active faith.

varicella titer February 25, 2011, 5:35 PM

Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thanks Nevertheless I’m experiencing concern with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting an identical rss drawback? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

ear hearing loss February 27, 2011, 2:22 AM

Good info and straight to the point. I am not sure if this is actually the best place to ask but do you folks have any ideea where to hire some professional writers? Thx :)

3 peaks challenge March 7, 2011, 4:01 PM

A really good set of info which I will be certainly coming back to read again. Thanks very much to all those who contribute.

Toshiko Capen March 17, 2011, 6:34 AM

This weblog seems to recieve a great deal of visitors. How do you get traffic to it? It gives a nice unique spin on things. I guess having something real or substantial to post about is the most important factor.

scrapebox rapid indexer March 29, 2011, 12:27 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

dofollowdiver March 29, 2011, 2:02 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Virgilio Beichner March 29, 2011, 6:31 PM

I carry on listening to the news broadcast speak about receiving boundless online grant applications so I have been looking around for the top site to get one. Could you tell me please, where could i find some?

All American Employee Awards March 30, 2011, 7:14 PM

Your place is valueble for me. Thanks!…

Robyn P. Spivey March 31, 2011, 4:20 AM

Useful

tabletki na pryszcze April 3, 2011, 7:35 AM

I’m glad, that i found your website, there are a couple of interesting posts

louis vuitton Handbags May 7, 2011, 12:02 PM

I undoubtedly did not know that. Learnt some thing new today! Thanks for that.