Twin Toddlers Drown in Swimming Pool Accident

Two-year-old twins Angelina and Veronica Andreottola drowned at their Massachusetts home over the weekend. Police say they may have fallen into the family pool after they pushed a button to open a retractable pool cover.

Twin Toddlers Drown in Swimming Pool Accident

Police believe the twins snuck out of the house without the knowledge of their mother, Crystal, then managed to flick a switch which pulled back the pool cover before they fell into the water. The pool was partially covered by the electric-powered retractable cover when the girls were discovered, but police intend to look at surveillance footage to find out exactly how it ended up that way.

The twins' father was not home at the time of the accident. The couple also has a 9-month-old son.

"They had a pool cover; there were gates," said Police Chief Joseph Dunn."I think every effort was made to safeguard those children. It's a tragic, tragic accident."

Our heart breaks for this family -- especially for the mother, whose grief and guilt must be immeasurable. This is a painful reminder that we can't take our eyes off our little ones even for a second.

next: 18-Year-Old 'Glee' Star Charice Gets Botox
Gwyn July 19, 2010, 3:02 PM

I cannot imagine the anguish this family must be going through and will likely continue to feel for a lifetime. Truly we should worry less about carseats and gun safes and more about residential pools to keep our children safe.

Beverly Payton M.A., APR July 20, 2010, 9:15 AM

As a member of the Board of Directors of the National Drowning Prevention Alliance I can add that our hearts break for these parents too. I know, first hand, the angusih they are going through because my 3-year-old daughter drowned in a neighbors unsecured pool in 1988. Since then I have been working to prevent this tragedy from happening to other parents by educating the public and advocating for strict swimming pool barrier legislation.
The NDPA and other child safety advocates recommend having multiple layers of protection in place to prevent children’s unsupervised access to pools and spas. The first layer should be an isolation fence with a self-closing, self latching gate that isolates the pool from the house and from the surrounding yard area. Many homeowners use the house as the fourth side of the barrier, which doesn’t provide any protection for the child living in or visiting the house.
This article says that the children may have pressed a button that retracted the automatic pool cover. These types of controls should be under a lock box or accessed by a combination code.
Some facts about drowning that most pool owners don’t realize are:
* Drowning is the second leading cause of unintentional injury death to children under age 5.
* Nearly half of child drowning victims were LAST SEEN IN THE HOUSE.
* Most drowning victims were missing for 5 minutes or less before being discovered in the pool and were being suprevised by one or both parents (who were momentarilly distracted by routine household activities.)
* Drowning is swift and silent. There is no splashing sound or cries for help.
* While it is impossible to be hypervigilant and keep our eyes on toddlers every second of the day, drowning is preventable. The U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission recently launched a national drowning prevention campaign at www.poolsafely.gov. The theme is Simple Steps Save Lives. Please share this information with other parents and pool owners and remember to Pool Safely.

home surveillance systems best buy July 20, 2010, 9:49 AM

Hey guys, this good wook!

PTZ network camera August 1, 2010, 11:24 PM

Hi guy, It sounds really good!

Lindsay @ Just My Blog August 24, 2010, 6:28 AM

What an unbelievable tragedy. Those poor babies and I cannot imagine what the parents are going through.

監視器 October 18, 2010, 6:46 PM

This has definitely sparked up an thought in my thoughts. That is a amazing web site submit.

greekspool November 2, 2010, 10:04 PM

I originate an compelling flash can be establish at pisina.com.gr look like you too….

Abercrombie and Fitch Outlet November 28, 2010, 1:07 AM

I wanted in order to thank you for this excellent read!! I absolutely enjoying every small bit of it We have you bookmarked to look at new stuff you submit

buy diazepam December 1, 2010, 3:04 PM

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point. You clearly know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?

SicilianMama December 3, 2010, 1:32 PM

This was truly heartbreaking to read! As a mother myself, my heart goes out to this family, and mostly the mother. I can not imagine the pain and guilt they will most likely carry for the rest of there lives. I have heard so many stories of this happening to children in mass which is the state I live in. Its scary to hear how often this has happened, even with all the security measures they took to protect there children…its just heartbreaking, and I’m sorry for there loss. My prayers are with this family a my heart goes out to them!

JESSYKA December 9, 2010, 1:03 PM

MY HEART GOES OUT TO THE FAMILY TRULY SORRY WHAT HAPPENED I HAVE TWIN BOYS AND I COULD NOT EVEN IMAGINE SO SORRY WE WILL KEEP YAL IN OUR PRAYERS

basit krep tarifi December 14, 2010, 12:35 AM

krep tarifi, tatli krep tarifi, sade krep tarifi, krep hamuru

Fun Free Bridal Shower Ideas December 15, 2010, 12:07 AM

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it’s a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Types Of Business Organizational Chart December 15, 2010, 12:31 AM

Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

2009 High School Senior Ideas January 6, 2011, 1:38 PM

It is difficult to make a man miserable while he feels worthy of himself and claims kindred to the great God who made him.

Unlock iPhone 2G January 13, 2011, 9:45 PM

The moment I found this page was like wow. Thanks for putting your effort in publishing this post.

lisbon rental accommodation January 22, 2011, 8:53 PM

Fish and Crustaceans | Meat, fowl and game | Cheeses | Desserts | Wines

Torty February 1, 2011, 6:49 PM

Thank you for your article.

chicken pox virus February 2, 2011, 8:10 AM

It’s really a nice and useful piece of info. I am glad that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

chicken pox in infants February 2, 2011, 9:15 AM

An fascinating discussion is value comment. I think that you must write more on this topic, it may not be a taboo topic however typically individuals are not enough to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers