Jill Zarin and Daughter Ally Talk 'Project Green Dorm'

momlogic's Vivian: "The Real Housewives of New York City" star Jill Zarin's daughter, Ally Shapiro Zarin, is on a mission to turn teens green.

Jill Zarin and Ally Zarin

As the current co-president of the New York chapter of Teens Turning Green (an organization devoted to education and advocacy about environmentally and socially responsible choices for individuals, schools and communities), Ally created "Project Green Dorm"to raise teen awareness about "an all-encompassing eco lifestyle."

"Basically, our mission is to start a huge movement to stop exposures to toxic environments throughout our lives," she says. "We try to make people rethink what they do in everyday life, like in their dorm. We hope people will be green -- not only for themselves, but for the people around them. They can do this in their dorms, even through social conversations with their friends. Just saying you want to be green isn't enough. You have to get involved and do things actively. You have to change what you eat, what you do and what you buy."

Ally says her organic lifestyle has a made a huge impact on how she feels -- literally and figuratively. "I felt that the things around me weren't helping my situation. [Ally struggles with arthritis.] I took all the toxic chemicals out of my food, and I haven't been in pain in a while -- I've stopped taking my medicine! I realized it's not only food, but what I put on my body and what I use every day. I feel much better all around -- it's been essential for me."

She says "greening up" a dorm room can simply come down to making educated purchasing decisions. "It's pretty amazing how accessible organic stuff is today, but no one realizes it," she says. "People usually buy what's cheapest for their dorm, but places like JCPenney have organic stuff, too!"

Ally recommends a few easy ways to "green up" your kid's dorm:

• Reuse old furniture by painting it with no-VOC paint, such asYOLO Colorhouse.
  • Invest in organic sheets. Ally swears by those made by Coyuchi.
  • Ally's a big fan of using biodegradable laundry detergents like Soap Nuts -- just take three, put them into a canvas bag with your dirty laundry and stick quarters into the machine!
  • Check out local antique or vintage shops for furniture. (Steer clear of plastic.)
  • Buy lots of plants -- they produce oxygen and help clean the air.

Ally's proud mom, Jill Zarin, says it's important to support kids with their "green" mission.
"It's just a matter of educating your teenager," she says. "You have to show them the alternatives and encourage them to make the green choice. You also should give your kid a few extra dollars, because it's more expensive to be green and organic. Part of the experience of going to college is wanting to change the world -- and hopefully, what Ally's doing will help."

next: Divorce Dialogues: 'My Only Regret Is That I Didn't Do It Sooner'
Joan July 19, 2010, 4:30 AM

Good for Ally! but her mom doesn’t set a good example when it comes to being green. I read that Bobby and Jill take a private helicopter to the Hamptons , where of course they cruise around on a large boat all weekend. And live in a home large enough for 20 people, and I’ll bet the AC is cranked up to the max. When they aren’t flying private jet (without bathrooms) to the Caribbean. The carbon footprint of these two people is insane.

Daisy July 19, 2010, 3:29 PM

Good for Ally.

Jill being “green” is a joke.

Joy B. July 20, 2010, 2:45 PM

Good Lord! Jill being “Green” is ironic!!! and ridiculous!!

Vic July 20, 2010, 6:56 PM

Jill Zarin green? Hahahahah! She hasn’t a clue.

Jill needs to come up with an idea that explains her lifestyle: Like how to make a $16 bag look like a $16,000 bag. Or how to take a great NY apartment, spend a ton of money, and decorate it to look like the interior of a double wide trailer in Alabama.

forex robot July 23, 2010, 8:05 AM

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

Treatment for Hemorrhoid November 28, 2010, 12:56 AM

Interesting information. Very helpful, keep up all the work.

buy valium December 1, 2010, 2:29 PM

I’m getting a javascript error, is anyone else?

marbella rentals December 10, 2010, 5:06 AM

Useful info. Nice piece of info, great share.

Color Wheel Interior Decorating December 11, 2010, 1:09 AM

Nothing is more admirable than the fortitude with which millionaires tolerate the disadvantages of their wealth.

Robin Meinert December 23, 2010, 1:00 PM

Excellent info. Nice piece of info, very informative and easy to understand.

David Smith December 29, 2010, 6:52 AM

You made some nice points there. I looked on the internet for the topic and found most individuals will go along with with your site.

de slabit January 3, 2011, 11:46 PM

I have beeing trying to find the Web for such information and i wanted to say thanks to u for this post. BTW, just off topic, where can i get a version of this theme? – Thank you

Cleora Dimauro January 7, 2011, 12:26 PM

I really like your info. Thanks, keep up all the work.

de slabit January 11, 2011, 12:20 PM

I was been trying to find the WWW for this information and just wanted to say thanks to u for this post. BTW, just off topic, how can i find a version of this theme? – Regards

test inteligenta January 19, 2011, 12:06 PM

I have beeing after the WWW for this information and just wanted to say thanks to you for this post. Also, just off topic, how can i find a copy of this theme? – Thanks

bathroom window treatments January 21, 2011, 7:07 PM

Do you mind if I link this post from my site? I find myself coming to your site more and more often to the point where my visits are almost daily now! Thanks again for putting this online. I unquestionably liked every bit of it.

Ivory Bogdan January 26, 2011, 9:21 AM

Well, this is my original curb prohibited for your webpage! We??re a association of volunteers and commencing a variety fresh drive in a community in the twin niche. Your weblog offered us useful observations to work on. You maintain done a out of this world suzerainty!

Shanice Auyong January 27, 2011, 1:39 AM

Very helpful reading. Nice piece of info, looking forward to your feed updates…

Dee Stoey February 6, 2011, 8:49 AM

As a Newbie, I am continuously exploring online for articles that can help me. Thank you

Celena Emoto February 20, 2011, 8:30 PM

Hello.This post was really fascinating, especially because I was browsing for thoughts on this topic last Friday.