twitter facebook stumble upon rss

Toddler Chokes to Death on Hot Dog

sign up for the momlogic newsletter Tweet This

Angry Mom: Three-year-old Anna Hendley of Indiana died after choking to death on a hot dog at her babysitter's house on Monday.

child chokes on hot dog

I wish people would STOP FEEDING TODDLERS HOT DOGS. The fact that this little girl lost her life needlessly makes me sick!

Pediatricians are calling for a choke-proof hot dog that's redesigned so their size, shape and texture won't lodge in a child's throat.

Hedy Palliardi has invented Flat Dogs, which are (surprise!) a flat hot dog. They're only available in Connecticut right now, but I hope that soon they will be available nationwide, so other kids like Anna don't have to lose their lives.

Until Flat Dogs are available everywhere, cut toddlers' hot dogs into quarter-sized pieces -- or don't give them hot dogs at all.


next: The Nerdiest Babies of Comic-Con
53 comments so far | Post a comment now
Mom July 28, 2010, 3:47 PM

When I give my son a hotdog, I cut it into quarters before I put it in the bun so the hotdog peices are small when he takes a bite.

Rachel July 28, 2010, 3:48 PM

Here’s a novel idea: instead of costing companies tons of money to revise an industry, why don’t you just cut up the hots dog?!
My sisters and I ate hot dogs for years as kids. My mother made sure we didn’t choke on them by…cutting them up! It’s crazy!

MartiniMama July 28, 2010, 4:42 PM

I agree that it is ridiculous to hold a company responsible for what should be a parent or caretaker’s responsibility! Just cut it up!

My son choked on a grape when he was 3 because I was in a rush and didn’t cut them in half. Fortunately he was able to choke it out. Should I petition God to change the way he designed grapes because of it??

Janice July 28, 2010, 7:52 PM

My 2 year old daughter choked on the olive in her martini. Should I cut that up next time?

Dawn July 28, 2010, 7:56 PM

Kids can choke on anything if you don’t watch them. Did the baby sitter know what to do on the event of an emergency? To me that is a more dangerous situation than killer hot dogs…

Stacey July 28, 2010, 8:04 PM

Newsflash: Kids can choke on anything. Remember the old “if it fits through a toilet paper roll your kid can choke on it” rule? Well guess what? It still applies.

Elana Kahn July 28, 2010, 8:06 PM

If it’s a choking hazard, then cut it up! Hot dog, olive, grape, whatever. It’s not the company’s problem, it’s the parent/caretaker. Sure, we all cut corners and are sometimes forgetful or busy, but no parent wants something like that to G-d forbid happen to their child. If you don’t have the time, then feed them something else for that meal.

Heather July 28, 2010, 8:52 PM

Very sad story. Here is the newsflash… Stop feeding your children unhealthy foods! Cut up or not hotdogs are awful for anyone, especially toddlers!!

XXXX July 29, 2010, 8:38 AM

It’s all the babysitter’s fault.

ame i. July 30, 2010, 6:20 AM

Hot dogs are among the most gross foods out there, trumped by tripe.

Mo August 2, 2010, 12:55 PM

The hot dog company should not be at fault in this situation. Every Pediatrician tells you that your child can choke on anything that can fit into a toilet paper roll. It was the babysitters responsibility to serve the child in child sized pieces. My heart goes out to this child’s family

Louise McCloud August 3, 2010, 3:54 AM

THIS IS NOT SOMETHING NEW, WHEN MY SON WAS A BABY (HE’S AN ADULT NOW) THIS WAS KNOWN, BUT IT’S NOT JUST HOT DOGS, IT’S PEANUT BUTTER AS WELL. PEANUT BUTTER CAN STICK IN A CHILD THROAT LIKE GLUE, MY SUGGESTION IS IF YOU GIVE A CHILD PEANUT BUTTER, MAKE IT CREAMY STYLE AND MIX IT WITH FRUIT SPREAD, IT THINS IT OUT AND CUT THE SANDWICH IN SMALL PIECES, HOT DOGS SHOULD BE CHOPPED IN VERY SMALL PIECES, NEVER SLICE A HOT DOG, REMEMBER CHILDREN HAVE A TENDENCY TO SHALLOW NOT CHEW THEIR FOOD, HARD COOKIES, CANDY, I.E. LOLLIPOPS, TOOTSI POPS ANY HARD CANDY, FRESH FRUIT, FRESH VEGETABLES, MEAT, NEVER LEAVE A CHILD ALONE DURING A MEAL, WHEN MY CHILD WAS SMALL I ALWAYS HANDED HIM PIECES OF A SANDWICH AND REALLY CHOPPED UP HIS FOOD, EVEN HIS SNACKS LIKE COOKIES. I KNOW IT SOUNDS OVER PROTECTIVE, BUT ISN’T IT BETTER TO BE OVER PROTECTIVE THAN RISK A LIFE THREATENING EMERGENCY WITH YOUR CHILD? OR WORSE.

Kelly August 3, 2010, 4:05 AM

I can’t believe people still give their children hotdogs! This (choking) was one of my biggest fears when my children were growing up. They are now 20 and 17. It’s old news! WAKE UP PEOPLE!

Vero August 3, 2010, 4:36 AM

THANK YOU Heather!!!! The toddler shouldn’t have been eating hot dogs to begin with. IT’S NOT HEALTHY!!!!!

Kimberly August 3, 2010, 4:46 AM

I can’t tell you how much choking scares me as a Mom. Even though my children are now six and seven, I still cut up any meat they eat, as well as large grapes, ect. I’ve been made fun of for it, but they haven’t choked yet…Thank God. Also make sure you and any care giver for your child know basic first aid and CPR. A quick reaction might have saved this little girl.

in2motion August 3, 2010, 5:28 AM

We put too much trust in our babysitters & many parents. A chart would be helpful showing to cut a grape LENGTHWISE or quarters, as well as other suspect foods. A kids windwipe is only the size of their pinky!

Dawna August 3, 2010, 6:56 AM

The horror of a child choking is constantly in the back of my mind. I still yell at my adult children, if I should catch them walking around while eating a piece of hard candy. LOL

Hot dogs are a choking hazard, plain and simple. But, as they are not going away, the message needs to be spread to parents and sitters about the proper way to dice up this and similar foods. I cannot count the times that I have witnessed people at restaurants or gatherings that were simply slicing the hot dog into circles for their toddler. Each time, I made it my business to politely explain to them that that little circle could completely block their child’s airway. Perhaps I pissed them off but if it saves a life, who cares?

I actually detest hot dogs but my family enjoys them and should my little one’s insist on eating what Daddy is having, I cut the frank twice lengthwise, making four sticks, then I dice the sticks into small pieces. I do the same with bananas and make sure each grape is in at least four pieces. NO circles. Really, there needs to be some PSAs aired on TV and placed online to show the safest way to serve kid’s these foods. New parents and young parents or sitters just do not know.

lalala August 3, 2010, 7:00 AM

How about birth control instead for people who are too stupid feed their children the right foods. If you’re not any brighter than this, you shouldn’t have children. Granted, it was the babysitter’s fault this time, but it’s usually a parent who gives their own child something they shouldn’t have had in the first place. Accidents can happen to anyone, but let’s all be smart enough to prevent the things we can or DON’T HAVE CHILDREN.

Jordan August 3, 2010, 7:22 AM

A child can choke on ANYTHING…this doesn’t mean that the parents are stupid, or that they should procreate…by the way, lalala, that is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading. Anyway, why didn’t the babysitter perform the Heimlich manuever? THAT is what would have saved that child’s life, not NOT feeding her hotdogs to begin with. I personally am going to feed my child what he will eat…guess what is popular? HOT DOGS!!! Bring on the nitrates!

Tanya August 3, 2010, 8:29 AM

It is the person’s responsibility to make sure the hot dog is cut up small enough to prevent choking. I always would peel the skin off the hot dog and then cut it up into tiny pieces before giving it to my kids when they were younger. It is not the manufacturer’s fault.


Back to top >>
advertisement