Domestic Violence Victims: How to Get Help

The Mel Gibson tapes are a harsh reminder of the fact that women are abused every day by the men who claim to love them most.

Mel_Gibson Oksana Grigorieva

Judge Jeanine Pirro, of the syndicated television show "Judge Pirro," tells momlogic: "Based upon what we know so far, there is sufficient evidence to go forward with criminal charges. There's a victim, evidence of injury, immediate outcry to friends and corroboration from Mel Gibson himself. Now the D.A. will decide if he wants to go forward with charges. Gibson could be charged with child endangerment (for hitting ex-girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva while she was holding the baby) or felony domestic violence. Gibson has shown himself to be anti-Semitic, misogynistic, racist and homophobic. The reality is that it appears he has committed several crimes for which he can be charged and sent to jail."

Judge Pirro says that a woman who finds herself in a situation where she is being physically, emotionally or verbally abused should call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 immediately. "Their lines are open 24/7, they operate in 170 languages through interpreter services and they can refer you to local resources in your community and help you develop a safety plan and an exit plan," she says. "Every call is anonymous and confidential."

Judge Pirro is an active member of the National Domestic Violence Hotline Celebrity Board, along with Salma Hayek and Martina McBride. "I was recently in Austin, Texas, at the NDVH headquarters," Judge Pirro says. "I started the first domestic violence unit in the nation thirty years ago, and let me tell you: The people at this hotline are experts. They're all about empowering women in violent relationships to extricate themselves from these dangerous situations. They offer lifesaving intervention and support, and they're an amazing group of people."

But what if women in domestic violence situations are too scared to leave? "Women have to recognize that it's scarier to NOT leave," Judge Pirro says. "Leaving is a very dangerous time -- men often become infuriated because their 'property,' as they see it, is leaving. But I've prosecuted many domestic violence homicide cases -- and staying is much more dangerous. The violence escalates, and the woman is so battered that she believes she is worthless. Women need to make that one phone call. An expert can help her come up with a real exit strategy and open doors that she couldn't open on her own."

According to Judge Pirro, victims must recognize that the last beating is not the last beating -- there's an increase in intensity as time goes on. "If he hits you once, he'll hit you again -- and the next time will be worse than the last time," Judge Pirro warns. "The most important thing to do is reach out for help."

Judge Pirro says that there are many survivors like Oksana out there. "It's about recognizing that you're worthwile, you're valuable and that he's wrong," she says. "These men who hit women are cowards. It's about power and control -- what they want to do is completely control a woman. Mel Gibson is a classic batterer: On the tape, he said, 'You deserved it.' Assuming that it's his voice, this is a man who is not only admitting to the crime, but is also saying that Oksana is responsible for her own victimization. He is the lowest of the low, and he belongs in jail. If what we are hearing is true, this man is an out-of-control menace to society, and he is a danger."

You can reach the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233.

next: Mom-to-Be Courtney Mazza: Will Dog Adjust to New Baby?
AliorBank March 31, 2011, 3:03 PM

Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.

roofing doylestown April 1, 2011, 3:23 AM

Hi everyone, upgraded myself to this sleek Samsung Galaxy S i9000, after lots of research, it was a tough decision as all the similar latest models had almost similar features, the fast speed 1GB hummingbird processor, good battery life, excellent GPS features & really amazingly clear screen made me decide to select this model over others. Since almost over five weeks of usage no call drops, no cellphone hangs or freezes, no sync problems, has given me true satisfaction of my wise decision to pick this phone. Wi-Fi & blue tooth usage has considerably very much less battery drain compared to its competitors (no names please). Video calling is charm on this cellphone cos of 1GB processor. Radio usage reception is excellent almost always. With 32GB memory, watched AVATAR in HD on my i9000 and at end of it I used 50% battery not bad eh! Amazing masterpiece created by Samsung Galaxy S team. Overall performance is excellent for my usage. My advice buy the model which suits your usage habits, this model for sure is way ahead of others per my personal research, usage & satisfaction.

medyum April 1, 2011, 9:36 AM

Can i use rss feed of your website?

Kredyt na wakacje April 1, 2011, 3:10 PM

I am often to blogging and i actually respect your content. The article has really peaks my interest. I’m going to bookmark your website and preserve checking for brand new information.

Socorro Languirand April 2, 2011, 2:53 AM

I don;t know how you find the time to write so well but here is a little something
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me alone. :)

wholesale Kings jerseys April 4, 2011, 11:12 AM

There are some inviting points in mores therein article but I don’t be familiar with if I take in all of them ticker to heart .

wiring harness April 4, 2011, 9:36 PM

Grand poteau ! Merci pour prendre le temps d’écrire quelque chose qui est réellement en valeur la lecture. Trop souvent je trouve l’information inutile et pas quelque chose qui sont réellement appropriées. Merci pour votre dur labeur.

Jessi Luevand April 5, 2011, 7:17 AM

Hey! This post could not be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this page to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

Immigration to America April 5, 2011, 9:38 AM

Hey mate, greetz from Canada !

Andria Kewal April 7, 2011, 4:27 AM

I’d need to examine with you here. Which isn’t something I usually do! I enjoy studying a put up that may make individuals think. Additionally, thanks for allowing me to comment!

operation load April 8, 2011, 6:31 AM

I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the page layout of your site? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or 2 pictures. Maybe you could space it out better?

gun case April 8, 2011, 7:00 AM

Hello! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I truly enjoy reading through your articles. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that go over the same subjects? Thanks for your time!

bose April 8, 2011, 7:24 AM

Hey! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Nonetheless, I’m definitely delighted I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back frequently!

cheap dresser April 8, 2011, 12:17 PM

Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your article seem to be running off the screen in Internet explorer. I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with web browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you know. The design and style look great though! Hope you get the issue fixed soon. Kudos

Ikea leather desk chair April 8, 2011, 1:44 PM

I’m truly enjoying the design and layout of your website. It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a developer to create your theme? Outstanding work!

baby videos April 8, 2011, 2:23 PM

Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren’t loading properly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same results.

South Carolina Beach Rentals April 8, 2011, 2:40 PM

Hey, I just hopped over to your site via StumbleUpon. Not somthing I would normally read, but I liked your thoughts none the less. Thanks for making something worth reading.

fast weight loss 11 days April 9, 2011, 2:08 AM

When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get several emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Bless you!

360342 April 9, 2011, 2:49 AM

What a lovely day for a 360342! SCK was here

Andre Rosencranz April 9, 2011, 1:21 PM

Awsome post and to the point. I not extremely apprehend if this is extremely the simplest place to ask however do you guys have any thoughts on where to employ many pro writers? Thank you!