College Orientation ... for Helicopter Parents

The AP reports that colleges around the country are holding two- and three-day orientations for families of incoming freshmen -- giving workshops, tours and speeches on subjects like letting go and campus safety.

parents at school orientation

Some colleges even suggest that parents pick up a book or two on their freshman's required reading list to help them relate.

Northern Michigan University plays phone calls for parents similar to ones they might one day receive: a girl telling her parents she'll be spending Thanksgiving with her new boyfriend; a boy confessing he's not doing well in school; a girl saying she's homesick and lonely.

At Northeastern University in Boston, "at least 85 percent if not 90 percent of students have parents that also attend our programs," says spokeswoman Katherine Cadwell.

Indiana State University at Terre Haute spokesman John Beacon says, "We recognize there are lots of helicopter parents. Rather than try to limit their involvement, we embrace it."

Do you think college orientation for parents is a good idea ... or is it going too far?

next: Three Ways to Help Young People Stress Less
Queen Mother July 7, 2010, 5:01 PM

Not so fair. I thought I am suppose to show up for these darn activities. I would love to avoid Orientation Parents and just hang out in Boston for four days at the theatre!!!!

RustyShackleford July 19, 2010, 3:27 PM

Parents need to let go.

I’ve heard stories about helicopter parents calling their kids’ professors, demanding that they get a better grade. Even employers have started to deal with the problem of parents of their younger employers trying to intervene. I think this has gotten out of hand.

RustyShackleford July 19, 2010, 3:28 PM

Parents need to let go.

You can’t protect your kids from the world forever. And if you try, you’ll just end up with an adult totally unprepared to deal with real life. Sadly, “helicopter parents” may be gradually becoming the legal standard: http://lawblog.legalmatch.com/2010/07/19/are-helicopter-parents-becoming-the-child-custody-standard/

Berenice October 12, 2010, 10:57 AM

I believe it is a good idea but it has to be implemented carefully. For parents that are in their first experience of letting sons and daughters go it is a good thing. like Kamagra Gel was a really clever idea.

Blackjack December 29, 2010, 10:17 AM

Your SEO blog is brilliant I will have to read it all, thank you for the diversion from my coursework!

Panama Hotel January 2, 2011, 10:42 AM

Kudos from one brain to another. :)

Panama Promociones January 2, 2011, 9:25 PM

Your SEO blog is top-notch I will have to read it all, thank you for the diversion from my coursework!

Donn Uptegrove January 3, 2011, 1:43 AM

Thank you for the absorbing read! Happy New Year and keep up the great work in 2011!

Holli Ryzinski January 6, 2011, 8:18 AM

Thank you for the entertaining read! Happy New Year, and keep up the good work in 2011!

Baby January 9, 2011, 11:50 PM

I usually don’t ordinarily post on many Blogs, yet I just has to say thank you for College Orientation … for Helicopter Parents | momlogic.com… keep up the amazing work. Ok unfortunately its time to get to school.

casa gala panamá January 14, 2011, 4:45 PM

You can depend me in for a Digg. Thank you for posting this on your website!

Dietas Saludables January 16, 2011, 1:44 AM

I really must say thank you for giving me something to escape homework. Well, back to work for me. I really have to say thanks!

Dietassaludables January 16, 2011, 8:05 AM

There is apparently a great deal for me to ascertain outside of my classwork. Thank you very much for the extraordinaire read.

alquiler de autos January 17, 2011, 9:23 PM

I love just taking a break from homework and stopping by your website. I just wish you posted more frequently. I really have to say thank you

alquiler de autos en miami January 19, 2011, 9:14 PM

I really have to say thanks for the pleasant read! Okay break time is over and back to my school work.

Panama Hotels January 25, 2011, 10:15 AM

It is nice to definitely find a site where the blogger is keen. Thanks for creating your website.

Hotel Le Meridien Panama January 27, 2011, 2:24 PM

Thought I would escape a bit from homework to tell you how much I enjoy stopping by your site. It is one of my few pleasures. Thank you

Hotel El Panama January 29, 2011, 9:48 AM

Thanks for the enlightening read! Ok playtime is over and back to my projects.

Hotel El Panama January 29, 2011, 5:19 PM

Kudos from one nerd to another. :)

Hotel El Panama January 29, 2011, 9:44 PM

Neat post - and good domain by the way!