She says that the number of American women who are childless has nearly doubled since 1976, rising from 10 percent of the population to 18 percent.
Are legal abortions to blame for declining birthrates? No way, says Marcotte.
The reasons women are childless by choice, according to Marcotte, are:
- We're finally admitting that motherhood isn't all it's cracked up to be.
- Lack of maternal/paternal instinct.
- We love our life or our relationship as it is.
- We do not want to take on the responsibility.
- Childlessness is good ... for some children. ("Not everyone will be a good parent," one woman said. "More people should be child-free.")
What do you think of women who are childless by choice?