The 4th of July is just around the corner. This year, declare your independence from boring gatherings and throw an event to remember. Jeanne Benedict from Celebrations has ideas and dishes to wow your guests!
Cool off with red, white and blue water balloons, then heat up the competition with these ideas:
1) Fourth of July Egg Toss
- Fill blown-out eggs with Ecofetti (biodegradable confetti).
- Cover the egg holes with a holiday sticker and use them for your egg toss!
2) Stars & Stripes Hunt
Send the kids on a scavenger hunt looking for these 10 fun Fourth of July items:
1. Red, white or blue food
3. Striped item of clothing
4. Red, white or blue item from parent
5. $1 in change
6. Star shape found in nature
7. Holiday paper plate or napkin
8. Bottle cap
9. Item with a President's name
3) Fireworks Kaleidoscope
- Purchase "Design Your Own Kaleidoscope" kits for each child.
- Set the kits on a table, along with holiday-themed paper, a glue stick, double-sided tape and scissors (to decorate the outside of the kaleidoscopes).
- Get patriotic sequins and faux gems for the prismatic sparkle at the end of the kaleidoscopes.
Below, you'll find some zesty red, white and blue recipes for your Fourth of July celebration, including Papaya, Jicama and Red Onion Slaw, Potato and Black Bean Salad, Pork Ribs and Glaze, Watermelon Caramel Flan and Star Pepper Pasta Salad.
Make sure to keep your decor in the red, white and blue theme. (You can do this with your tablecloths, napkins, plates and cups.) Don't forget: It's the little details that really create your party atmosphere.
For more entertaining ideas, check out Celebrations.