The Creativity Crisis: Are Your Kids Suffering?

momlogic's Vivian: A recent Newsweek article, "The Creativity Crisis," has simply underlined what I've suspected all along: that today's youth is seriously swimming upstream with respect to the nurturing of their creative instincts.

Girl drawing with crayons

On average, IQ's have been rising about 10 points with each generation. But American creativity scores are falling. Researcher Kyung Hee Kim from the College of William & Mary saw creativity scores (a.k.a. CQ's) rise until 1990, but since then, they've taken a dive. "It's very clear, and the decrease is very significant," Kim says, adding that the decline in scores is "most serious" for younger children in America -- those in kindergarten through sixth grade.

What does this mean? In part, the sacrifice of arts classes in our schools (dropped in order to hike test scores and either lift sagging school profiles or abide by stringent No Child Left Behind parameters) is having an adverse effect on our children's abilities to think without textbook how-tos.

In contrast, Europeans are making a concerted effort to elevate creative studies and adopt problem-based learning programs. British secondary schools have tweaked their curricula to place more importance on "idea generation."

American teachers say there's "no room in the day for a creativity class," and (as is abundantly reflected by the lack thereof) there usually isn't a budget for them, either. But the Newsweek piece goes on to say that this is a "false trade-off," because creativity is equal parts right-brained imagination and left-brained research.

What I found most alarming was how dependent young children have become on the instructors who guide them. "When creative children have a supportive teacher -- someone tolerant of unconventional answers, occasional disruptions or detours of curiosity -- they tend to excel," reads the piece. "When they don't, they tend to underperform and drop out of high school, or don't finish college at high rates."

Yikes!

What do you guys think? Is there a solution to the creativity crisis?

next: The Scoop: Eight Controversial Ice-Cream Flavors
anonymous July 13, 2010, 3:23 PM

NCLB is the problem!!!! Not just getting rid of arts, but the whole way people teach now.

Janice July 13, 2010, 4:17 PM

What a great subject! It’s about time that the loss of creativity is noticed and studied. I agree with the study, but I would add other reasons besides loss of art programs. Children that are constantly kept “busy,” with their days filled with activity from morning until night don’t have the opportunity to dream or to use their imagination. Take them out in nature and let them figure out what to do, give them times of silence, lots of art supplies, music, books, etc. To have creativity a child needs to develop a rich inner life.

A_Plato July 14, 2010, 10:24 PM

I recently read a remarkable blog post on creativity and innovation — Google “the role of psychological distance in creativity and innovation” and have a read. (Link is http://thelaughingbuddha.wordpress.com/2010/06/14/the-role-of-psychological-distance-in-creativity-and-innovation/)

Arjun July 14, 2010, 10:30 PM

creative children July 15, 2010, 7:32 PM

Nice post about The Creativity Crisis for all creative children, it helps a lot in how to guide our child’s in their creativity stage. hope to see more soon, Thanks!

michelle July 20, 2010, 8:29 AM

It all comes back to the fact that in America we don’t really care about education. We say we do, but we don’t. Education is the first budget item to be cut, curriculums are based on what makes grownups feel good rather than on facts, and the only “new” idea anyone can come up with for our dismal achievement levels is to teach to a standardized test. We are now getting what we paid for. By the way, creativity is not just a “nice to have.” It is the critical ingredient in nurturing a budding scientist, economist, writer, you name it — many of the best in these fields were first inspired at school as well as by their parents. Sad that we had to send our children to expensive private school in order for them to get a decent education and learn to think for themselves. I thought these things were non-negotiable, but apparently in America we’d rather focus our energy, attention and money on prisons and tax cuts than on our children.

excellent! found movie downloads September 11, 2010, 8:33 PM

I agree with a lot of what peoples comments are that I am reading here.

Blanton Studios Senior Pictures November 25, 2010, 12:56 AM

There are only two ways of telling the complete truth—anonymously and posthumously.

Hemorrhoid Cure November 28, 2010, 1:04 AM

Very helpful website. Great post, have a good day!

diazepam December 1, 2010, 3:58 PM

great post! i’m bookmarking this!

High Heels Mando Diao Chords December 9, 2010, 8:23 AM

Nothing is more admirable than the fortitude with which millionaires tolerate the disadvantages of their wealth.

Marine Outboard Motors For Sale Used December 17, 2010, 11:56 PM

I guess what I’m trying to say is, I don’t think you can measure life in terms of years. I think longevity doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with happiness. I mean happiness comes from facing challenges and going out on a limb and taking risks. If you’re not willing to take a risk for something you really care about, you might as well be dead.

Courtney Breedan December 23, 2010, 1:21 PM

Nice website. Great post, very useful indeed…

Misti Mills December 29, 2010, 1:01 AM

As a Newbie, I am constantly exploring online for articles that can help me. Thank you

phen375 review January 6, 2011, 7:25 PM

Ladies generally are not trying to shed substantial levels of weight generally. The majority of the women and men utilizing phen375 are only trying to shed 5 to 25 pounds normally and also typically its belly fat. The majority are healthful, visit the fitness center type people. They just haven’t been capable of drop fat deposits on their stomach or reach the Plato. Belly fat problems normally commence to take place for girls around the time of or perhaps following giving birth and later inside age group pre and post menopause. It seems like going to women although there hormonal levels tend to be changing; it’s a normal procedure for life or perhaps is this? My goal is to show you the genuine excess fat kept in the actual stomach or belly area differs from the others and also the a lot more you have than it the particular whores your junk discrepancy will end up.

Jacinto Disilvestro January 7, 2011, 1:05 PM

Useful website. Thank you, you describe the topic very well

Hostnine User Review January 10, 2011, 3:26 AM

As a Newbie, I am continuously exploring online for articles that can benefit me. Thank you

Hostel Belgrade January 14, 2011, 9:01 PM

I’m still learning from you, while I’m trying to achieve my goals. I certainly liked reading everything that is posted on your website.Keep the stories coming. I enjoyed it!

Arlie Capaldi January 27, 2011, 2:33 AM

Nice info. Nice piece of info, very informative and easy to understand.

Ofelia Mcglawn February 6, 2011, 7:41 AM

Well I truly enjoyed reading it. This article offered by you is very constructive for correct planning.