If Divorce Is Contagious ... Are Other Issues, Too?

Hayley Krischer: Set up the quarantines! New research says that a friend's divorce increases your own chances of splitting up by a whopping 147 percent. The reason? Apparently, people's feelings about their spouses rub off on each other within social groups. According to James Fowler, a social scientist who has conducted numerous studies on the topic, divorce can therefore be deemed a "social contagion."

Divorce
For the record, I don't remember anyone else getting divorced before my split with my ex-husband four years ago. But according to Fowler, divorce's contagiousness is powerful. "Your friend's friend can affect you as well," he said in an interview on ABC News. "It's almost like a set of dominoes." A friend of a friend is 33 percent more likely to get a divorce just because you're getting one.

If divorce is so contagious, are other issues contagious as well? The answer is yes. We're familiar with this concept to some extent -- "birds of a feather"; "copycat" -- but clearly we haven't recognized the pervasive degree to which humans influence each other.

According to Fowler and Nicholas Christakis, coauthors of "Connected," the list of social contagions is long. Here's how likely you are to "catch" these, for example: weight gain, 57 percent; loneliness, 52 percent; smoking, 36 percent; happiness, 9 percent; negativity, 7 percent.

If negativity is contagious, does that mean that a negative article can act as a social contagion? Case in point: In light of the recent New York Magazine cover story "I Love My Kids. I Hate My Life," more mothers have been talking about their parenting struggles. I'm one of them. After reading it, a few of my friends and I raised the great what-if question: "If you could do it all over again, would you still have kids?" Once the issue was on the table, most of us agreed that we're all in the same wobbly boat.

Did the article prompt us to feel down about being mothers? Did our complaints rub off on each other? Or were these feelings already there?

Ironically, having babies is as contagious as resenting the babies you already have. If your sibling has a child, for example, you're 15 percent more likely to get pregnant yourself within a two-year time span, according to a Princeton study.

I'm living proof of that, too. My husband (I'm remarried now) has two brothers. Each of their wives got pregnant within two months of my own pregnancy. We joke about our family looking like a daycare center, because three cousins were born a couple of months apart.

Maybe it was something in the water. Who knew that water could be so contagious?

next: Teaching Your Children Values through Volunteerism
lesa July 24, 2010, 10:40 AM

I actually agree to a point only because my husband and I came very close to divorcing after his parents split.

Hemorrhoid Cure November 27, 2010, 4:29 AM

Useful info. Thanks so much, great share.

Giant Slide Rentals In Los Angeles December 11, 2010, 9:21 AM

The Constitution gives every American the inalienable right to make a damn fool of himself.

tabel calorii December 27, 2010, 1:43 AM

I was beeing trying to find the Web for such information and just wanted to say thanks to u for this post. BTW, just off topic, how can i find a copy of this theme? – Thank you

dieta anului 2011 January 1, 2011, 11:10 PM

I have beeing looking the Internet for this information and just wanted to say thanks to you for this post. BTW, just off topic, how can i get a copy of this theme? – Thank you

dieta personalizata January 2, 2011, 10:22 PM

I have been looking the WWW for such info and i wanted to say thanks to you for the post. Also, just off topic, how can i get a version of this theme? – Thank you

dieta anului 2011 January 2, 2011, 10:41 PM

I have been searching the WWW for this info and i wanted to say thanks to you for this post. BTW, just off topic, how can i get a copy of this theme? – Thank you

cura slabire January 4, 2011, 3:12 AM

I have been after the google for such info and i wanted to thank u for this post. Also, just off topic, how can i download a copy of this theme? – 10x

cura de slabire January 11, 2011, 1:30 PM

I was been trying to find the Web for this info and i wanted to thank you for the post. BTW, just off topic, how can i find a copy of this theme? – Regards

test inteligenta January 19, 2011, 8:53 AM

I have been after the WWW for such info and just wanted to say thanks to you for this post. BTW, just off topic, where can i get a copy of this theme? – 10x

squamous cell cancer January 21, 2011, 4:36 PM

Squamous cell skin cancer is the most second kind of carcinoma in the world.

dalmatian puppies for sale in california January 31, 2011, 8:58 AM

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it’s a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Carlton Blank February 11, 2011, 3:41 AM

Hello.This article was really motivating, particularly because I was browsing for thoughts on this issue last couple of days.

Lory Svedin February 20, 2011, 9:33 PM

There is clearly a bundle to realize about this. I assume you made some good points in features also.

japanese singles dating February 25, 2011, 3:23 PM

This site has got lots of extremely helpful stuff on it. Thank you for informing me!

Bleaching February 25, 2011, 8:20 PM

I would recommend to you to visit on a website, with a variety of content articles on a style interesting an individual.

praca February 26, 2011, 11:30 AM

I think this is among the most important information for me. And i am glad reading your article. But want to remark on some general things, The website style is ideal, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

buty February 26, 2011, 3:42 PM

We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with valuable information to work on. You’ve done an impressive job and our whole community will be grateful to you.

James Balde February 27, 2011, 1:30 AM

Extermely useful post right here. Thanks for sharing your wisdom with me. I’ll certainly be back again.

program tv February 27, 2011, 4:28 AM

Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and help others like you aided me.