Whoopi Goldberg: 'Mel Gibson Is NOT a Racist -- I Am!'

Earlier this week, Whoopi Goldberg defended Mel Gibson, saying that yes, he might be a "bonehead," but he's not a racist.

When the blogosphere tried to reconcile Goldberg's defense of Gibson with the tapes of the actor railing at his ex-girlfriend, they came up short.

Today on "The View," Whoopi addressed the public's criticism, even confessing that she herself has been guilty of using racial slurs.

What do you think? Does Whoopi have a point ... are we all racist? Does that excuse Mel Gibson's behavior?

next: Teen Trend: Making 'Haul Videos'
anonymous July 14, 2010, 3:11 PM

He’s frighteningly violent either way.

miya speller July 14, 2010, 4:21 PM

mel can go to hellll with his hatful, racist, bigitry…

Kit July 14, 2010, 5:41 PM

I couldn’t care less if he’s racist or not. What is painfully apparent is he has nil respect for women. He actually demanded sex…his ego is completely out of control but he obvviously has no self-respect. And, by the way, I’m with Oskana for recording the rants…who would have believed her if she hadn’t? I used to be a fan but I can’t even stand to see his picture now.

Tiffany July 14, 2010, 6:14 PM

He has no one to blame but himself for the consequences of his actions. He needs serious anger management!

frances July 14, 2010, 8:24 PM

the problem isnt only his racist remarks….i can’t really bother caring much about that…everyone on the planet can say what they want and racist remarks only shows that persons ignorance…its an issue they have to deal with not me…….what the real problem is the fact that he uses physical violence……..he hits a woman holding a baby…he blackens a persons eyes and knocks a persons teeth out…word are just that…words. but he has gone FAR beyond words….jail. he needs to be seen by a doctor and he needs to be arrested and sent to jail.

bazel July 15, 2010, 12:20 AM

I agree with Whoopi that most people (in private) make racial and prejudiced slurs. That said, Mel has clearly flipped, but this gal is largely to blame and she has always intended for Mel to pay… that is her M.O. Most insiders that know her say the same. She set this poor guy up and left no stone unturned. I’ll be saying prayers for Mel that he gets through this in one piece. Shame that this She-devil created another human and is using the child as a pawn to insense Mel. She knows exactly what she is doing. Men out there, beware.

Anonymous July 15, 2010, 4:13 AM

I also agree with Whoopi as far as everyone says racial things in private and if you say you don’t, then you’re not being truthfully. I also have a problem with the recorded rants. Mel is so out of control and she is so calm that it makes me think that she totally set it up that way. Don’t get me wrong, I was in a abusive relationship at one time so I certainly don’t agree with any man hitting a woman but something about this just doesn’t make sense to me. And his rant about the oral sex is not him demanded her doing it but screaming that he should have demanded her to do it. That is two totally different things. I don’t know the truth and neither does anyone else except for the two of them but I just don’t fully believe her side of it.

Leah July 15, 2010, 5:15 AM

That’s right, he’s not a racist. He’s a woman beating Anti-Semite - much better.

Anonymous July 15, 2010, 7:47 AM

Well, calling him an anti-semite is calling him a racist isn’t it? My only problem with this is the fact that she claims he hit her. I really could care less if he hates blacks, white, jews, gays, hispanics or whoever. No one says that everyone HAS to love everyone.

Pamala July 15, 2010, 9:24 AM

It’s still very obvious that people are taking what Whoopie said and not actually listening to it. He’s not racist. He’s a man with an anger management issue who spouts off with whatever he can when angry. He’s also very abusive. Now Whoopie did say that his behavior was unacceptable, I mean she said it two or three times, how funny it’s ignored. But that calling him a racist just made no sense because everyone when pushed past their breaking points can and probably does say something that could be looked at as racist. So either everyone is a racist or occasionally things that we know are wrong fly out of our mouths.

MP July 15, 2010, 9:26 AM

What about the fact that he is a woman beater? We have all used racist slurs…if you don’t you are a liar. We need to get a handle on the epidemic of domestic violence here. Why is everyone so focused on the racist thing? There is a bigger picture here people!

michelle July 15, 2010, 1:08 PM

Pamala, that is such cr*p. When you feel like you’re so mad or stressed you’re at the breaking point, do you right away break out the n word? I bet not. I certainly don’t. But Mel does. Why? Why would he go there? Because he’s a racist. Same thing when Whoopi tried to claim it was the alcohol talking. No it wasn’t. Alcohol just lowers your inhibitions so you end up saying what was already in your mind.

cinnamon July 16, 2010, 5:11 PM

The medial is crucifiying this man. Certianly he has issues and an anger management problem. Every one on this planet whether or not they want to admit it is a racist to some degree. It doesn’t necessarily have to do with color. Most people who scream racist are just as racist themselves. Has the media or anyone every heard of Innocent
until proven guilty. The domestic violence should be proven in a court of law, however, in an effort to protect women from domestic violence as well we should we have swung the pendulum too far to the left. Now a woman can accuse a man of domestic violence, she doesn’t have to have a mark on her, she can go down to any courthouse in America and press charges (she doesn’t even have to call the police.) She can go and get a civil ex-parte, have him removed from his home and then locked up. She gets a free domestic violence lawyer, he has to pay for one if he has a job. Then if it is proven that this woman lied, they rarely if ever prosecute her. They drop the charges but the man is left with the label woman beater and with a record he has to have expunged. I have seen it over and over again. If she has pictures, if he did all the physical stuff, and waved a gun at her, then she should have had him arrested in January. She claims she was afraid. These tapes were supposedly made in January and I find it reprehensible that she did nothing until this close to the custody hearing and had them leaked to the media so she could get public oppinon and support on her side. His ex wife states he was never physically abusive and one person states she didn’t believe it. It’s Hollywood! Who is able to keep that kind of abuse secret for 28 years? No doubt Mel needs anger management and counseling. He also walked right into this. Another older man trying to recapture his youth by thinking the grass is greener on the other side, now he sees it has to be mowed worst than the side he was on. I definitely feel sorry for his ex wife and his children, but I don’t feel sorry for Oskana….she knew he was married and she should have done what was right and called the police when her teeth were knocked out. Why not go to the emergency room and have them call the police? WE are to hate the sin, not the sinner. We all sin, and sin is sin, so everyone needs to let this play out privately like it should have in the first place.

bayleesgram98 July 16, 2010, 7:30 PM

I was very young when I was taught not to ever say racest remarks. Once I realised that “Indian giver” and “jew down” were racest slurs at about ten years of age. I never did it again. Mel is an actor who has played many parts, and knows all the words. I am sure when he is in a blind rage all the worst he has ever herd, comes pouring out. He has not had to hold his tongue, ever. He has been able to buy his way. He now needs to talk only to a trusted advisor, that is not a part of this mess or family.

lyn July 19, 2010, 10:44 AM

I believe Whoopi is dead-on regarding all of us being racist at some point in our lives. Like her example about traffic? I’m guilty of that. But do I hate all people whose skin, religion, culture, sexual orientation/preference or political views differ from mine? No. So, I would not call myself a racist. As for Mel Gibson’s rants, or anyone else’s, I have to ask myself if I have ever said in anger words I later regret. Oh my, yes. If he hit her, then he deserves to go to jail, no ifs, ands or buts. If he truly said these hateful words to her, he needs to go to anger management classes because he is out of control. I’m not “in” these relationships, and for that I am truly grateful, but I have been and am now in relationships: lovers, kids, co-workers, friends. They all deserve respect, at the very least. That is what this amounts to; lack of respect. Do NONE of these celebrities read other celebrity tales of sycophants(of both sexes) who immediately become pregnant so they can lock-in the money? Are they ALL idiots?

Lyn July 19, 2010, 10:51 AM

Okay, not both sexes. (My previous post.) Most men can’t get pregnant, themselves. (Though at least one “man” did, LOL.) I’m just tired of seeing the new loves of celebrities, and thinking, “Wow, wonder how long before that young beauty is preggers?” And how long before they split and we see a jabillion news items about their fights and custody battles. It’s those precious babies who suffer. In the case of stupid Mel and his blood-sucking beauty, I say give their daughter to Robyn. She’s the ONLY stable person in that threesome, sadly.