Edward Cullen Is BAD Boyfriend Material

Christina Montoya Fiedler: Last week, momlogic brought you a piece entitled, "Why Bella Swan Is the Worst Role Model." It stirred up quite a debate about the lead character from the "Twilight" saga. When I read it, I thought, "Yes, Bella is bad -- but Edward is worse!"

Edward Cullen
I know that, once again, many Twihards and Twi-Moms will be crushed, and will debate (seemingly forever) whether or not it's fair to judge a fictional character. But given the fact that the average American tween is all but worshiping Edward (played by Robert Pattinson), it's the perfect time for parents to point out what does -- and, more importantly, doesn't -- make a good boyfriend.

Here are a few of those "don'ts," in no particular order [Warning: Spoiler Alert!]:

• Edward encourages Bella to keep secrets from her family. And in turn, he keeps secrets from her that ultimately put her in harm's way. How many times have we seen Bella tell her dad that she's going out with friends or going to visit her mom, but really she's out in some dangerous location with Edward? Bella can't tell her parents anything about her relationship. Secrecy is unhealthy.
  • Edward compels Bella to ditch her old friends. Bella becomes totally consumed with Edward. Let's be honest: It's an obsession. She has no interest in anything else but him, and with that, she loses her friends.
  • Bella and Edward are NEVER happy. Talk about an intense relationship! Not once do readers find Bella and Edward laughing, joking or doing the normal things two lovesick teenagers would do. Their time is spent looking into each other's eyes with the type of desperation that would make grown women swoon. I guess that's the appeal, but again -- not healthy!
  • Edward's temper is OUT OF CONTROL. He basically wants to kill anything that gets in the way of his relationship with Bella, including Jacob, her werewolf friend. We've seen what he can do when prompted: split boulders, rip trees up by the roots and single-handedly track down and destroy other vampires. I certainly wouldn't want to catch him on a bad day.
  • He buys Bella a bed, sending her mixed messages. OK, that is just weird. He doesn't want to have sex with her until they are married, but he buys her a bed so she can feel more comfortable when they spend their first night together (sans parents, by the way)? Then, when Bella all but throws herself at him, he turns her down. Talk about mixed messages and unnecessary pressure!
  • His family wants to eat her. This last one is kind of a joke, but it's true. The Cullens find Bella "irresistible," and let's face it: Nothing is worse than being "eaten alive" by your mother-in-law.
So, what's your verdict, moms? Is Edward a catch -- or something that should be thrown back?

next: The Best Ice Cream in the U.S.A.!
Ashley July 18, 2010, 7:53 AM

I want to start by saying that I LOVE the books and the movies are good too. However Bella and Edward are not good role models. I know they are fictional characters and should not be put in a position of being role models but the cult following these books have gained have made them so. All the points made in this article are completely accurate. Young girls should not aspire to date someone this dependent on them. One of the creepiest things I read in this book was when Bella found out that Edward had been sneaking into her room to watch her sleep for three months! She thought it was sweet. That is NOT sweet its scary. Again I want to say that I love the books and the story. I am however 25 and not an impressionable young girl. I think its every parents responsibility to talk to their child about why this is not a healthy normal relationship that they should aspire to have.

Pamala July 18, 2010, 12:05 PM

Yes he’s constantly watching her since she’s apparently too stupid to keep herself out of danger. He controls her as well. To me this is all typical vampire behavior but it’s not something women should strive to find in a man. I think that’s what people (teenagers) fail to see in these books, that Edward is a dangerous being, he is a vampire after all, and Bella’s obsession with him has nothing to do with love and everything to do with a vampires method of attracting prey.

Rita July 18, 2010, 2:29 PM

Ok. Why does momlogic always have to focus on fictional characters like Hannah Montana and the Twilight series? If YOUR child can’t differentiate between fantasy and reality, then YOU have the problem, NOT your child. It’s YOUR responsibility to teach them. Fortunately, my child is intelligent enough to know what’s healthy and what isn’t.

I’m a 30 yr old married mom of 2 and I absolutely LOVE the Twilight series. There’s so much that can be said for the books, aside from the books having lost time and plot holes, the story itself is wonderful and if you’ve EVER been intensely in love, you know how Bella feels. Period.

The books and movies don’t detail every single conversation Bella and Edward have. Just like the movies and books don’t talk about/show the human characters going to the bathroom, taking showers, going to school and class, we know they do.

He bought her a bed, he doesn’t own one because the Twilight vampires don’t sleep. He loves her, therefore he didn’t want her sleeping on a couch or the cold, hard floor. Why not buy the best bed money can buy if he can afford it? Wouldn’t you?

There weren’t any mixed messaged. BELLA misunderstood; Edward’s intentions all along were for Bella to have a comfortable night’s sleep. He wanted to wait until they were married before they even attempted anything. Do you know of any teen boy nowadays that will do that?

And, um, when she said she was visiting her mom, she and Edward really were visiting her mom in Florida. The point was to get her AWAY from the dangerous location for a couple of days until the danger passed.

He may have a temper, but he protects her and her family as much as possible, even bringing her into the heart of the fight just to keep her family and friends safe, knowing all along he had it under control, and the enemy was finally decimated.

Yes, I know this is all fiction. It really irks me when people just watch the movies and think they know everything about the whole series when they haven’t even attempted to read the books, books where the characters (human and mythical) don’t engage in any kind of drinking, drugs or premarital relations. Really, teens can (and are) reading way worse material, like the I.M. and Gossip Girl series.

Twilight is a story. Enjoy it. My 9 year old daughter has seen the movies because she wanted to, she hasn’t read the books yet but if she wants to when she gets older, I’ll let her, because I don’t think particular reading material should be banned.

Ashley July 18, 2010, 2:47 PM

Rita- I think when the writer said that she said she was visiting her mother but actually being in the middle of the danger was in the first book.

Jen July 18, 2010, 5:19 PM

Seriously, who cares? It’s a fictional book about teenage romance. If that’s my biggest problem as a parent when my daughter becomes a pre-teen, I will be one happy mother.

Rita July 18, 2010, 9:57 PM

Oops. Ashley, you’re right. My mistake! Lol. I was thinking about Eclipse when I wrote that.

Jen, I totally agree! Although if my daughter is as…erotically charged, as Bella is, then I might have to talk to her lol. But I remember having intense feelings when I was a teen. Its no picnic, that’s for sure!

God is with us, he’ll guide me! I have faith!

Trudi July 19, 2010, 2:17 AM

chritina, Get a grip,according to you all of are kids are to lock there self in there room untill there adult whats that saying aboutUS as parents,i will raise my kids i dont know what your going to do with yours.GOOD LUCK WITH THAT*****

Leah July 19, 2010, 7:49 AM

Dead on Ashley!! I’m a grown woman and while I enjoy the books (for the other characters, NOT bella or edward)but I wouldn’t let my teens read the book w/out a good talk about appropriate relationships, self-confidence, etc.

bbola September 3, 2010, 4:45 AM

The whole love triangle looks a little like Heathcliff , Cathy and Linton in Wuthering Heights. However, while Catherine in the book realizes that Heathcliff is a very dangerous person despite how much he loves her, Bella thinks the sun shines out of Edward. But she really is a very dumb character. I mean, jumping off a cliff so you can see a guy’s face? Facing a gang of dangerous bikers so you can hear his voice?! COME ON!!!!!

diazepam December 1, 2010, 2:49 PM

I’m interested in using some of your material for my blog. Please let me know if I can do so if I link back to this page.

Pictures Of Guinea Pigs Cages December 11, 2010, 1:31 AM

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Eugene Lillard December 29, 2010, 7:13 AM

Very well written post. It will be helpful to anybody who employess it, as well as yours truly :). Keep doing what you are doing - for sure i will check out more posts.

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 9:10 AM

Great post. Nice reading. I have a single thing to submit about funny t-shirts.

Kitchen Window Treatments January 15, 2011, 10:09 PM

Hello Way cool info, will have to try it. By the way, the link doesn’t work. Can you fix it please? Thanks again for sharing this online. I definitely enjoyed every part of it.

Lori January 27, 2011, 11:50 AM

Well said! My favorite part of this article was “Edward and Bella are NEVER happy” It’s true, they are both whiners and Bella is the WORST.

microsoft help January 28, 2011, 1:47 AM

Your website is cool!!

Monte Gause February 6, 2011, 7:25 AM

There is obviously a bunch to know about this. I believe you made various good points in features also.

Jon Szczygiel February 20, 2011, 6:29 PM

Very well written information. It will be helpful to everyone who employess it, including me. Keep up the good work - can’r wait to read more posts.

japanese online dating February 25, 2011, 3:54 PM

This really solved my problem, thank you!

Franklin Hronick February 26, 2011, 8:28 AM

Very nice publish, thank you so much for sharing. Do you happen to have an RSS feed I can subscribe to?