Help! My Daughter Wants to Be in Pageants

Guest blogger Chloe:The other day, my 6-year-old daughter saw a commercial for "Toddlers & Tiaras" and said she wanted to be in beauty pageants. HELP!

toddlers and tiaras

There is no way I would ever want to subject my daughter to something like that. Watching those pageant moms turns my stomach. And there's something just creepy about seeing a 6-year-old in false eyelashes and pancake makeup.

Yet, my daughter is very girly and loves dressing up. I'm sure for her it would be a dream come true to be in a beauty pageant.

If your daughter really wanted to be in a pageant, would you let her do it once? Or am I right to just say no?

next: The Most Offensive Children's Toy EVER
Jennifer July 14, 2010, 1:03 PM

There are other types of pageants that aren’t freaky like the ones on TV. Check locally and do a search for natural pageants.

Sara July 14, 2010, 5:14 PM

Take her to dance class. She gets to wear costumes and look pretty like a princess on stage.

dmill July 15, 2010, 7:43 AM

My daughter wanted to do a pageant when she was 6. Luckily our county fair had a natural beauty pageant. Also, luckily, it was a disaster from the beginning because it was so poorly managed. They moved my daughter up to the 7-11 yr old group when we got there (I’m still not sure why) which meant she had a different question from the one we rehearsed. They forgot to add her name to the list of kids in that age group and therefore she wasn’t called until I pointed out she hadn’t gone. It is August in the south and no contingency plans were made for an evening rainstorm so all the kids had to crowd under one tent while the parents got soaked. To top it all off, the organizer’s daughter won her age group even though it clearly should have gone to another girl who did fantastic. That put my daughter off pageants for good! Thank goodness!
Now she’s 9 and does dance and participates in theater when she can and that satifies her need to perform.

Melissa July 18, 2010, 6:21 AM

Yes, let her do it! I think kids learn from experience. Don’t want them to have their heart ripped out and stomped on. It is normal for every little girl to dress up like a princess and look glam. Unfortunately pageants have gone OFF THE CHARTS with spray tans, diets, and false eyelashes.
I have a little girl and she just turned one. We live in Hong Kong - a friend of ours asked us to send her photo in for a commercial. Ok, cute. They replied - she is too exotic for the Asian market. Uhmm, excuse me, exotic? She is a baby. Babies are cute.
I think she is the most beautiful little girl on the planet but I am her mother and I am the only one that should think that!

Katie's Mom August 20, 2010, 10:38 AM

Go to you your local Salvation Army store and buy a bunch of glitzy/frilly/dramatic clothes (or get donations from relatives - everyone has bridesmaids or prom dresses sitting in their closets. Buy some cheap makeup from Walmart. Let her invite a bunch of friends over and play at being in a pageant/being princesses/being grown-ups. There’s no need to take it on the road. With a little bit of imagination and very little money you can give your daughter the opportunity to indulge her desire for the glittery and the girly AND enter into dramatic and imaginative play.
You also get the opportunity to take lots of photos that you can use for blackmail purposes as she gets older 8^) (Just joking, but I have a bunch of “how not to dress” pictures from when my girls were small and loved their “dress-up box.”)
If she really wants the opportunity to perform, then I agree with the person who suggested dance classes and theater/drama groups. These activities require skills and also teach about team work rather than focusing on approving unreal, oversexualized, and stereotypical images of women.

donwload full movie September 11, 2010, 7:48 PM

Hi there, I discovered this blog once, then lost it. Took me forever to arrive back and find it. I wanted to view what comments you got. Great blog by the way.

valium December 1, 2010, 2:47 PM

What did you do, just say whatever it is you wanted to make people mad?! You cant just say something like that and not give any backup for it! Youve got to at least give me a reason to think that you know what youre talking about, otherwise, you just sound like some kid with a grudge!

Installing Chair Rail Molding In Bathroom December 11, 2010, 9:02 AM

Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

Soothing Paint Colors For Bedrooms December 12, 2010, 1:23 AM

No one who cannot rejoice in the discovery of his own mistakes deserves to be called a scholar.

slabire forum December 27, 2010, 2:25 AM

I was been searching the WWW for such information and just wanted to say thanks to u for this post. By the way, just off topic, where can i download a copy of this theme? – Thanks

dieta daneza December 27, 2010, 6:48 AM

I have beeing searching the google for this info and i wanted to thank u for this post. By the way, just off topic, where can i find a version of this theme? – Regards

gry erotyczne December 28, 2010, 11:13 PM

This is something I have never seen before is always welcome! Thx man.

dieta personalizata January 2, 2011, 1:07 AM

I was been trying to find the google for this information and i wanted to say thanks to you for the post. Also, just off topic, how can i download a copy of this theme? – 10x

dieta anului 2010 January 2, 2011, 11:03 PM

I was beeing after the google for such information and i wanted to thank u for this post. By the way, just off topic, where can i download a copy of this theme? – Thanks

de slabit January 3, 2011, 8:07 PM

I was been looking the Web for this information and i wanted to say thanks to u for this post. Also, just off topic, where can i find a copy of this theme? – 10x

de slabit January 11, 2011, 9:07 AM

I have been scouring the WWW for such information and i wanted to say thanks to u for the post. Also, just off topic, where can i find a copy of this theme? – Thanks

Jailbreak iPhone 4 January 12, 2011, 8:16 AM

Good site, thanks. I really love it.

Wooden Window Blinds January 13, 2011, 7:26 PM

Hey, I have been comeing here to your webblog for months now and I always find a gem in your articles. Thanks for sharing. Thank You For This Post, added it to my favorites. Thanks again for sharing this up. I unquestionably loved every bit of it.

Hostel Bridge January 14, 2011, 12:51 AM

Very good written information. It will be supportive to everyone who utilizes it, including me. Keep up the good work - looking forward to more posts.

red auburn hair color January 15, 2011, 1:14 AM

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.