You Be the Judge: Is This REALLY a Parenting Fail?

It's getting harder and harder to be a parent these days, particularly since the term "parenting fail" has entered our daily lingo.

The trend of spotting mom-and-dad shortcomings has had help from Failblog.org, a website dedicated to finding photos that have caught people in the act of "failing." Today, Failblog posted a picture of a woman gambling with her back turned away from a baby in a car seat. So far, Failblog readers have posted more than 140 comments, most of them criticizing the woman for what they believe are her crummy parenting skills:

"Come on, Mom! You don't just abandon your baby for electronic gambling."

"LOL, imagine the look on the cop's face when she would go tell her story."

"She'll have to go home and smoke some crack to calm her down ...."

Pretty harsh words ... but are they justified? Tell us in our poll below.

parenting-fail-yesno2.jpg

next: Lose Weight By Running on Mel Gibson's Face
Jennifer July 15, 2010, 3:38 PM

That’s stupid. That may not even be her kid.

Nell July 15, 2010, 4:36 PM

Aside from what may or may not be happening in this photo. This whole “parent-fail” thing is just plain. Whatever happened to “helping” your fellow brother or sister who may be having a hard time in life and trying to cope, rather than poking fun at them. Isn’t this really all we are doing? Does name calling help?

GINGER July 15, 2010, 4:44 PM

THAT PERSON TAKING THE PICTURE OF THE OTHER PERSON COULD HAVE BEEN THE CHILDS MOTHER OR IT COULD HAVE BEEN A FATHER WATCHING HIS WIFE PLAY THE GAME AND WAS JUST TAKING PICTURES OF THE GAMES….GEE PEOPLE CALM DOWN.

Nell July 15, 2010, 4:45 PM

Also, Jennifer may be right. To answer the question… “No”. I don’t agree with what she is doing and IT IS WRONG…her child or not….but I wouldn’t judge her and call her a “failure” over it. No one is perfect. She may be on the verge of breaking down, with all that is going on in this country.

…and before anyone pokes fun at my comment…Excuse the typos. I know there should be a comma after the first sentence, and “MEAN” after the word plain.

Carol July 15, 2010, 9:29 PM

She maybe a gambling addict. And addicts of any sort make bad judgement calls when they need a fix.
But the real fail is have slots in a store. I mean that does look like a drug store shelf. Yikes. Makj=king slots that readily available is just asking for troubles in the communities.

Meghan July 16, 2010, 8:26 AM

I don’t think this picture is as bad as some of the ones I’ve seen. I’ve submitted my own Parenting Fail picture of a Mother smoking nearly 9 months pregnant at a playground with beer on the picnic table next to her.

There certainly are different degrees of whether or not it’s a parenting fail.

Glenda Foulds February 11, 2011, 3:49 AM

Hello. magnificent job. I did not anticipate this. This is a impressive story. Thanks!

hippie fancy dress costumes March 28, 2011, 7:48 AM

Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen.