Experiment: Man Says 'Yes' to Wife for a Month

A.J. Jacobs agreed to do everything that his wife Julie wanted him to do for 30 days.

A.J. jokingly says his wife was "drunk with power." She had him pick all of the olives out of her salad at a restaurant, forced him to listen to her talk about her dreams in the morning and instituted a no-talking rule after 9:00 PM so she could get her rest.

A.J. says it was the "longest month of his life," but admits that it did improve his marriage, all in all.

If your husband said "yes" to everything you requested for a month, what would you ask him to do?

next: How to Recover from a Potty-Mouth Moment
anonymous July 13, 2010, 6:33 PM

His book about this is great.

anonymous mommy July 13, 2010, 8:35 PM

date with me with or without the kids…at least once that month. one day to ourselves with the kids occupied so we could just enjoy each others company. one family outing like to the library or somewhere different for a change of scenery. A letter? A game? Playful like it was when we first were dating, before kids. Hold my hand when we walk together. Tell me what you like just by looking at me. Flatter me genuinely. Wear what I want you to wear…something simple. Let’s feed each other fruit like we used to.

Asrai July 14, 2010, 1:02 AM

make him be the one completely responsible for, and perform, all the eleventy-million details necessary in running the household, kids & pets.

standards may not be changed or lowered, others may not be corralled or paid to assist, he may not lessen his out-of-the-home-job’s workload during that month, AND he must be ready, willing and able to properly romance me any time between the hours of 11pm and 6am whenever i request.

during the final week of that month, he must initiate proper romance.

lindsay  July 21, 2010, 1:05 PM

Unlike the rest of you I love and appreciate my husband that’s why I married him! I would never take advantage of him nor would he and we don’t need a stupid game to say yes to each other all the time we rarely say no to each other already because we know what each other want and we love each other this whole blog is stupid!

NedNoD July 25, 2010, 11:31 PM

The things I ask him to do now… and maybe something absurd thrown in here and there just for kicks… like answer the phone in a funny voice for a day. Oh, and clean up the cat barfs. I’ll get the poo sand.
But I’m assuming the next month would be me saying yes for a month… so I don’t want him disrespecting me because I disrespected him. (I will do stupid things though for laughs… I do that anyway.)

Lanette May 21, 2011, 5:50 AM

Glad I’ve fnilaly found something I agree with!

Rain May 22, 2011, 10:15 AM

That’s not just the best asenwr. It’s the bestest answer!