Acne: Help Teens Stop BEFORE They Pop!

Christina Montoya Fiedler: The urge to pop a pimple -- in spite of knowing the damage it can cause -- is sometimes simply overwhelming for teens, says noted clinical psychologist and dermatologist Richard Fried, MD. But why is the urge to pop so strong?

Woman squeezing spot
Along with the passionate desire to make the pimple disappear, there is often a form of psychological release that comes with popping, Dr. Fried explains.The problem is that many teens find it difficult or impossible to stop squeezing or picking once they begin. Overzealous manipulation can damage and permanently mar the skin. In the extreme, the behavior can be a form of self-mutilation. Sometimes, having this awareness can help stop the behavior -- especially if it's habitual.

Ways to Help Your Teen Gain Control
If popping acne blemishes is an activity in which your teen indulges regularly, it may be time to consult a dermatologist. The doctor can treat your teen's entire complexion, talk to your teen about individual acne triggers (like stress, hormones, etc.) and help put your teen on a clearer path. If the acne is mild to moderate, it can often be effectively treated with a topical gel.

If all else fails, try these behavior-modification tips to help your teen stop popping:

• Touch if you must: While keeping fingers away from pimples is probably the best choice, some teens simply "need" to touch the blemish. Applying gentle pressure, a hot compress or even a circular massage can alleviate the urge and tension.
  • Scar scare: Encourage your teen to visualize the damage that squeezing or picking produces (i.e., scarring, redness or pitting of the skin).
Getting professional help for your teen is important for two reasons, says Dr. Fried. The first is that his/her complexion will begin to look better, and fewer breakouts will result in less self-treating.Second, your teen will feel as if he or she has an ally, and a dermatologist can actually help get rid of those big blemishes that are calling out to be popped on the spot. Treating the entire complexion will also help your teen feel empowered and less inclined to pick or pop.

How do you handle your teen's breakouts?

next: Mom Finds Kidnapped Kids ... and They Hate Her
Matt July 17, 2010, 6:49 AM

What was the point of this article? First off, There is no psychological release that comes with popping zits. Next those “hints” are completely useless, if you want me to time my child’s bathroom usage because of a zit then you are seriously neurotic and need help.

Researcher July 17, 2010, 9:57 AM

Avoid popping a zit at all costs. If you do end up popping it, apply Neosporin, take advil, and put some ice in a plastic bag and apply it every 15 minutes for a couple hours. That’ll help it heal and reduce the chances of a scar.

In general, you don’t need to have acne. You need to figure out why you have it and fix the root causes.

For many people, it is a lack of a proper melatonin cycle. You can fix your melatonin cycle by going to sleep at the same time every night, sleeping in complete and total darkness, and getting out and about during the day so your body knows it’s daylight.

If that doesn’t work, make sure you aren’t Vitamin D deficient, take a Zinc and Vitamin B complex supplement.

If that doesn’t work, attempt to eliminate sugar, dairy, and grains from your diet.

If that doesn’t work, you still have some options. Check out acneresearch.org to view some simplified acne research broken down into fairly reasonable steps.

Jessica July 17, 2010, 10:38 AM

Try Niapads and you will not need to do any pimple popping.

Wendi July 19, 2010, 2:30 PM

My son 13 has severe acne and I got to say I would rather him pop them then go walking around with big white things on his face. I have popped zits all my life and I am not scared from it. I think people are just way to crazy about stuff like this.

Kim Gr September 20, 2010, 10:49 PM

The combination of my face wash with my prescription topical acne cream created dry flaky patches on my face. I have struggled with this problem for almost a year but despite using a lot of different products, I haven’t been able to find relief until I found Shielo Complexion Scrub.

The Shielo Complexion Scrub is my face wash, and the Shielo Complexion Moisturizer is my daily moisturizer, which is NOT greasy. It absorbs quickly and easily into the skin without that yucky residue that is usually left behind by those creamy deep moisturizers.

Finally my acne patches are gone. I apply once in the morning and again before bed, but never have to reapply in the middle of the day unlike other less successful moisturizers I have used before.

Unfortunately I haven’t seen this in my local big box drugstores, so I have to buy online at their website shielo dot com. Highly recommended!

Berenice October 12, 2010, 10:08 AM

Acne is a real issue with teenagers, and has always been. I haven’t found any teen that has no issue with it. I have even seen kids putting Kamagra Gel on their faces to ease the pain.

buy diazepam December 1, 2010, 2:53 PM

Youre so cool! I dont think Ive read anything like this before. So good to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. Thanks for starting this up. This blog is something that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality. Good job for bringing something new to the internet!

Led Lights On Motorcycles Law December 12, 2010, 1:07 AM

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it’s a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Layered Wedding Program Template December 17, 2010, 11:59 PM

I guess what I’m trying to say is, I don’t think you can measure life in terms of years. I think longevity doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with happiness. I mean happiness comes from facing challenges and going out on a limb and taking risks. If you’re not willing to take a risk for something you really care about, you might as well be dead.

celebrity updos 2012 pictures December 22, 2010, 4:41 AM

If a man does not make new acquaintances as he advances through life, he will soon find himself alone. A man should keep his friendships in constant repair.

Mary Martini December 28, 2010, 4:19 PM

I admire your website , it has of lot of information. You just got one perennial visitor of this blog.

phen375 review January 6, 2011, 5:09 PM

Ladies generally aren’t looking to shed massive levels of pounds typically. The majority of the people making use of phen375 are simply looking to drop 5 in order to Twenty-five weight on average as well as normally the belly fat. The majority are healthful, visit the fitness center kind people. They just weren’t capable of lose the fat on their own tummy or have reached a Plato. Abdominal fat problems typically commence to happen for girls at about the time of or perhaps after child birth as well as afterwards in age pre and post menopausal. It seems like hitting ladies while right now there hormonal levels tend to be transforming; it’s a standard means of life or is it? My goal is to demonstrate the real fat kept in the actual stomach or even stomach region differs as well as the much more you’ve got of it the whores your hormone discrepancy will become.

Giełda Transportowa January 11, 2011, 2:53 AM

This is a brilliant initiative. Thanks a bunch for sharing!

evening gowns for wedding January 15, 2011, 2:14 AM

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.

Tyron Guererro January 21, 2011, 11:31 AM

I don’t agree with it, kudos to you for making the effort to put it up

mizzou homecoming 2011 queen January 22, 2011, 12:44 AM

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.

Basilia Reiners February 6, 2011, 8:05 AM

Wow! Thank you! I constantly wanted to write on my site something like that. Can I include a part of your post to my website?

Norris Francois March 27, 2011, 3:30 PM

One product that seems to stand above the rest is Proactiv Solution.

Rico Parrin March 27, 2011, 11:36 PM

First you need to start eating better and stop eating foods loaded with sugars, fats, and oils.

Justin Zahorchak May 19, 2011, 12:10 AM