Woman Sues Airline over Screaming Toddler!

momlogic's Vivian: Last year, I wrote a blog called "Air Wars" -- a vivid recollection of a nightmare plane ride with my inconsolable 2-year old. Half of you deeply felt my pain; the other half felt compelled to chastise me for neglecting to drug my daughter into a complacent, drooling silence. (Benadryl isn't always the answer, BTW -- it's scientifically proven to make some kids even more hyper. But I digress.)

toddler crying

Anyway, a poor mom enveloped in the flames of a similar hell recently had to tolerate even bigger jackasses than I did -- and one of them even sprung a lawsuit on the airline!

Time.com reports that American tourist Jean Barnard, 67, found the nerve to sue Qantas because (she claims) the staff of the airline failed to protect her from the screaming toddler she blames for permanent hearing loss!

Barnard said, "The pain was so excruciating that I didn't even know I was deaf." In response, Qantas legal said, "Flight attendants cannot predict when children aboard an aircraft are about to scream. There is no evidence that the child was screaming in the terminal, or on board the aircraft prior to the particular scream which allegedly caused the damage."

The case settled last week, but we were treated to this last missive from the woman (WHO WORE A HEARING AID DURING THE FLIGHT IN QUESTION): "I guess we are simply fortunate that my eardrum was exploding and I was swallowing blood. Had it not been for that, I would have dragged that kid out of his mother's arms and stomped him to death."

Um, her preexisting deafness couldn't have been aggravated by the sudden change in cabin pressure that occurs during ALL flights, could it?

And lemme guess: She doesn't have kids, right?

next: Road Trippin': How to Save Money on Hotels
Chelsey July 27, 2010, 10:52 AM

The lady that sued is kind of over the top.especially with the comment she made about stomping the kid to death.that’s horrible.I have a 4 yr old with autism and he screeches but he can’t control it.I will try and avoid airplanes as best I can because I do not want to disturbe others .but if need be in case of emergency I will have to fly with him.but I will take him to the bathroom and calm him down.I wouldn’t just let him sit there and screech the entire flight without doing something to try and control it.I do however take my son to dinner with me and to the movies.if he starts acting up (which is a rare ocassion)or is making to much noise I get up immediatly and take him in the bathroom or outside so as not to disturb others.although I paid like everyone else and my food might get cold or I may miss parts of the movie.it’s my responsibility to keep my child quiet.and I had the expectation that something may happen because I have a 4 yr old.parents it’s up to you to keep your child quiet.if they’re disturbing others get up and try to calm them .if they continue leave.you can’t leave in an airplane so that’s unavoidable.but you can take them to the bathroom as much as possible.so at least you give others a break.in the airplane situation I think the airlines that make millions off of us should start having family flights that are just for people and they’re kids.or put sound proof Botha or something on one side of the plane lol

AGW July 27, 2010, 11:00 AM

“OMG”…get over yourself already, every child is different. You just got lucky with yours, doesn’t mean you are mother of the century and deserving and award. I have 4 boys and everyone of them was different. Sometimes a child just may be very sick, maybe an ear infection or teething. Im native american, and I find that offensive “wild indians” give me a break.

Robyn July 27, 2010, 11:05 AM

I don’t understand why a baby or child does not have to have their own seat on a plane. I would think they would have to have their own seat and be in a car seat or booster seat the entire trip for safety issues. When it is time to put on seat belts what happens to the kids? Parents just hope they won’t go flying into the wall if something happens. wierd. I never took my kids on a plane but if I did i would want them securely in a seat and have treats, fluids I liked road trips and trains myself and ferries and boats

AGW July 27, 2010, 11:18 AM

I guess most of all, the airline should be kind enough to hand out noise proof earphones to all the passengers around this child. The passenger may be sick have a bad headache or just not feeling well, need to rest and can’t with a sreaming child. The airlines make enough money to provide these in such a situation.

Anonymous July 27, 2010, 11:38 AM

I agree the AirPlane thing is stupid but i do have kids and when my kids were young i took them to movies and they acted up then i left the Theatre instead of imposing my rights over the rights of others. Yet other people don’t do that because the Parent so called say they paid ticket and couldn’t find baby sitter for the movie well then Postpone movie. That is the only place screaming child should not be in the Movie theatre but Airplane i think that woman was stupid and wanted money and she proabably was going deaf before but never told anyone.

Kalana July 27, 2010, 11:44 AM

Ok so why is it that if I don’t care to tolerate YOUR screaming children(I really don’t care why they are screaming-it’s still annoying and still triggers a headache)on a flight, somehow that makes ME the bad guy ? I am not the one disturbing you or the rest of the flight. Ridiculous !! I am so sick and tired of parents (and I am a mother of 4) stomping up and down about the “rights” of their children and how they should be allowed to basically do what ever they want, where ever they want.

Anonymous July 27, 2010, 12:04 PM

I Known who is really to blame Big corp.Who fit people in like sardines for money in the 50’s as such the rich paid taxes to the fullest amount like everyone else roads were fixed and bridges built as well as corp. couldn’t Monoply the situation now Disney owns westing house and abc. You go to Disneyland and they don’t cutoff how many people allowed in the park like they used to now sardines again we are at Disneyland but they did in the 50’s when Walt was alive. Big Namesless corp.who own everything and airlines ,etc are the true evil they want people to fit sardine like in the airplane & no you shouldn’t have to pay more for upper ticket because we pay enough people are numbers that is it and no one cares about the individual at all. And if you think i am off the subject i am not because if they care they would provide us with choices like more room in the planes & spaced apart where child feels comfort instead of worried about this stranger reaching over his mommy to grab something he dropped.

Nicci July 27, 2010, 12:05 PM

I find it interesting how children always seemed to be blamed for obnoxious behavior and not obnoxious adults. Last year I was on a flight where I worked very hard to keep my child calm, quiet and happy. All the while there are 2 men in front of me that seem to think it’s ok to have a conversation very loudly about politics and religion. How about cell phone calls where adults think that not only the caller should hear them but so should everyone in a 100ft radius. Most parents try very hard to keep their children happy and calm during a flight.

Cynthia S July 27, 2010, 12:09 PM

I don’t expect a 2 year old to have manners. I would appreciate a child free flight for the same reason. Heck fat people are discriminated against on planes and it’s legal! To the back of the plane with kids, curtained off. If it is such agony for these youngsters why are the parents subjecting them to this ‘high pressure’ situation. That should be illegal. If a kid can’t relieve the pressure in his/her ears, the kiddies should not be there. Parents need to make preparations for the journey. I can’t turn my metal rock up over the screaming tots, gee that would be offensive…..

De July 27, 2010, 12:16 PM

ok different anon i Hear what you are saying so putting a child through a 12hr bus ride from calgary to kelowna VS and hr flight for there grandfather’s funeral is better??

ThoughtsofTHATmom July 27, 2010, 12:34 PM

Tennmom, there are times when someone has no choice BUT to take a plane. A plane ride across the country (from Nevada to New York) is something that can be done in a day barring no delays from weather. A train, bus, or car would take, literally, DAYS of travel.

In an emergency situation (illness or death in the family), that just isn’t practical or sometimes even possible given available vacation time.

De July 27, 2010, 12:35 PM

god grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things i can and the WISDOM to know the difference!
I have the right to not accept unacceptable behaviour and I can start by not accepting it from myself!!

Sonya July 27, 2010, 1:13 PM

Anon let me come to your defense…I DO HAVE KIDS who I love more than life itself…but I hate to inconvenience anyone around me with my “angels” when they are having a bad day. I realize they are MY kids and no one else’s dinner, movie or other non-child specific event should be disturbed by my children. My husband and I have eaten many cold dinners because we have had to take our kids out of a crowded restaurant to not disturb other diners (because our kids were tired, cranky or just mad at not getting their way.) And as a parent let me say I HATE THOSE PARENTS WHO THINK EVERYTHING LITTLE JOHNNY DOES IS CUTE OR AMUSING TO EVERYONE ELSE AROUND THEM. Parents get a clue and take some responsibility for parenting your kids…sometimes its inconvenient- but we all CHOSE this life.

de July 27, 2010, 1:27 PM

And if this woman was wearing a hearing aid why didnt she turn it down? Was she even allowed to be on a plane with the pressure change? maybe it was that that did it? Ive been around my fair share of earpiercing screams, before and after having children and I have never blown out an eardrum, that seems a lil fishy.

The outrage here is the fact that this person said that they “would have stomped the child to death” That is uttering a deaththreat she could be charged criminally!!! Look it up, its a serious offence!
In what world is speaking such foulness acceptable?!

de July 27, 2010, 1:31 PM

I am a mother of 3 girls, 3, 2 and 1
I agree with Stacie…. this isnt
adult versus child issue, or a parent versus non-parent issue.
Yes if your child is prone to outbursts maybe not traveling at a young age is best or not going to fancy restaurants.
But traveling on a plane in coach you dont know who your going to be sitting near or around on the plane, stinky farting ppl, perfume, obnoxious whatever, should they be charged an extra amt becuase they are disturbing me?

Anonymous July 27, 2010, 1:38 PM

I don’t know if I would sue the airlines, but it would be nice if they had a section set aside for people with small children so others could fly in quite. I feel sorry for both. I have to admit I get very angry at people with screaming kids.

OMG July 27, 2010, 1:42 PM

Wow. Apparently, I have only seen three other parents in here, besides myself, who are “good” parents. Thank you Cathy, Jean and Sonya!!! Well said. You are all jumping to the defense of this bratty 2-year old child. Let me tell you: The CHILD wasn’t the problem. It is the PARENTS. Hello? The PARENTS are adults and, as such, should KNOW about cabin pressure and how it affects the ears. They could have purchased a cheap pair of earplugs for the flight. And, you don’t even KNOW if that’s why this kid kept screaming. MOST of the parents I see today have no business being parents. Yes, I have walked out of movie theaters, restaurants, and church (if my daughter was acting up). Of course, this RARELY happened (since I taught her right from wrong). A 2-year old KNOWS right from wrong. So, I definitely BLAME the parents. The “good” parents I listed KNOW that there are steps you need to do to calm your child down. These parents probably did nothing. I see if just about every day. I went out to a very expensive restaurant one time, and there was a family there. The kids were all done eating and were RUNNING around the tables, ALL OVER THE PLACE. The parents were talking to each other and ignoring their children. So, do NOT blame ANON for how she felt. You were NOT there. Again, these parents should not have subjected anyone to their annoying screaming toddler. For those who said 2-year olds have the right to do anything they want on a plane (because they paid for a ticket and they cannot control themselves), then we would have to include EVERYONE in that rule. How many times have you flown to see an adult get arrested upon landing (for their rude behavior)? Or, let’s say you (an adult) is very sick (with the SWINE FLU), but you HAVE to attend a funeral or something. Does this SICK individual (who cannot help it) have the right to infect everyone else on the plane? If you said, “yes,” this is why there are so many out-of-control teens today (thugs involved in gangs and such). They are not shown love, not given attention, not talked to but spanked instead, ignored, etc., etc. And, to ROSE (who ignorantly said that anyone with a hearing issue should fly in a cargo plane with human remains) and then said (I can’t believe how many rude and ignorant people there are in this world). Well, ROSE—consider yourself ONE of those RUDE and IGNORANT people. I pray to God that you never have a child who is hearing impaired. What would you do then? Would YOU fly first-class and put your child in a cargo plane with human remains??? You are sick. Did you think of the people who have fought for your freaking Country and died in the process and their families had to fly their “human remains” back to the States? Of course not. You are one RUDE and IGNORANT person. I hope I never encounter any of your children. Most of the parents in here need serious parenting classes—except for Cathy, Jean, Sonya and myself. We all are level-headed, responsible parents who do not ignore our children, teach them right from wrong, and comfort them so as not to annoy others. The rest of you (who “put up” with your child’s relentless screaming) will end up with teens on drugs, involved in gangs, or worse—end up in jail. Why? Because none of you (with the few exceptions) have taken the time to learn HOW to become a GOOD PARENT. And, AGW—if you got THAT upset over the comment “wild Indians,” you are not as proud of your heritage as you should be. I, too, am a Native American Indian and quite PROUD. Not only am I PROUD of my heritage; but, I’m PROUD that I took the time to love and care for my daughter the RIGHT way so she would turn out to be the loving, caring, decent, well-mannered, responsible adult that she is today! That’s it. I will find out the NAME of this ROTTEN family who took their 2-year old on a plane (without a clue to bring earplugs or activities or anything else they should know would comfort their child)—and I will send a note for Super Nanny to pay them a much-needed visit. Perhaps, then, these parents will learn how to control their children. WAKE UP PEOPLE. PARENTS ARE IN CONTROL (or should be) OF THEIR CHILDREN; NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!

OMG July 27, 2010, 1:45 PM

bugznbabz July 27, 2010, 2:06 PM

So let me get this straight, I’m a bad parent for not drugging or beating my child into submission. Also I should take a train or bus, from Florida to Oregon, to see the Grandparents just so that some very insensitive people can have a nice quiet plane ride? Really? Did you know that we now have to pay for our toddlers seat on a plane? So they are a paying customer just like the rest of us. So are we gonna make the obnoxious snorer, smelly guy or obsessive talkers now take the trian too? It’s not gonna happen folks. Complain all you want, there will ALWAYS be annoyances on planes, everywhere as a matter of fact. You’re gonna have to get used to it.

amber July 27, 2010, 2:56 PM

Anon, obviously the parent that was on the airline also paid to be there and they also paid for the child more than likely. so that person including the child has everyright to be how they were. im not saying its okay that children go crazy and scream bloody murder but you were a kid once and im sure you werent perfect.Its not always easy to control a child a todler at that on an airplane the store the car the train or anywhere especially if they are not confertable, scared, excited or may even just not have the diciplin they need but its not the flight attendants job to make sure that other peoples children are quiet.. its also frustrating when people who dont have kids think they have more of a right to things or that were bad people cuz we have kids.. and i may not be just responding to you now and i understand what being courtieous is and im just saying its not right what this lady did tryin to sue the airline its rediculous