Calling All Teachers! We Want You!

Teachers of America, we love you! All year long, you have to deal with us parents harassing you about the quality of our children's education. Now it's your turn to speak your mind!

True Teacher Confession

We are looking for "True Teacher Confessions," and they will be kept 100 percent anonymous! We promise: No names will be used.

We would LOVE for you teachers to answer a few questions for us. This survey is an attempt for our mom readers to better understand what it's like to be a teacher (and the challenges you face) so that we can learn how to support the education system better. Are we in denial about our kids' behavior? We want to know that, too! Some answers will be published, but no names or sources will be used.

True Teacher Confession

next: Divorce Dialogues: 'My Only Regret Is That I Didn't Do It Sooner'
Kristen July 19, 2010, 8:51 AM

Sorry but teachers don’t give an education, they give babysitting services. I know their are great teachers out their but with budget cuts and classroom sizes rising I don’t see how kids get much out of school these days, not to mention the crappy standarized tests.

Anonymous July 19, 2010, 1:24 PM

The budget cuts just mean I’m spending more out of pocket to make sure my students get the education they need and deserve while I watch my co workers get let go.

Kris July 20, 2010, 7:34 AM

Sorry Kristen, but since you haven’t quite mastered the English language (their/there/they’re) you don’t get to insult teachers!

Kris July 20, 2010, 7:39 AM

Kristen July 20, 2010, 7:57 AM

That is so funny Kris……I’ve known people with Master’s degrees who spell and write worse than I do, I’ve met teachers who have not mastered the english language. Just because you spell incorrectly doesn’t mean you’re stupid. I stand by my statement that most teachers are just babysitters these days.

Rachel July 20, 2010, 12:59 PM

I am so tired of teacher-bashing (Kristen’s comment included). We used to be respected professionals, but now we get the blame for every misstep education has taken over the last forty years. Maybe if teachers could teach and not fall to the whim of parents and politicians, our educational system would be a lot better.

Kristen July 20, 2010, 1:37 PM

Rachel, I completely agree with you and that was my point. I believe that teachers today are babysitters BUT it is not by choice. I also believe VERY strongly that the entire testing system is greatly flawed and geared to work AGAINST teachers. I know their are good, even GREAT teachers out their but I believe they are limited because of politicans and parents who don’t care.

Jane Doe July 22, 2010, 4:55 PM

@Kris,

How can you insult Kristen when you misinterpreted what she was saying? She said teachers are babysitters, meaning that they take care of students more than parents, and they don’t get to do the very thing they are paid to do: TEACH!!

I am certified to teach, although I decided to pursue dual master’s degrees instead. However, when doing my student intern at the school, more oft than not, I was a babysitter, counselor, disciplinarian, mother, father, big sister, friend, and the biggest giver of hugs.

For the parents who read this, please validate your children at HOME!! Let them know they are on this earth for a reason; that their life has significance and purpose. Teach your kids that they come to school to learn how to function in the real world as a productive citizen. School is not the place for foolishness, rather, it is an institute of higher learning.

Just a friendly perspective…..love everyone!! :o)

Heather July 26, 2010, 1:05 PM

I am an ESE teacher in the state of Florida. With the Budget cuts, I live never knowing if I am going to have a job at the end of the year or not. I spend at least $250, every 2 months,just in pencils and paper for my student, that’s not including folders, binders and so on.

I don’t like it when parent have the idea that teacher are just babysitters. This idea that parents have, causes the students to have an attitude, teacher are not important, therefore, make my job harder. On top of parent influenced idea’s, we have to deal with abusive parents, poor students, students and parents that don’t speak english, or parents that don’t put school at the top of their list.

Teaching was a life long dream of mine, but now I’m hating all the politics of the job. The constant negitive thoughts about teachers, never doing good enough and always defending my job and ability. Spending 15,000 dollars on a degree in education plus 200 dollars per certification test. I have three that I pay for the test then an extra $75.00 each to have them posted to my certificate.

I love my student’s.

Anonymous July 27, 2010, 5:42 AM

Heather- you mean “students” not “student’s”
I fear for our educational future!

Heather July 27, 2010, 12:19 PM

Okay, My grammar issue is not what we are talking about, we are talking about teacher’s and their confessions. Are you perfect? You are one of those that think they know everything and all teachers are just babysitters that do nothing! Well, it is parents like you that cause teachers to have to focus paper work and what’s on the wall. You are low. If it wasn’t for teachers, we wouldn’t have doctors, lawyers, business men or women, the president, yet “We are just babysitters.” If I wasn’t a teacher and this wasn’t in writing I would say a few other things for the lovely comment on my ability to do my job. Plus, these “put downs” are why so many good teachers are going to another profession. Your child probably goes to a private school and you are talking out your ***.

Janet July 29, 2010, 8:23 PM

I have been teaching 14 years. Every year I do everything in my power to be the best teacher for my students. I try to LISTEN to my students. The number one complaint I hear from students is that no one listens to them. So I listen. It’s absolutely amazing what happens when we really listen to people. We could all learn from just listening.

lenen August 4, 2010, 4:18 PM

Lenen zonder BKR toetsing gaat vandaag heel gemakkelijk. Binnen een paar uur geld lenen zonder BKR toetsing doet u hier, lees snel verder

hypotheek August 8, 2010, 7:02 PM

Hoeveel kan ik lenen? (hypotheek). Wat worden mijn maandlasten? (hypotheek) … Hoeveel hypotheek heb ik nodig? Hoe hoog is de boete die ik nu zou moeten

Lisa August 10, 2010, 10:01 AM

I love teaching. I love children. I have a masters degree in Special Education and a bilingual (Spanish) elementary credential. Both of my own children are on the autism spectrum. I am in the unique position of sitting on both sides of the table at IEPs - as a parent and as a teacher. All I have to say is that money and administrative control are the demise of education today. When I began teaching 17 years ago I was able to do what I knew was truly the best protocol for children and meet all their needs. Today, teachers spend so much time jumping through hoops and being told what not to do that I feel so limited. There is nothing worse than knowing that an IEP team is trying not to give a child the services they need because of budget. This happens. Parents have to fight for what their child needs and then we get labeled as ‘troublemakers’. To be fair there are parents out there who push for way more than necessary and there are administrators who give what is needed. But overall, special education needs to be fully funded by the federal government (which was proposed and never happened). I just am fed up with feeling powerless when it comes to doing what is the right recipe for children. Parents - keep doing the best you can and remember to read with your children (#1 indicator of academic success per research) and yes, listen to them and put down the darned cell phone/etc. and give them some of you - that’s what they really need and want.

Axel August 11, 2010, 11:58 AM

There are too many administrators for the districts. They have massive salaries, and they do very little if anything for the schools. While most of our nations teachers are getting laid off, they are getting pay raises. How our school system works is that they get X amount of dollars. Once all the administrators get their share of the money the rest is for the teachers, and after that, the rest is for supplies. Our Education system is having problems cause we can not afford the basic supplies to teach these kids. And let alone more than half of them don’t want to be there. So when you get a student who does want to learn he/she are dragged down by the one who wish not to be there. It is my personal opinion that America should change the school system as a whole. There should be schools for kids who want to go to college and want to learn. And put the rest of the children who don’t want to be there and have them learn a trade or something. This is similar to what the German education system does, and it honestly works.

Kurt August 23, 2010, 4:48 AM

Children face many social, emotional, and academic challenges in their lives. Helping them develop during early childhood and navigate through the choppy waters of adolescence requires patience, compassion, and (more than is often acknowledged) maturity. As a teacher, it saddens me to see children who live in households where they are not provided adequate support and guidance. These kids face an uphill battle in school every day simply because their parents fail to prioritize their child’s needs over their own. I will summarize this is capitals for emphasis: HAVING A CHILD REQUIRES A LIFELONG COMMITMENT TO PROVIDING THEM LOVE AND SUPPORT! ANYTHING LESS IS SHAMEFUL.

cheapviagra5295 August 30, 2010, 6:36 AM
Fashion Design October 12, 2010, 4:42 PM

I like this website, clean style! is it a template?

pay day loan December 10, 2010, 6:23 AM

Kudos for posting this type of useful weblog. Your blog isn’t only informative but also very artistic too. There tend to be very several people who can write low number of simple articles that creatively. Continue the excellent writing !!