Woman Sues Airline over Screaming Toddler!

momlogic's Vivian: Last year, I wrote a blog called "Air Wars" -- a vivid recollection of a nightmare plane ride with my inconsolable 2-year old. Half of you deeply felt my pain; the other half felt compelled to chastise me for neglecting to drug my daughter into a complacent, drooling silence. (Benadryl isn't always the answer, BTW -- it's scientifically proven to make some kids even more hyper. But I digress.)

toddler crying

Anyway, a poor mom enveloped in the flames of a similar hell recently had to tolerate even bigger jackasses than I did -- and one of them even sprung a lawsuit on the airline!

Time.com reports that American tourist Jean Barnard, 67, found the nerve to sue Qantas because (she claims) the staff of the airline failed to protect her from the screaming toddler she blames for permanent hearing loss!

Barnard said, "The pain was so excruciating that I didn't even know I was deaf." In response, Qantas legal said, "Flight attendants cannot predict when children aboard an aircraft are about to scream. There is no evidence that the child was screaming in the terminal, or on board the aircraft prior to the particular scream which allegedly caused the damage."

The case settled last week, but we were treated to this last missive from the woman (WHO WORE A HEARING AID DURING THE FLIGHT IN QUESTION): "I guess we are simply fortunate that my eardrum was exploding and I was swallowing blood. Had it not been for that, I would have dragged that kid out of his mother's arms and stomped him to death."

Um, her preexisting deafness couldn't have been aggravated by the sudden change in cabin pressure that occurs during ALL flights, could it?

And lemme guess: She doesn't have kids, right?

next: Road Trippin': How to Save Money on Hotels
Anon July 21, 2010, 12:14 PM

Wait a minute!!! This woman has a right to a peaceful flight doesn’t she? I fail to understand why those of you with children think that anything your child does or causes to happen is okay and those of us without children should just “shut up”. I don’t have children and I do get very upset when I am spending my money to go somewhere/do soemthing and the time is ruined by a parent who just doesn’t get why their screaming child is irritating. There are lots of places where children just should not be. But most parents that I have observed obviously don’t feel that way. I think parents should recognize that disruptive children are a pain and they should remove their children or teach them manners.

Jme July 21, 2010, 12:35 PM

WOW Anon, I hope to god you never have kids!!!! Sometimes you have to take children on planes to get where you’re going, sometimes they misbehave, get a grip & bring ear plugs if it bothers you that much, druging your kids isn’t the answer nor is not taking them on planes. Everyone was a kid once, were you the most well behaved child there ever was?! I think not!

ANON July 21, 2010, 1:06 PM

NOPE, I WASN’T THE MOST WELL-BEHAVED KID EVER! AND I GOT THE SPANKINGS AND GROUNDINGS THAT WENT WITH THAT. BUT I DEFINITELY KNEW BETTER THAN TO EMBARRASS MY PARENTS MY MAKING A SCENE IN PUBLIC. I WAS TAUGHT THAT CHILDREN SHOULD BE SEEN AND NOT HEARD IN PUBLIC. DON’T GET ME WRONG, WE WERE A PRETTY WILD BUNCH (5 KIDS) BUT MY PARENTS TAUGHT US THAT OTHER PEOPLE DESERVED OUR RESPECT AND THAT MEANT NOT ACTING LIKE WILD INDIANS IN PUBLIC. AND WHEN WE HAD BABIES IN OUR FAMILY, MY PARENTS EITHER PAID FOR A BABYSITTER OR DID NOT GO OUT BECAUSE THERE ARE PLACES THAT ARE SIMPLY INAPPROPRIATE FOR CHILDREN. BELIEVE ME, I LOVE KIDS BUT I AM NOT GOING TO SIT BY WHILE A SCREAMING CHILD DISRUPTS MY DAY/NIGHT/DINNER OUT. I SIMPLY THINK THAT PARENTS SHOULD UNDERSTAND THAT YOUR CHILDREN ARE WONDERFUL TO YOU BUT SOME OF US THINK THAT WHINING/CRYING/COMPAINING JAG SHOULD BE CONTROLLED BY YOU. AND YES, I UNDERSTAND THAT SOMETIMES KIDS HAVE TO BE ON AIRPLANES, ETC BUT TRY TO CONTROL THEM OR AT LEAST, GO TO THE BATHROOM TO TRY TO CALM THEM. I DON’T WANT TO HEAR IT AND DON’T THINK I SHOULD HAVE TO.

Kelly July 21, 2010, 1:24 PM

Wow. Anon, “wild indians”, so not only do you think others shouldn’t bother YOU, you’re a racist on top of that. I think it speaks volumes to the point you were making. What person does your child become when they are hit and taught to “not be heard”…..they turn into individuals who rant about others. I am a mother of 4, and would not allow them to disrupt others in a restaurant/movie, etc. But, an airplane is completely different. You should not expect to be on an airplane without disruption. You are trapped in a small space to go somewhere, not to relax. A 2 yr old is hardly old enough to be expected to not cry if scared, or ears hurting, etc. That’s perfectly normal and should be expected. If you cannot handle being around the public, you should be the one that stays home, not them.

Laura July 21, 2010, 1:27 PM

Anon—what would you suggest the parents do to “control” the screaming child? Hold their hand over the kid’s mouth? Your suggestion of taking the child to the bathroom is ridiculous—first of all, what if there’s turbulence and passengers are supposed to remain in their seat? Or there’s a line for the bathroom and someone starts complaining that they are hogging the bathroom? What then? Trust me, the whole situation is a hell of a lot less fun for the parents! Remember, not only is the child screaming RIGHT IN the parent’s ears, but the parent also has to deal with the dirty looks and comments from insensitive people like you. As for your comment about children being seen and not heard, I pray that you do have children someday. Tell that to them when they are 2 years old! Yes, you may have understood how you were supposed to act when you were older, but I guarantee you the child in question here was too young to understand. I’m sure you don’t remember anything from when you were 2 or so. Ask your parents if you ever embarrassed the hell out of them at that age

michelle July 21, 2010, 1:34 PM

Anon, no, you do not have the “right” to a peaceful flight. When you buy a ticket you have the right to be taken from point A to point B. That’s it. If you want peace, pay extra for business class where there are no toddlers.

MommyLisa July 21, 2010, 2:07 PM

Kids do NOT (especially TWO YEAR OLDS) “make a scene” in public or purposley embarass their parents!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE…kids get tired and cannot deal very well with it sometimes. AND they don’t know how to swallow or yawn and clear their ears from the cabin pressure either! Buy some earplugs or noise cancellation headphones and get over yourself.

I do not sue airlines over rowdy drunk people on flights and they are just as annoying - and SUPPOSEDLY adults.

And I totally agree with Laura - it IS less fun for the parents than it is for the other passengers. A colleague I was with on a flight who was childless kept ROLLING her eyes about a crying BABY in front of her….what a b——! I almost slapped her. The poor parents were doing EVERYTHING they could and I could see they felt at the end of their rope.

ATJE July 21, 2010, 2:26 PM

Being a parent with an upset baby or toddler on an airplane is one of the most stressful events ever. If the kid is 5, then they may be acting out, but any less and it could just be their eats popping, or their seat sucks. Young kids can;t control their emotions well. Having been in 2 wars, I can say that they pretty much come in at a distant second to the stress from having your own screaming baby on a plane. Barring a complete brat, cut the parents a break. Bring some headphones.

momof2boys July 21, 2010, 3:31 PM

I think there is a reason Avon has no kids… I’m sorry that Avon has not had the pleasure that all of us Moms have had, and to learn that Motherhood is hard, and NO child is perfect. I use to think the same thing, why can’t you controll your childs crying/acting out, well guess what, you CAN NOT controll every thing you child does. Meaning you can’t always make/help them stop crying, especially a 2 year old!! If you don’t want to hear a child cry/scream, then don’t fly on a public plane, drive your own car where you know there will be no children or rude people!

Lisa July 21, 2010, 4:08 PM

I have kids and hate going on the airplane because it’s not fun with kids but sometime I HAVE to take them on the plane. Are we suppose to not move because we have kids? or not go on a vacation? Hello this is just ridiculous!

Anonymous July 21, 2010, 5:01 PM

All i have to say is, WOW Anon. What a b****!

tennmom July 21, 2010, 8:42 PM

I have 2 kids. I never put them on a plane a toddlers.
Emergency? Try the bus or a train.
So sorry self-entitled parents, but NO OTHER PERSON EXCEPT FOR YOU should be asked to put up with YOUR screaming child.
Vacation? Sure, go on vacation, but don’t expect anyone else to put up with the screaming of your child. I think there should be an added fee if YOUR child is disrupting the peace.
I support the idea of no children under 10 flights/trains. I support the idea of charging parents of pain-in-the-butt kids additional fees. If your screaming kid ruins my flight/ride, you should pay for it. How about…keep your annoying child home?

jennifer July 21, 2010, 10:02 PM

She would have “stomped him to death”???

Never mind the alleged screaming, if you make the unfortunate mistake of saying that about MY child, you’d better hope you can outrun me.

jennifer July 21, 2010, 10:05 PM

And to Anon- you’re delusional. Get some earplugs and get over yourself. I’d take dealing with an anxious crying kid over some of the other characters on planes these days…. horrific body odor, too fat to fit in one seat so they spill over into yours, gallons of perfume, toxic breath of seatmates…the list is endless.

Debs July 22, 2010, 4:46 AM

What can you do to control your child?

You’re a parent and you haven’t learned that yet? It’s perfectly simple. Keep your children in places they belong - home, school, parks, swimming pools, etc.

Restaurants and planes are not appropriate places for children. Either put off that trip until they’re older, or find an alternative method of travel, one that can be broken into chunks that alternate between travel and play. Is it really so hard to wait until they’ve grown old enough to understand the rules before showing them the world?

Personally, I hope that this lady’s hearing returns and that she has been able to get the medical help she needs.

Jana July 22, 2010, 5:36 AM

Vivian - just because you are one of those entitled people that think it is perfectly acceptable to let your special little angel scream, yell, jump, bounce and do as it pleases does not mean anyone complaining does not have children. I can guarantee YOU are one of those people who don’t even buy a seat for their baby and then let them ooze over onto other passengers.

People paying for tickets have right to a peaceful flight. If children cannot be controlled then they are not old enough to fly. There are many other modes of transportation available for parents of small children -I know because I was considerate enough to use them prior to my children being ready to fly. Which, when they did fly I came well prepared, bought them their own seats and did indeed use benadryll or scheduled the flight at night so they would sleep. The people that get hyped from benadryll are a fraction of people and typically not children (as a pharmacist I understand how drugs can work)

Jilly July 22, 2010, 8:19 AM

Tennmom, I fail to see how a bus or train is different, you still can’t remove the child while in motion? Anon, I realize it is frustrating, I have 2 kids and if I hear a screamer, I am not happy either, BUT they have as much of a right to travel as you do and believe me, the parent who is holding that child is not having any fun either. It is our one of our worst travel fears to have a meltdown and not be able to have any recourse(granted there are some people who just don’t care and don’t do anything no matter where they are, they ARE jerks!) Unfortunately, we have to coexist with children being children…..worse we have to exist with adults who don’t know how to behave! I know it is frustrating, but have some empathy for the parent who is responsible and is suffering also…sometimes children meltdown and since they are not equipt to handle their emotions, like ADULTS, they cry at no fault of anyone! Again, most of are trying like the devil to alleviate the issue, not purposely trying to annoy you.

Stacie July 22, 2010, 8:23 AM

This really doesn’t have to be an adult versus child issue, or a parent versus non-parent issue. First off, when an adult buys a plane ticket, they are probably aware that there will be annoyances along the way, and should be able to emotionally handle such things. Secondly, when a parent buys a ticket for a baby or small child, they should anticipate the stress that the travel will put on said child, and take steps to thwart it as best as can be done. However, both parties should take a deep breath and realize that the flight won’t last forever. If you get to your destination safely, then you’ve met your goal. No one really wants to be in the crying/screaming child situation: not the parents, not the child, and not the other passengers. Let’s all try to help each other out instead of slinging mud! Jeez.

michelle July 22, 2010, 8:50 AM

tennmom, congrats on the two huge logic fails in one post. How is a screaming kid on a bus or train any better than one on a plane? And you want extra fees for parents of disruptive kids…OK, so your solution is for the airline to get more money while the annoyed passengers get nothing? Maybe you are happy being a provincial homebody who has no need to go anywhere, but some of us need to and want to fly with kids. You enjoy your trip on Greyhound, though.

Jamie July 22, 2010, 9:11 AM

Jilly & Michelle -SERIOUSLY, 2 adults can’t see the difference between traveling on a train or bus and an AIRPLANE!?!? Have either of you ever used these modes for extended travel? Clearly not. Let me explain VERY simply for you. Trains, first of all, offer much larger seats and passengers are expected to move up and down the aisles (unlike in a plane when aside from using a lavatory passengers should remain seated/seat belted at all times). Trains used for longers travels also have separate eating cars and usually and “entertainment” car that will show a movie. I’ve used the train to travel cross country w/my children so I’m very well versed.

As for buses, once again far larger seating area AND many schedule stops that allow for little ones to get a breather. No altitude changes that my affect little ones ears either.

Honestly, babies just don’t belong on planes and by 2 they should be controlled enough to handle a short plane ride. If not, then that’s just bad parenting.