L.A. city leaders are warning parents about a common plant that some teens have been using as a drug.
It's called the Angel's Trumpet plant. Nearly a dozen teens have been hospitalized with severe reactions after chewing the plant or concentrating it into a tea form.
The plant is highly toxic. Teens who ingest it seem confused, agitated and have patchy discolorations on their skin, according to KTLA.
Other side effects can include dilated pupils, intense thirst, fever, high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, hallucinations, memory loss, convulsions and paralysis.
An overdose of the plant can lead to permanent organ damage, coma and even death.