New Girl Scouts PSA: 'Beauty Has No Size'

The Girl Scouts have enlisted the help of plus-sized models to create a new PSA campaign designed to help change the way girls see themselves in the media and encourage them to love their bodies -- no matter the size.

In the new video series "The Changing Face of Fashion," four models from the Wilhelmina Curve modeling agency tell their personal stories, encouraging women by saying that it's not our sizes but "our differences that make us beautiful."

This campaign comes hot on the heels of a Girl Scout Research Institute survey which found that almost 90 percent of the 1,000 girls aged 13 to 17 polled thought the fashion industry and media placed too much emphasis on being skinny, and that 15 percent of girls have admitted to starving themselves to be thin.

Stylist via GirlScouts.org.

We salute the Girl Scouts for helping our girls understand that they're beautiful inside and out -- and empowering them to look beyond how magazines and other media present women.

Check out the video series at ItsYourStory.

next: Stepmom's Soccer Game Showdown
PlusSize July 28, 2010, 3:02 PM

They are NOT plus size IMO. Why not use real plus size women (size 20W & larger) for the ad?

Janice July 28, 2010, 7:55 PM

As a proud member of the obese community, I’m sick of these plus sized models. I’ve worked long and hard to reach the 700 pounds that I am today. That’s real beauty, not these puny size 12 anorexic divas.

Janice July 28, 2010, 7:57 PM

I also love the add for the weight loss program on the left side of the homepage. Way to perpetuate the skinny ideal of beauty momlogic.

Stephanie July 29, 2010, 5:59 AM

In addition to these PSAs and the great work of the Girl Scout Research Institute, Girl Scouts also supports the Healthy Media for Youth Act, HR 4925. The bill encourages healthier media images of girls and women for the benefit of all youth!

To learn more and support the Healthy Media for Youth Act, visit www.girlscouts4girls.org. Girl Scouts has drafted a letter of support that you can customize to send to your Member of Congress, urging her or him to cosponsor the bill.

Kaela July 30, 2010, 6:36 AM

I love how they call them “plus sized”… these are not plus sized women, they are normal sized, healthy women. I remember the old supermodles and those women were not sickly anorexic things, Cindy Crawford, Claudia Schiffer, Kathy Ireland, Niki Taylor… we need to go back to that.

Golf September 14, 2010, 10:40 AM

Really useful information. Im glad I found this post. Thanks for sharing

Fashion October 1, 2010, 4:50 AM

The current fashion climate could be a bit depressing, having said that this post helps us remember why we really like it. I’m presently earning a living using a brand new venture with the aim connect the fashion business in a single discussion board. I appreciate this web site and will probably be coming back once more.

Berenice October 12, 2010, 9:26 AM

About time that the fashion industry took part on changing the view we have of beauty, or at least help heavy kids know that been skinny is not the only way to be pretty.

Buy Kamagra

KLJ December 14, 2010, 7:27 PM

As a nation, obesity is one of our greatest weaknesses. It damages quality of life, shortens lifespan and contributes to the massive healthcare crisis we are currently experiencing. While strong self-esteem should be promoted among all women, young and otherwise, this campaign’s use of plus size models hinges on promoting obesity. Whether a woman is 5, 20 or 100 pounds overweight, there is nothing better for her self-esteem than losing that excess weight. I write from experience.

Nokomis February 27, 2011, 11:13 AM

Hmm, girl scouts came a long way from kicking me out for being a heavy kid because I was “anti social”.

Gee, maybe I was “anti social” because instead of making sure that the other girls included me in projects, they let the other girls make fun of me and ignore me.

Way to go girl scouts *rolls eyes* If I ever have girls, I will NOT allow them to join such a hateful organization.