Tori vs. Dean: Is an Adrenaline Rush Worth the Risk?

momlogic's Vivian:

Dean McDermott and Tori Spelling

Last week, motorcycle enthusiast Dean McDermott (of "Tori & Dean: Home Sweet Hollywood" fame) took quite the spill on his bike, puncturing his lung, "messing up a few things" and landing in the ICU.People magazine reports that he's out of intensive care now, but it'll be a while before he's in the clear.

If you watch "Tori & Dean: Home Sweet Hollywood,"you know that Dean's wife, Tori Spelling, has held a firm anti-motorcycle stance for quite some time -- to the point that it seemed to fuel a rift in Tori and Dean's relationship. See, her beef wasn't about the fact that her hubby had himself a hobby, it was about the fact that he had a hobby that could potentially cause him bodily harm -- or worse. And now the poor girl is facing one of her biggest fears (while taking care of two small children, mind you).

This sitch got me thinking: Do we owe it to our partners and our children to stay out of harm's way when it comes to our recreational activities?

Don't get me wrong -- I'm all for parents striving to preserve a hunk of the pre-kid part of themselves, be it through a hobby, an adventure or what have you. But in this case, I'm inclined to agree with the woman. Would I have jumped out of a plane in my 20s? Hells, yeah! But seeing as I don't have to do it for work and I have two young kids to take care of, no adrenaline rush is worth my potential inability to care for my kids due to a busted limb, confinement to a hospital bed ... or worse. So I get my "me" on by doing things that don't involve parachutes.

What say you, guys? Are recreational risks worth taking once you have kids?

next: 100 Years of the Most Popular Baby Names
Ane July 6, 2010, 12:05 PM

Maybe when my kids are old enough to fend for themselves then I guess it’s okay to do risky stuff again.. :P

Anonymous July 6, 2010, 1:34 PM

What about when pregnant? Should pregnant reporters be allowed on the front lines?

MommyMcMe July 7, 2010, 1:21 PM

I owned my own motorcycle when I found out I was pregnant with my son a couple years ago. My husband never owned a motorcycle and I only rode occasionally. But as soon as I found out I was pregnant, I decided to sell my motorcycle and I’m glad I did. There are enough things to worry about without making myself a vegetable or leaving my son without a mother. We take time to childproof our houses…why wouldn’t we also take precautions with our own lives?

Robyn July 10, 2010, 3:51 PM

I totally agree with what you are saying. There is no hobby worth risking your health and the ability to be with your children. When you make the decision to become a parent you become responsible for someone else and should act accordingly.

Deborah August 2, 2010, 10:20 PM

I’ve been watching Tori and Dean for three seasons…and I agree somewhat with both sides. My husband and I both ride together and my “requirement” if you will, is that he take and pass with flying colors a motorcycle training course. Which he did 3 yrs. ago. 100%, no errors. I think that it is important for a man to feel like a man,(even though he is a father),but at the same time be responsible to and for his family and use common sense.
Dean’s flaw in this is that he feels the need to “speed” or race motorcycles instead of a crusing rider mentality. which is safer, a much lower speed and a different bike. There is danger everywhere, driving a car, going in a convinence store, crossing the street or riding a bicycle with your kids. You should use common sense and not become involved in high speed sports and be a father at the same time.

pharmacy tech August 9, 2010, 7:29 AM

Great site. A lot of useful information here. I’m sending it to some friends!

elephant tube November 8, 2010, 11:32 AM

Positively agree with blogger. Finally someone gets the cojonies to tell it like it is.

Lloyd Browy November 12, 2010, 10:37 AM

Really go along with admn. At long last someone has the balls to say it like it is.

Joleen Reifel November 12, 2010, 3:20 PM

I changed techs given that after a few years with laser, I thought the benefits weren’t worth it. Then I ordered the silk n. They will promise that after two years’ time in case that hair grows again, all treatments are free of cost. They’ve got both fractionated laser and also Intense pulsed light, but I am planning to stick with fractionated laser now as Intense pulsed light didn’t appear to reduce the amount of hair returning.

valium December 1, 2010, 2:53 PM

Certainly agree with just what you said. Your explanation was certainly the simplest to comprehend. I tell you, I usually get annoyed any time folks discuss issues that these people obviously don’t know about. You were able to hit the nail on the head and spelled out the whole thing with out complication. Perhaps, folks could take a signal. Will likely be back to obtain more. Appreciate it

Dark Cherry Red Hair Color December 11, 2010, 12:48 PM

Every great advance in natural knowledge has involved the absolute rejection of authority.

Prom Dresses And Gowns December 15, 2010, 2:11 AM

Coming home from very lonely places, all of us go a little mad: whether from great personal success, or just an all-night drive, we are the sole survivors of a world no one else has ever seen.

Nicholas Arnold December 28, 2010, 2:38 PM

Keep working ,splendid job!

high resolution wallpaper January 1, 2011, 6:58 PM

Just discovered this blog thru Yahoo, what a pleasant shock!

Roofing Philadelphia January 11, 2011, 2:29 PM

At first I wasnt sure what you were writing, but at this moment I understand and agree fully.

ocean city maryland beach rentals January 11, 2011, 6:10 PM

I would love to find a house in or near Big Sur where I could hold a small-ish wedding. Ive looked many places (including the vacation rental website above) but am having trouble finding a large house with enough outdoor space to hold 100 people. Any suggestions for other rental websites?

Ugg January 18, 2011, 11:03 PM

There is noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made sure nice points in features also.

vigrx January 19, 2011, 3:17 PM

Can I just say what a relief to seek out someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You positively know methods to carry an issue to light and make it important. More individuals have to read this and understand this aspect of the story. I cant consider youre no more common because you positively have the gift.

forex January 20, 2011, 9:11 AM

You made some respectable points there. I appeared on the internet for the difficulty and found most individuals will associate with together with your website.

Ukash January 24, 2011, 4:07 AM

Superukash Türkiye %100 Yasal hem ucuz hem guvenli Ukash Kart satışı yapmaktadır. Ucuz ukash, ukash, ukash al, ukash destek.